February announcement?

NXEA!

• RMweb Gold

The 03 would be a very welcome rerelease for me, I need three of them for Ipswich. 

As long as Bachmann don't announce that AND a rerun of the freightliner flats, that would see me bankrupt!

Andi

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SHerr said:

Some Scottish Large Logo 47’s would be great, it always amazes me they’ve never done on even in the older toolings. Especially considering how many Scottish 37s have gone before.

Perhaps reflects that 37s ran on some very modellable lines (eg WHL & Kyle), Scotrail 47s maybe less so? 🤔

I am hoping to see some more variations or running numbers on the forthcoming WCRC Mk1s or at least an update on what is happening with these. I would also be happy with some Mk1 Pullmans given how hard they are to find new now. There is nothing I’m really expecting locomotive wise given what previous quarterly announcements have been like recently but that’s probably a relief with the amount of pre orders I have/things that have arrived the last couple of months. 

• RMweb Premium
On 27/01/2024 at 17:53, rovex said:

Safe bet they'll be no upgraded GWR coaching stock

A very safe bet - but that belies the fact you should be recognising that the most popular (and thus profitable) types of GWR stock has already been covered by others.

Hornby have a good selection of Hawksworth* and Collect vehicles in their tooling while Dapol are also entering the frey with Toplights.

That means there are already two manufacturers fighting for a share of the GWR coaching stock market and I severely doubt there is room for a 4th to share in the spoils.

If you are looking for a gap in the roiling stock market for Bachmanmn to exploit then actually the best prospect in terms of sales is the early LMS designed stuff, particularly as Hornbys efforts with the Period III stock seem to have ground to a halt once they exhausted the common 57ft types

* Had Hornby not snaffled these then the Hawksworths would have been a pretty good fit for Bachmann and complement their other efforts to cater for the last Big 4 designs (Thompson, Bullied and LMS Porthole designs)

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 31/01/2024 at 12:05, SD85 said:

I don't understand why Bachmann seem to have given up on producing any new steam locomotives (not counting commissions for retailers etc like the Caledonain 812). Surely there are still some gaps in the market which can be filled?

Who says they have?

Given Bachmanns lengthy development cycles they could easily have several steam projects underway - the only thing is you won't hear about them till the completed models are on their way to the UK

On 31/01/2024 at 12:05, SD85 said:

The main one is the 8F. Hornby's model is getting long in the tooth and is only rarely in the catalogue these days. 

Have you ever considered the possibility Hornby are already working on a newly tooled model - because if you haven't I bet Bachmann have!

You need to re calibrate your expectations, the days of Bachmann or indeed Hornby announcing things several seasons or even years before they hit the shelves is ending whilst 5 years ago it might have been reasonable to assume anything not publicly announced wasn't happening, that is manifestly no longer the case.

• Like 2

On 04/02/2024 at 08:56, ThaneofFife said:

And does anybody know why Bachmann had the blue and grey runs produced with dark brown underframes and bogies....did BR outshop them like that?

I found this article that I had saved from a 1967 Constructor (that dates me….)

IMG_0838.jpeg.5646c96547041c1c131a49c73a843718.jpeg

which includes the following

IMG_0839.jpeg.a2a4e3408bb5e33b39903b61e480fcaf.jpeg

Hope this helps and apologies if I’ve infringed any copyright.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 02/02/2024 at 22:30, Clagsniffer said:

RES liveried 47 would do very nicely for me. Suppose it would be too much to ask to get a PCV to go with it?

Maybe one day!

Based on the Mk2F DBSO I wouldn't rule one out but it will be expensive and probably be a DCC model.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Ryde-on-time said:

I would predict a 009 model of the ffestiniog Fairlie ‘James Spooner’ at some point?

That is a good shout though some of the original ones are currently still hanging about on shelves at some retailers so could be an exclusive next year.

13 hours ago, phil-b259 said:

A very safe bet - but that belies the fact you should be recognising that the most popular (and thus profitable) types of GWR stock has already been covered by others.

Hornby have a good selection of Hawksworth* and Collect vehicles in their tooling while Dapol are also entering the frey with Toplights.

That means there are already two manufacturers fighting for a share of the GWR coaching stock market and I severely doubt there is room for a 4th to share in the spoils.

If you are looking for a gap in the roiling stock market for Bachmanmn to exploit then actually the best prospect in terms of sales is the early LMS designed stuff, particularly as Hornbys efforts with the Period III stock seem to have ground to a halt once they exhausted the common 57ft types

* Had Hornby not snaffled these then the Hawksworths would have been a pretty good fit for Bachmann and complement their other efforts to cater for the last Big 4 designs (Thompson, Bullied and LMS Porthole designs)

Upgrades of their Collett sunshine stock would fill a whole.

I'm not expecting concertinas or dreadnoughts welcome as those would be, but as the Dapol toplights when we get them will be the steel plated type, they could still do the earlier panelled varieties 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

March subs copy of RM dropped through the letterbox this morning. I ripped the envelope open in an excited frenzy and went straight to the News section. The headline is..........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Hattons closing and Warley cancelled 🤣

• Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, rovex said:

Upgrades of their Collett sunshine stock would fill a whole.

I'm not expecting concertinas or dreadnoughts welcome as those would be, but as the Dapol toplights when we get them will be the steel plated type, they could still do the earlier panelled varieties 

But Collett Sundhine stock is still Collett rolling stock!

Yes you might y the difference but to a lot of people they are not sufficiently different to what Hornby already make and as such their sales potential is not as good as something ‘completely different’

Consider Manusell vs Bulleid, Greasley vs Thompson or even early LMS versus period 3 stuff, each family is radically different from each other - which from a manufactures point of vireo helps drive sales.

Tbats why I said it’s a shame Hornby did the Hawksworth stock - stock which is very different from Collett designs in the way that the ‘Sunshine’ vs Hornbys current Collett offering isn’t.

Edited by phil-b259
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

I know its a long shot but considering some of the last new Bachmann steam models where 0-4-4s like the G5 and Johnson 1P I have my figures crossed for something like a Caledonian Railway 439 Class 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

19 hours ago, Dagworth said:

The 03 would be a very welcome rerelease for me, I need three of them for Ipswich. 

As long as Bachmann don't announce that AND a rerun of the freightliner flats, that would see me bankrupt!

Andi

So what is wrong with the current Bachmann 03 ?

The Next18 mechanism runs like a dream with a decoder in it

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Covkid said:

That they simply aren't available as a current release in blue.

Andi

Hi Gang;

A glaring gap in the N Gauge department is a Mk1 BSO (in Blue/Grey for me) which has 5 open bays. This would add to the BCK and SK currently tooled resulting in even more brake coaches (there are many surplus brake coaches in the N Gauge bargain bins).

The reasoning is that they can be converted more easily to a BSOT format to support West Highland and other Scottish Region rakes without resorting to razor saws and such-like, although if no announcement is forthcoming, then the razor saw may appear!!

I did mention it to the Bachmann rep at Warley, but he glazed over a bit as he discovered I was talking N Gauge. Should have been obvious as I was standing by the N Gauge glass cabinet!!

A class 85 in N please...and I would be content.

Later;

Stu from NRSW

Edited by Stu from EGDL

1 hour ago, Covkid said:

I think that’s what he means. I’m hoping for a Next18 version in plain green! 

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Covkid said:

Agree nice little model and sweet runner. Lacks a little traction - wont haul as much as the current J72 for example which makes it a little limited as a station pilot. 

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Agree nice little model and sweet runner. Lacks a little traction - wont haul as much as the current J72 for example which makes it a little limited as a station pilot. 

Ah damn, that may be a problem as that's exactly what I need them for. How many coaches can they move on level track?

Andi

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Dagworth said:

Ah damn, that may be a problem as that's exactly what I need them for. How many coaches can they move on level track?

Andi

Can't say my track is 100% level but where the J72 will take 8 Hornby (new style) Mk1 the 03 looses traction once all of the train is on a 60" curve. Max I've had for the 03 in that situation is 6. Hornby 08 was good for 8 (which is the maximum for the layout) until it slipped a crank as apparently is the way of the earlier models. 

The Rapido 15xx on test has taken 14 with ease so despite being off region its currently the default pilot!

• Thanks 1