Graham Farish - Spring 2024 Announcements

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Les1952 said:

Ho-hum.

It does make it look more likely that I won't be returning to N gauge for the next British layout.

Les

Hi Les,

With the caveat that not everything is available all the time these days, I feel the choice in N has never been better.   What is the missing prototype(s) that are putting you off another British outline layout in N?  (Apologies for slight thread drift, though I think it has some relevance.)

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 7
  • Agree 2

8 hours ago, Revolution Ben said:

Hi Les,

With the caveat that not everything is available all the time these days, I feel the choice in N has never been better.   What is the missing prototype(s) that are putting you off another British outline layout in N?  (Apologies for slight thread drift, though I think it has some relevance.)

cheers

Ben A.

Lack of re-runs of quite a few useful medium-sized locos amongst others.   If I were to suggest a couple we could do with out of the Bachmann OO stable- the K3 and Ivatt 4MT spring to mind.  Also up-to-date replacements for almost everything in the Union Mills range.  They may be bombproof but won't last forever.

I know Revolution don't do steam, but how about something simple like a 2P 4-4-0?  Widespread (too much so given their lack of real grunt) and long lasting.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, Steven B said:

The re-release of the HEA is a mixed blessing; I'm surprised that there's no rail-freight red/grey version.

Hello Stephen,

The HEA in railfreight Red/Grey livery was/is already on the Backmann Farish website (p.1 wagons) as a still to be re-released model .... I've had some on order for a couple of years or so now, just checked this morning and it has now moved from "awaiting" status to May/June. Agree that it's not the sharpest of models by today's standards , I will probably replace the ladders with etched ones to improve things slightly.

Hope this is of use.

Regards,

Ian.

Edited by 03060
Correction.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well I think the twins work well with Midland and Southern regional operations in most liveries offered. 

The correct coaching stock is in the range  so a good choice. I am sure the chassis will have other uses if interoperability with other chassis is possible - EM2 ? 

I look forward to future discounted models to allow a banger blue fictional model. As is my want for rule 1 fun.  

Mk3 does offer entry level models and defo a royal train before it becomes history. And yes the missed op of a farish based land cruise- but for sake of uniformity you would need to use older farish flush sided models - ok at normal viewing distance arguements but a Dapol sleeper and these latest Mk1s would offer at a price the high fidelity option  

Robert 

15 hours ago, 37058 said:

Already available... https://www.farishnspares.co.uk/graham-farish/mkiii-2nd-class-coach-interiors-packed-in-4s-br0004.html

Mk3 FO also available.

Cheers

Anthony  

I was thinking of the more esoteric types like the sleepers and at a push royal train coaches. Maybe Farish would make them as spares too.

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Mike Harvey said:

royal train coaches

given the fact we're all going to own the Two Princes class 47s, I feel that someone should make an effort and give us proper coaches for them to argue over.

• Funny 2

Its great to see farish invest in new wagon and loco toolings.  I think they are missing a trick not mentioning the previous announced models due in the same quarter though?

I guess the twins must of made commercial sense, but cant help but think we havnt had a restyled body 25/2,25/3 tooled since 1983 and this would of been higher up the list..

I also agree with Ben that the choice is great in N these days, even from the last 2-3 years as during the covid lockdowns you could hardly find any locos or rolling stock and ebay prices went up.  Although I appreciate not to everyone's preferences, era and region maybe.

On 07/02/2024 at 11:16, 03060 said:

Also pleased to see the Mk1 FOs to complete a West Highlander tour train as the white roofed BCK that I bought a few years ago looks a bit lonely !

I have a feeling that the reason why they are producing a run of the Charter FOs was to help sell those BCKs that they still have in their warehouse from 2020. I think that they did the same with the second run of the Sealink MK1 TSOs.

• Agree 1

I’ve put in pre orders for both of the LMS twins in black/silver, purely as a “rule 1” purchase. They will look great double heading a rake of crimson/cream Staniers.

I’ve ordered both with sound fitted, but this is going to be very expensive and I’m already having second thoughts. This might not be the best part of the forum to ask, but what are people’s experiences of consisting two sound fitted locomotives? As the sound projects are identical does it work well, or does it sound odd having the same sounds from two double headed locos?

Presumably having one sound fitted and one DCC without sound will make it hard to match the performance of the two locos when double heading - and one DCC sound fitted and one DC only running on DC I would guess is a non starter?

Maybe life will be simpler and cheaper with both non sound fitted?

Any thoughts?

Tom.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, tiger said:

I’ve put in pre orders for both of the LMS twins in black/silver, purely as a “rule 1” purchase. They will look great double heading a rake of crimson/cream Staniers.

I’ve ordered both with sound fitted, but this is going to be very expensive and I’m already having second thoughts. This might not be the best part of the forum to ask, but what are people’s experiences of consisting two sound fitted locomotives? As the sound projects are identical does it work well, or does it sound odd having the same sounds from two double headed locos?

Presumably having one sound fitted and one DCC without sound will make it hard to match the performance of the two locos when double heading - and one DCC sound fitted and one DC only running on DC I would guess is a non starter?

Maybe life will be simpler and cheaper with both non sound fitted?

Any thoughts?

Tom.

I have run two Farish Fowler 4Fs in consist, these were the first incarnations of the most recent models (not sound ready) and the sound fits were hard-wired, one by You-Choos and the other I did myself. Both have Zimo decoders and the You-Choos sound-file, running them in consist wasn't a problem and it was quite nice but of course you do not have individual control of sound in each loco. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Roy L S said:

I have run two Farish Fowler 4Fs in consist, these were the first incarnations of the most recent models (not sound ready) and the sound fits were hard-wired, one by You-Choos and the other I did myself. Both have Zimo decoders and the You-Choos sound-file, running them in consist wasn't a problem and it was quite nice but of course you do not have individual control of sound in each loco. 

Why don't you have control of the individual sounds in each loco ? I have complete control of every individual loco or MU in a consist on my system, regardless of how many in the consist. I regularly run double headed trains, or top and tailed, as well as consisting multiple 4 car EMUs. Only the lead address, in each case, has control over speed and direction, of course, but each individual address can be selected to control every function, lights sound, etc., independently. 

2 hours ago, Brian-1c said:

Why don't you have control of the individual sounds in each loco ? I have complete control of every individual loco or MU in a consist on my system, regardless of how many in the consist. I regularly run double headed trains, or top and tailed, as well as consisting multiple 4 car EMUs. Only the lead address, in each case, has control over speed and direction, of course, but each individual address can be selected to control every function, lights sound, etc., independently. 

Simple answer to that is that (1) the basic sounds are very much speed related and so would have to be managed via the lead loco, then things like braking on F2 would need to control both locos together so would be the same issue. Things like whistles and ancillary sounds simply because I hadn't thought to select an individual loco within the consist to do so which is about knowledge, so I appreciate the tip. 

• Like 1

Running multiple locos or MUs as a consist brings a number of issues, which may or may not be important to you. Note that you should check intended pairs (or more) are speed matched, so they move off together and accelerate/decelerate at the same rate.

Firstly, running a Midland Pullman, or HST with sound decoders at each end is easier, as you can have the decoders supplied as a matched pair, which you set to the same address. This will start the engines separately, with one decoder having a slight delay on the start up part, so you can hear each one in turn. This will also synchronise the start procedure, with both units increasing revs, then starting to move at the same time. I found that testing each before hand showed them to matched pretty well and not needing any speed matching setup in advance. They will both have the same engine sounds accelerating, cruising and decelerating. The brakes will work on both simultaneously too. The horn will sound on the leading loco only, in either direction and the guards whistle may also move ends. My HST is powered both ends, having installed a powered chassis obtained from DCC Supplies.

Next, double heading two locos with different addresses. In this case, before or after consisting them together, each loco has to be started independently. Be careful to start both locos sound on (or off), before moving off, as, with sound on, a loco may go through a short procedure before actually moving away. The loco will move immediately with sound off, if one is on and the other off, they'll fight each other until up to a reasonable speed. With both switched on, they'll go through the procedure together and move off together. Steam locos generally have no start up procedure and move immediately, with or without sound. In all cases, with sound switched on in all locos in the consist, the sound will change with acceleration, cruising and deceleration according to the speed controlled by the lead loco. Braking, with F2 or F5, is only effected on the lead loco in the consist.

The same applies to MUs. I do run up to 3 EMUs in a consist and have them configured to be able to switch off running lights at the ends connected to the next unit, whilst the outer cabs have running lights working and auto reversing. In this case, incidentally, I have only one EMU with a sound decoder, but this has no start procedure, so moves off with the others in the consist and works well. With the sound fitted unit running as the middle unit, it sounds fine and means that sound for others is put off until I become rich one day.

When running, steam locos in a consist can each be heard running, albeit a bit out of sync, which is just right. Diesels and electrics, on the other hand, sound like a single unit, if of the same class and you may not be able to notice if one gets the sound switched off. Unless you are close to track level and can hear each passing next to you. Also this can vary between double headed and top and tailed. 

Note that consisting will mean that the horn only sounds on the lead loco, when being controlled and the other units horn can only be sounded by selecting that loco address.

Have fun.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Someone somewhere mention a Dance Hall brake van reaching the West Highlands.  Can anyone point me in the direction of a photo please?

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, John M Upton said:

Someone somewhere mention a Dance Hall brake van reaching the West Highlands.  Can anyone point me in the direction of a photo please?

This modified one?

pa_Loco_depot_a

Tom na Faire depot, Fort William - Ernies Railway Archive on Flickr

Regards

Simon

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Simon, you just beat me to it whilst I found it again, I misinformed earlier saying that it was in Mallaig Jct yard but at least it had to travel through it LoL !

I believe a few Dance Halls were modified by the Southern region in 1953 to create mess/tool vans by planking over one of the verandahs.

It's the only photo I know of this one on the WHL that I've found so far. No date with the photo but the PBA (PAB ?) covhop on the left were only used on the alumina traffic during the mid 80s.

Regards,

Ian.

Hi Gang,

Coming in a couple of days late to this, so I may be repeating some comments.

Nice to see a newly tooled loco again, even if it is not in my ‘exact’ time or region….who knows if I will pick up a green one with yellow ends sometime. 
Not particularly interested in the Mk1 charter rake but I will pick the WCRC FOs up on a casual basis.

As for the reissue of the Mk3s, I feel that the latest Farish printing makes these more than acceptable. The dilemma comes when you run mixed rakes or have them side by side, otherwise the differences are not massively noticed. Interiors for the Farish Mk3s have been around for years and it would be easy to blank out/ darken the windows of sleepers with smoke coloured acetate. I think Farish have played a master stroke issuing blue/grey and Intercity sleepers after the pig’s ear that Dapol made of both liveries and their reticence to correct their mistakes (unlike previous actions with Class 73s and 156s in recent years). The Caledonian sleeper livery is a strange choice which I don’t think will sell well at RRP or 15% dealer discount.

So all in all, a little bit in the announcement for me, but not an overwhelming amount.

Anyone want some Dapol Mk3 sleepers (B/G and IC available!!).

Later,

Stu from NRSW

Edited by Stu from EGDL

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, 65179 said:

This modified one?

pa_Loco_depot_a

Tom na Faire depot, Fort William - Ernies Railway Archive on Flickr

Regards

Simon

Cheers for that.  I shall wade through all my Scottish Highland themed books later and see if it turns up anywhere else.  Either way, some serious work will be required on the model if I get one, a couple of windows in and the enclosing of one verandah for a start!!!

• Like 1

Before I get down to the local shop to order can anyone elaborate on the White Roof serial numbers?

374-820 BR Mk1 FO First Open BR InterCity Charter (Executive) £47.95

Or 

374-820A BR Mk1 FO First Open BR InterCity Charter (Executive) £47.95

The pictures look the same. Don't want to order the wrong one. Looking for the Intercity to be the swallow version not the older sans serif.

Thanks

• Like 1