Graham Farish - Spring 2024 Announcements

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
On 17/03/2024 at 20:20, TomE said:

Not my era, not my 'thing', but what a beauty!

farishtwinsc.jpg.da0fb56a20f1a5bdf0d39670b2c7fbf7.jpg
Tom. 

I had a look at these in the cabinet at Alexandra Palace.

Similarly not my era or 'thing' but very fine - the spring detail on the bogies is especially worthy of note.

I am already tempted and if the Ivatt diesel society every get their re-incarnated version running and it hauls charters on the mainline there is no doubt I'd be in!

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Revolution Ben said:

I had a look at these in the cabinet at Alexandra Palace.

Similarly not my era or 'thing' but very fine - the spring detail on the bogies is especially worthy of note.

I am already tempted and if the Ivatt diesel society every get their re-incarnated version running and it hauls charters on the mainline there is no doubt I'd be in!

cheers

Ben A.

Ben,

You might be a bit late if you wait that long, Bachmann's last newsletter said :

"The two models that have arrived depict Nos. 10000 and 10001 in their original condition. We’ve seen a big demand for these models, with the SOUND FITTED versions already sold out from our warehouse and very low stocks of the standard models, so don’t delay in purchasing yours from one of our stockists"

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I picked up a Dance Hall brake van at Ally Pally as planned:

20240319_193406.jpg.3b7360fcf1a0665f5cc08f3ab118dfb1.jpg

For an N scale model, it's a big old thing!  Now, has anyone worked out how to get the body off yet?

• Like 7

The LMS Twins look really nice, the Brake Van also.

I'm very curious what we can expect for the running year.

I hope we see some re-runs of further Steam Locos, LNER Peppercorn A1, BR Standard 4MT Tank or something else would be nice.

Surprising and awesome would be a new 'big four' Coaches tooling.

Edited by Stefen1988
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Stefen1988 said:

The LMS Twins look really nice, the Brake Van also.

I'm very curious what we can expect for the running year.

I hope we see some re-runs of further Steam Locos, LNER Peppercorn A1, BR Standard 4MT Tank or something else would be nice.

Surprising and awesome would be a new 'big four' Coaches tooling.

I too am curious, and agree that the BR Standard 4MT Tank would be a good choice given that there has only ever been a single production run in two variants (one each of pristine late and early crest) so that's just 2008 models in all. We also know (because they were shown in EP form) that the tooling provides for a cab-side tablet-catcher recess meaning Scottish variants could be modelled (and of course weathered ones would be nice too) so plenty of scope. I am hoping that this is a loco that unlike the Fairburn (Due Nov/Dec) will be upgraded to Next 18 and DCC sound, and if that can be done in an 08 or Class 14, it should easily be possible in the 4MT Tank given it's large cab/bunker space (I have one I paid to be converted so technically no issues).

As to new "Big Four" coaches, I would be very surprised to see more mainline stock given that Bachmann have already produced stock representative of each company already - LNER Thompsons, SR Bulleids, GW Hawksworths and LMS Staniers, what would be nice would be some suburban stock such as 51ft Gresleys.

Roy

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Roy L S said:

I too am curious, and agree that the BR Standard 4MT Tank would be a good choice given that there has only ever been a single production run in two variants (one each of pristine late and early crest) so that's just 2008 models in all. We also know (because they were shown in EP form) that the tooling provides for a cab-side tablet-catcher recess meaning Scottish variants could be modelled (and of course weathered ones would be nice too) so plenty of scope. I am hoping that this is a loco that unlike the Fairburn (Due Nov/Dec) will be upgraded to Next 18 and DCC sound, and if that can be done in an 08 or Class 14, it should easily be possible in the 4MT Tank given it's large cab/bunker space (I have one I paid to be converted so technically no issues).

As to new "Big Four" coaches, I would be very surprised to see more mainline stock given that Bachmann have already produced stock representative of each company already - LNER Thompsons, SR Bulleids, GW Hawksworths and LMS Staniers, what would be nice would be some suburban stock such as 51ft Gresleys.

Roy

Given the classes limited scope for models it is literally just these 2 for the 4MT 2-6-4T, but I still hope they may shrink down the artwork used in OO for 80135 in BR liner Green as preserved on the NYMR - apparently it is the person who donated it to the railway  Jos De Crau who stipulated it must always be painted BR Green - would certainly be a one off, perhaps a club model even.

I agree with the coaching stock, we have one set each for the main line big 4, what we need now is the secondary stock. Suburban and local train types. N gauge seems to be growing in popularity so time to cash in on that and boost sales further. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Ed-farms said:

Given the classes limited scope for models it is literally just these 2 for the 4MT 2-6-4T, but I still hope they may shrink down the artwork used in OO for 80135 in BR liner Green as preserved on the NYMR - apparently it is the person who donated it to the railway  Jos De Crau who stipulated it must always be painted BR Green - would certainly be a one off, perhaps a club model even.

I agree with the coaching stock, we have one set each for the main line big 4, what we need now is the secondary stock. Suburban and local train types. N gauge seems to be growing in popularity so time to cash in on that and boost sales further. 

A large class of locos widely spread across the UK from the Somerset and Dorset to Scotland and elsewhere so actually loads of scope I would say and would fit right in with the recent Bachmann practice of different running numbers on the same base livery. Agreed the green one would be a marvellous preservation option and an ideal Collectors Club model.

Edited by Roy L S
  • Like 1

I actually was thinking about Suburbans too, when I mentioned further big four coaches toolings.

LNER Thompson Suburbans

SR Push-Pull Sets

LMS Push-Pull Sets

ect.

Gresley Suburbans would be something for Dapol to complete the Gresley Coaches Range.

Edited by Stefen1988
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Stefen1988 said:

I actually was thinking about Suburbans too, when I mentioned further big four coaches toolings.

Gresley Suburbans would be something for Dapol to complete the Gresley Coaches Range.

Appreciating Dapol do the Gresley corridor coaches in N and have for many years now, I don't necessarily think that means it would be them (if anyone) who does the Gresley suburbans. Bachmann have "previous" in "N" with the exquisite "Birdcage" set so it could equally well be them, although admittedly the fact Hornby do both Gresley and Thompson suburbans in OO may make them less viable for anyone to manufacture in N, but who knows.

Roy

23 hours ago, Roy L S said:

A large class of locos widely spread across the UK from the Somerset and Dorset to Scotland and elsewhere so actually loads of scope I would say and would fit right in with the recent Bachmann practice of different running numbers on the same base livery. Agreed the green one would be a marvellous preservation option and an ideal Collectors Club model.

They certainly were widespread in operation but my limited scope was referring to you can have lined black early crest or lined black later crest. I don't think they even had a plain black in BR Days, and certainly only 1 was green in preservation (as mentioned before). 

So in that respect a 2nd run would be interesting as they have the risk of people who want one having one and no need for a 2nd, especially if they renumbered to suit their local engine. If they did a 2nd run I would definitely get a 2nd as its a lovely model. Also a 3rd if 80135 was done

• Like 3

On 27/03/2024 at 00:41, Roy L S said:

Appreciating Dapol do the Gresley corridor coaches in N and have for many years now, I don't necessarily think that means it would be them (if anyone) who does the Gresley suburbans. Bachmann have "previous" in "N" with the exquisite "Birdcage" set so it could equally well be them, although admittedly the fact Hornby do both Gresley and Thompson suburbans in OO may make them less viable for anyone to manufacture in N, but who knows.

Roy

Then I hope they would make Gresley Quad-Art and Twin-Art Sets.

That would be super awesome for N. :D

3 hours ago, Stefen1988 said:

Then I hope they would make Gresley Quad-Art and Twin-Art Sets.

That would be super awesome for N. :D

I already have a Quad set, 3D printed bodies from Shapeways on largely scratchbuilt chassis with modified NGS Gresley bogies, it isn't perfect and wasn't cheap but at the time I figured that realistically it was probably the only way I would ever get a set. Since then I have taught myself CAD and bought a 3D printer, plus of course we have seen oddballs like the Birdcage set, so who knows what else is possible these days - I mean we have seen 10000 and 10001 produced in N and A Clayton too!

20201129_152947.jpg

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
On 07/03/2024 at 15:45, John M Upton said:

The Scottish one is the one I want to do as well.  I have scoured every single Scottish book I have trying to find another picture of it, I only found one which showed just the very edge of it, in exactly the same place next to exactly the same BR brake van and I suspect taken on the same day too,

It must have got up there somehow...

Hello John,

I've just come across another photo showing the end of the SECR brake van in Scotland but this time at Kyle of Lochalsh ... unfortunately I can't work out how to link this with my iphone and my tablet that I usually post from is playing silly beggars with the forum and seems to be in some sort of 'read only' mode.

Anyway a simple google for Kyle of Lochalsh 1984 should bring up the photo as it's also on ebay.

It looks like the van is part of the track renewals train being used to possibly help remove some sidings on the east side of Kyle station (blue Class 37 also in shot,) so there may be some better photos of this van at this location elsewhere for this work done in June 1984 .... eyes peeled !

Hope this is of use.

Regards,

Ian.

Edited by 03060
Extra info added.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 03060 said:

Hello John,

I've just come across another photo showing the end of the SECR brake van in Scotland but this time at Kyle of Lochalsh ... unfortunately I can't work out how to link this with my iphone and my tablet that I usually post from is playing silly beggars with the forum and seems to be in some sort of 'read only' mode.

Anyway a simple google for Kyle of Lochalsh 1984 should bring up the photo as it's also on ebay.

It looks like the van is part of the track renewals train being used to possibly help remove some sidings on the east side of Kyle station (blue Class 37 also in shot,) so there may be some better photos of this van at this location elsewhere for this work done in June 1984 .... eyes peeled !

Hope this is of use.

Regards,

Ian.

Nice work!  Should be this one: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/235116894855 which shows the end of it in the distance.  Nice photo too...

The hunt continues....

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

On the subject of the Dance Hall brake van, I still have not managed to get the body off yet.  Any ideas anyone?  No obvious screws or anything, I presume it is a clip fit to the chassis but trying to lever it off without damage is proving impossible.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, John M Upton said:

On the subject of the Dance Hall brake van, I still have not managed to get the body off yet.  Any ideas anyone?  No obvious screws or anything, I presume it is a clip fit to the chassis but trying to lever it off without damage is proving impossible.

No, sorry, I had a quick look after your recent post but couldn't see anything obvious and so decided to leave well alone as it will be awhile before I need it for my layout.

Regards,

Ian.

6 hours ago, John M Upton said:

John, If you haven’t already done so, you could ask Farish themselves - use the Contact Us link on their website. They’re usually more than happy to help with queries like this. 

Good luck,

Mark

• Thanks 1