Graham Farish - Spring 2024 Announcements

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, JBM37404 said:

Before I get down to the local shop to order can anyone elaborate on the White Roof serial numbers?

374-820 BR Mk1 FO First Open BR InterCity Charter (Executive) £47.95

Or 

374-820A BR Mk1 FO First Open BR InterCity Charter (Executive) £47.95

The pictures look the same. Don't want to order the wrong one. Looking for the Intercity to be the swallow version not the older sans serif.

Thanks

They’re the same coach but with two different numbers. 

• Like 2

On 09/02/2024 at 12:15, Roy L S said:

Simple answer to that is that (1) the basic sounds are very much speed related and so would have to be managed via the lead loco, then things like braking on F2 would need to control both locos together so would be the same issue. Things like whistles and ancillary sounds simply because I hadn't thought to select an individual loco within the consist to do so which is about knowledge, so I appreciate the tip. 

Just some additional info on functions in consists, since I remembered seeing this method used for another project I saw elsewhere.

If you are using Advanced Consisting, you can use CV21 and CV22 to tell the decoder to make functions respond to the consist address.

E.G. with the Zimo decoders, you can change CV21=2, on each decoder, to make F2 work on all locos in the consist. You can a list of values for CV21 and CV22 online. You'd use CV21=16 to make F5 work on all locos in the consist for the brake on ESU decoders.

Here is a link to the Digitrax page for this https://www.digitrax.com/tsd/KB923/cv19-cv21-cv22-advanced-consist-addressfunction-co/

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, Stu from EGDL said:

I think Farish have played a master stroke issuing blue/grey and Intercity sleepers after the pig’s ear that Dapol made of both liveries and their reticence to correct their mistakes

Dapol have a new batch of Mk3 due soon, which includes sleepers in blue/grey and Intercity. If they get the livery correct I'll be replacing my current one with these - the close coupling mechanism is worth the extra £2 on it's own.

Steven B

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 09/02/2024 at 20:15, Stu from EGDL said:

Hi Gang,

Coming in a couple of days late to this, so I may be repeating some comments.

Nice to see a newly tooled loco again, even if it is not in my ‘exact’ time or region….who knows if I will pick up a green one with yellow ends sometime. 
Not particularly interested in the Mk1 charter rake but I will pick the WCRC FOs up on a casual basis.

As for the reissue of the Mk3s, I feel that the latest Farish printing makes these more than acceptable. The dilemma comes when you run mixed rakes or have them side by side, otherwise the differences are not massively noticed. Interiors for the Farish Mk3s have been around for years and it would be easy to blank out/ darken the windows of sleepers with smoke coloured acetate. I think Farish have played a master stroke issuing blue/grey and Intercity sleepers after the pig’s ear that Dapol made of both liveries and their reticence to correct their mistakes (unlike previous actions with Class 73s and 156s in recent years). The Caledonian sleeper livery is a strange choice which I don’t think will sell well at RRP or 15% dealer discount.

So all in all, a little bit in the announcement for me, but not an overwhelming amount.

Anyone want some Dapol Mk3 sleepers (B/G and IC available!!).

Later,

Stu from NRSW

Dapol are producing a new batch of Mk3 Sleepers this year with updated versions of Blue/Grey, Executive and IC Swallow. These will have corrected colours and chrome window surrounds and, of course, close coupling, interior detail and are light-bar ready;.

Edited by Adam1701D
Text in wrong box.
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

18 hours ago, Adam1701D said:

Dapol are producing a new batch of Mk3 Sleepers this year with updated versions of Blue/Grey, Executive and IC Swallow. These will have corrected colours and chrome window surrounds and, of course, close coupling, interior detail and are light-bar ready;.

Thanks Adam;

I might upgrade my sleepers when the new batch arrive.

Regards;

Stu from NRSW

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 08/02/2024 at 16:49, davebem said:

I guess the twins must of made commercial sense, but cant help but think we havnt had a restyled body 25/2,25/3 tooled since 1983 and this would of been higher up the list..

+1

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Having had a week to mull over this announcement, my conclusion is thus….

At first, I thought the mk3 sleeper announcement was lunacy and a massive retrograde step for the hobby, being as the tooling is decades old….

….. but having had a week to ponder over this this whilst riding many ski chairlifts, I’m starting to think this might be a commercial masterstroke by Bachmann…. to be clear, I’m only talking about the GWR twin packs….

Anyway, my train of thought is this;

a) many people feel the Farish mk3 body shape is superior 

b) Farish livery application is vastly superior (and the Dapol GWR mk3 sleepers have errors)

c) Dapol have missed an obvious opportunity by not announcing the matching [GWR] ‘day coaches’ (yes, I know there is no tooling for the ‘brake’ coach) in their latest batch of local hauled mk3 coaches

d) the clear shell+printing allows Farish to correctly portray the ‘brake’ coach (BSO?)

e) Farish produce mk3s as ‘money for old rope’ - just cost of production

I’m wondering if with a little modelling (fitting interior, swapping bogies from Dapol, fitting NEM coupler pockets) the Farish offering actually makes more sense overall - especially if they can be picked-up cheap in the bargain bins in a few months’ time - even at knock down prices, i’m sure Farish will make money on these.

Finally, whilst there is no denying that the Dapol mk3 is ‘next gen’ compared to the Farish mk3, it is also quite apparent that the Dapol mk3 is now itself a generation behind, if (for example) compared to the Revolution mk5…. so my final thought is; perhaps there is a opportunity for someone to release a new generation mk3…. 😜 ???!

• Like 3

I tend to agree.  I think the Mk3s from Farish is a bit of a masterstroke.  As mentioned, the tooling probably owes Farish nothing, so why not use it.  I'll be getting some of the GWR packs.  Be rude not too at that price.

• RMweb Premium

I think there's room in the market for the Farish Mk3s, but given the price it would have been nice if they'd made some improvements, even if it just involved fitting interiors.

Steven B

• RMweb Gold

I have a real soft spot for the Farish Mark 3, being an excellent platform for Electra conversions and have to admit the bodywork and shape is really excellent. For the GWR Sleeper seated coaches, they are an ideal way of correctly modelling all the window modifications.

The downside is that they are very light and see-through.

If these had been upgraded with interiors and improved couplings, then it the completion would have been much hotter.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, Adam1701D said:

I have a real soft spot for the Farish Mark 3, being an excellent platform for Electra conversions and have to admit the bodywork and shape is really excellent. For the GWR Sleeper seated coaches, they are an ideal way of correctly modelling all the window modifications.

The downside is that they are very light and see-through.

If these had been upgraded with interiors and improved couplings, then it the completion would have been much hotter.

BR Lines provide (basic) interiors for Farish MK3 and MK2. I fitted them to my IC and GNER MK3s and Virgin MK2s which not only makes the coaches heavier, but stops them being see through.

The buffers also need to be snipped off in order that any type of close coupling is possible.

es grüßt

pc 

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

An expensive week but I am now in possession of 5/6 Executive FOs, 2 WCR FOs and a Departmental exSECR brake van which all arrived a little sooner but very gratefully than I was anticipating. The last Exec FO should arrive next week but was a late addition to my pre-order at my local model shop (FMR) where I also found yet another split headcode Class 37 to buy.

Volunteered for Mon night OT to help pay for it all !! LoL

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Stefen1988 said:

I hope for Mk1 Suburbans with the next Announcements...

I have been considering seeking out a couple of BR blue Mk1 Surburbans but am unfamiliar with the model.  Are they to the modern Blue Ribband Mk 1 tooling standard or the older Poole style printed clear bodyshell design?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

I have been considering seeking out a couple of BR blue Mk1 Surburbans but am unfamiliar with the model.  Are they to the modern Blue Ribband Mk 1 tooling standard or the older Poole style printed clear bodyshell design?

They were different and better than the old Farish Poole ones but I think they lack NEM couplings which I guess gives you an indication of age of the model.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

The blue suburban come with the old spring pocket. You can fit American Bachmann couplings which match Dapol Easi-shunts.

16 hours ago, Paul.Uni said:

Given the lack of release date on the Bachmann website, I wouldn't expect them this side of Christmas.

I was told by someone from Bachmann that release of J39s was put back because Bachmann weren't happy with the running quality of the models, the fact that there is no release date would certainly suggest that arrival is not imminent, but how long will probably depend on what precisely was wrong, what is needed to correct it and what factory capacity is available. I have one on order to go with my existing locos, and having fitted sound to two of those it would be just my luck that Bachmann have played a blinder and completely re-tooled it as a loco-drive to modern standards 🤔. That said, from what I was told way back when it was originally released (again by someone from Bachmann - Colin Allbright if memory serves), the J39 was only viable as a model because of the existence of the B1's Group Standard tender drive, so I am probably safe...

Edited by Roy L S

• RMweb Premium

Anyone got an engineers olive one yet? Would like to see some pictures of the actual model please rather than the duff catalogue image the retailers all seem to be using.

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

Anyone got an engineers olive one yet? Would like to see some pictures of the actual model please rather than the duff catalogue image the retailers all seem to be using.

Yes John but I haven't taken it out of the box yet, I'll try and post a couple of photos tomorrow.

Regards,

Ian.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, 03060 said:

Yes John but I haven't taken it out of the box yet, I'll try and post a couple of photos tomorrow.

Regards,

Ian.

Hope these help John.

IMG_6987.jpeg.bd1cc69e3d4520505cc6ec9aed0794e4.jpeg

IMG_6986.jpeg.20765e5486268b044e503b3f6e8eab0c.jpeg

Regards,

Ian.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2