February announcement?

NXEA!

38 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

How do I tell my Tri-ang D5572 it is no longer wanted as there is a newer and prettier Brush Type 2?

As for duplication, buy the one you like or can afford. If you like both and can afford both, think about buying both.

It do look good in the video. And the Accurascale one looks good in the cabinet on their stand.

My two Airfix ones are still very good runners. They were a revelation when they came out 40+ years ago...

• Like 5
  • Agree 3

48 minutes ago, locoholic said:

Looks like some market research has indicated that Classes 31, 37 and 47 are the "centre ground" of British railway modelling, and no manufacturer will achieve supremacy unless they win that ground. That approach is working well in other spheres, after all!

Add the 03/04, 08, 20, 24/24 on top. Bachmann has covered most with all new tooling.

Hornby are a bit stuffed. All their flagship diesels are now being done better elsewhere except the 08/09 and HST.

Edited by JSpencer
  • Like 2

I dunno if this’ll get deleted but i have it on good authority that Bachman’s others announcements will contain a class 50 and class 87…  possibly a new pannier tank too.. (runs for cover) whether there’s any truth in this remains o be seen. 

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

Seems people have forgotten but looking back beyond 2 years ago there were constant grumbles about the lack of class 31 models from Hornby. Not bad models but a lack of long lived and popular liveries being produced

With that background it seems a sensible choice for another manufacturer to take on? Accurascale announced their model only 2 years ago and now Bachmann. With a prototype so long lived, well travelled and with such a variety of liveries I can see both being popular and it will be interesting to see the liveries being offered tomorrow. Hoping for a Fragonset one, I do like the look of the variable fan speed

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Unexpected announcement in the frothing area...

I must be one of the very few who don't mind duplication.  It gives choice and when it is a long lived and numerous class should mean the companies will each get something back.  I've got three Accurascale models of their 31 on order and if Bachmann cover locos not on the Accurascale list I'll probably go for additional Bachmann examples as well.  They were literally everywhere in the Midlands in the 1980s and 90s as they replaced 25s, and even before then were a regular sight in the 60s and 70s (there's even a fantastic photo of one in the newly built Coventry station pre electrification on the daily Birmingham to Harwich boat train which used to run via Coventry, Rugby and what is now the A14 to Peterborough} and I've always had a soft spot for them, having endured numerous Midlands-East Anglia crawls across the Fens behind them.

I wonder if they released this video the day before so that all the "Why another one?" gumflapping could be out of the way before they make the main announcement?

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

Add the 03/04, 08, 20, 24/24 on top. Bachmann has covered most with all new tooling.

Hornby are a bit stuffed. All their flagship diesels are now being done better elsewhere except the 08/09 and HST.

You're assuming that they want a dog in the fight. Hornby's more recent tooling is covering other subjects (big/unusual/classic steam, Railroad, plus things like the VEP and Stadler units). Other than that they have cranked out further 08s, 31s, 50s and 60s from tools made a long time ago now and therefore we can assume the initial investment is long paid off

• Like 4

1 minute ago, wombatofludham said:

Unexpected announcement in the frothing area...

I must be one of the very few who don't mind duplication.  It gives choice and when it is a long lived and numerous class should mean the companies will each get something back.  I've got three Accurascale models of their 31 on order and if Bachmann cover locos not on the Accurascale list I'll probably go for additional Bachmann examples as well.  They were literally everywhere in the Midlands in the 1980s and 90s as they replaced 25s, and even before then were a regular sight in the 60s and 70s (there's even a fantastic photo of one in the newly built Coventry station pre electrification on the daily Birmingham to Harwich boat train which used to run via Coventry, Rugby and what is now the A14 to Peterborough} and I've always had a soft spot for them, having endured numerous Midlands-East Anglia crawls across the Fens behind them.

I wonder if they released this video the day before so that all the "Why another one?" gumflapping could be out of the way before they make the main announcement?

I agree. Especially now that very specific examples are modelled, we are a long way from the 'one in green and one in blue' days of modernisation plan diesels. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, wombatofludham said:

which must rule it out as a retrofit to other locos or coaches

Roco have offered a DCC uncoupling retro fit for years - but its not cheap.

I can't see any reason why Bachmann could not offer this feature as a retrofit, but I imagine it would be a challenging instillation.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, wombatofludham said:

I assume the auto uncoupler will need some sort of electrically fed DCC linked socket in order to be able to uncouple, which must rule it out as a retrofit to other locos or coaches without them.  

It is for the SFX specials only. And the vid shows that the chip performs a sequence:

1/ buffer up

2/ trigger uncoupling mech

3/ pull back a few mm

And my guess there will be one on each end since the hardest operation to automate in DCC is to uncouple, run round to the other end and recouple up again.

IF you are using magnets (like buck-eyes or modified tension locs), you need a space to detect when the loco enters a braking zone, then a space that it will move slowly too to uncouple, and it needs to stop within a few CM gap. Then go back same 5mm, hope it has uncoupled and then pull away.

Further detectors required to determine when the points are cleared, run round, and gently couple up.

Very complex under an automated DCC system though can be done by eye (and you can pause the computer) program to allow for this action.

This system makes detection easier, as you do not need to know within a few cm of where the loco stops.

TBH, I remember Hattons advertising a system a few years back. But never saw the details.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

I’d say 08 and 20 are the other big flagship diesels (ignoring the HST which is in the iconic category). Bachmann have the 20 market cornered, however it does feel like a new 08 is only a matter of time, despite the existing Hornby and Bachmann efforts already being excellent. Question is, who will get there first? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NXEA! said:

Usually I don’t comment negatively as it’s up to manufacturers to decide what they’re going to produce and whether it’s commercially viable, and I’m all for competition but can’t help but feel a bit disappointed and slightly baffled.

There’s plenty of choice out there to either do something brand new to OO gauge RTR or something due an upgrade, but they’re choosing to compete against Accurascale again (who’s project has been well known about for a long time), and as we’ve seen with the 37’s the market appears oversaturated and it will happen again with these. Not only that, as nice as the Accurascale model is it’s a little debatable whether an upgrade was that necessary given the Hornby model is high fidelity and very very good - so we’re expecting the market to support three high-quality models at a time when prices are going up steeply and there is a lot of pressure on modellers wallets. Seems unnecessarily risky to me, plenty of other choice to go at which is disappointing.

But best of luck to Bachmann and I hope it’s a success for them - whichever one of the three manufacturers chooses to do D5578 in experimental blue will get my money. 

The Hornby model is ok, but its priced pretty steeply and has hardly been as 'available' as it really should have been in the 20 years or so the tooling has been around. How many Class 31s will have been in the non-red stripe railfreight livery or BR Blue 31/4? Lots - how many have Hornby produced? 0. The bigger the gaps left the more appealing it is for competitors to duplicate. Hornby have been too busy chasing the one-off niche liveries then wondering why they're not selling

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I wont go to the usual oh there already XYZ but that coupling looks interesting. some sort of actuator using a aux or servo function? I don't have a lot of use for a 31 but if the couplings where available to retro fit to something else that could be a game changer. Then again they are probably designed to fit what ever loco is released with them

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JSpencer said:

and both of them must be very much targets for other manufacturers too. I'd be astonished if both weren't being worked on right now

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Who would have thought that the humble Brush Type 2 would end up being one of, or even the most tooled UK diesel loco in OO? Triang, Airfix, Lima, Hornby, Accurascale, and now Bachmann.

263 made and 64 years of service has a lot to do with it I'm sure.

I think possibly 42/43, 47 and 52 are onto four or five different toolings currently, depending on your defintion of OO.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, virginhst539 said:

I wont go to the usual oh there already XYZ but that coupling looks interesting. some sort of actuator using a aux or servo function? I don't have a lot of use for a 31 but if the couplings where available to retro fit to something else that could be a game changer. Then again they are probably designed to fit what ever loco is released with them

I'd guess some kind of electromagnet to move the hook ... might need to have similar steel hook on whatever you're uncoupling from too to get it to release

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, GordonC said:

I'd guess some kind of electromagnet to move the hook ... might need to have similar steel hook on whatever you're uncoupling from too to get it to release

closer inspection of the video seems to show a ramp that pushes up to lift the hooks. clever bit of kit

• Agree 1