Graham Farish - Spring 2024 Announcements

AY Mod

4 minutes ago, Ch4lkst3r said:

Going to have to buy the twins!  Quick question for those that know these things.  Would 10001 with small yellow panels have run with 10000 in lined green or had 10000 been withdrawn before 10001 was repainted?

By the loco profile book there was one month crossover, 10001 got yellow panels in October 1962 and 10000 was stored unserviceable in November.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I won’t be buying anything announced today*, but bearing in mind that this is a quarterly announcement, if we are settling down to getting one (or two) new tool locos and one (or two) new tool items of rolling stock every three months then that feels positive for N, no?

The Twins are an obvious gap filled and look lovely. I just hope that they don’t presage more models of more obscure one-offs and niche locos** for collectors rather than mainstream classes. And (continuing to hit my head against this brick wall) come on Bachmann and start shrinking more of your existing OO steam models to N!

RichardT

*Unless that “Easten Region” water crane turns out to be an NER one, which it definitely looks like.

**To be clear, I don’t think the Twins are “niche”. But they are definitely “niche-adjacent”…

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, RobSkipworth said:
17 minutes ago, Ch4lkst3r said:

By the loco profile book there was one month crossover, 10001 got yellow panels in October 1962 and 10000 was stored unserviceable in November.

TBH I don’t think 90% of those buying the Twins are going to be bothered about strict prototypical timescales! I suspect a lot will appear on 1970s and 1980s layouts having been “preserved” - which 10000 definitely should have been, if the BTC historic relics panel had included some museum professionals, rather than a lot of Establishment buffers trying to recreate their boyhoods. 😅

RichardT

Edited by RichardT
  • Like 1

Think I've found the answer here (https://www.rmweb.co.uk/forums/topic/19581-hattons-announce-lms-twins/).  Looks like the lined green version was only around for a short while in 1956/7.  Then they got the large white stripe as per 10001 but without the yellow warning panel till withdrawn in 10000 case.  The announcements say that those are the liveries for now so hopefully we'll see the twins released in green with white stripe but no warning panel in a future announcement

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, Roy L S said:

In some respects yes, but if the twin pack is priced at £60 then after the "usual" 15% discount that is £51 or £25.50 a coach which is considerably less than more recently tooled models like the Thompsons and Mk1s so while I may be completely wrong, it possibly represents positioning some lower spec products at a lower price-point?

Roy

Possibly, and that wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. The use of the Poole toolings does open the door to some of the more unique rakes that perhaps wouldn't justify the cost of specific tooling, so now they've made a move with these might we see a Royal Train in a similar format to go with the 47s perhaps? 

I suppose my view on them is coloured by a purely selfish and personal thought that I wish they'd used the production slots for something like Anglia or DRS mk.2fs!! 

One thing I really hope these announcements do is stop the 'Bachmann don't care about N Gauge' nonsense. If that were in anyway true we wouldn't be seeing LMS twins RTR in N! Looking back, last year was a really quite the bumper year, and whilst some of that was catching up we now seem to be in a good place with not only re-liveries of existing models but also previously unannounced new tooling starting to appear. 

Tom. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, RichardT said:

if we are settling down to getting one (or two) new tool locos and one (or two) new tool items of rolling stock every three months then that feels positive for N, no?

If they manage that, then yes, it'll be very positive.

What's less positive is the churning out of old models for £££ more than they're worth. Dapol's Mk3 Sleepers haven't got the best reputation for accurate livery application but they're worth the £2.05 premium over the new Farish releases.

The LMS twins are a welcome surprise - the question is do I get the yellow panelled 10001 or a Rapido Peak? Would a black & silver one look good at the front of a rake of Intercity Mk1s? It's interesting that the early BR livery of black with early crest is missing - Collectors club or retailer special perhaps?

The re-release of the HEA is a mixed blessing. Like the PGA being re-run with the class 60 train set, it's a poor model; I'm surprised that there's no rail-freight red/grey version. The re-release does appear to suggest Bachmann/Farish have no interest in remaking it which must make it low hanging fruit for Dapol, Revolution or Rapido (especially as the chassis can be reused on the RNA & MEA).

I had hoped for a couple more liveries on the 158, or even an Intercity Mainline class 90. Only another 3 months to the next announcement! 

Steven B

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, Steven B said:

Would a black & silver one look good at the front of a rake of Intercity Mk1s?

There’s only one way to find out…

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

I already have 10001 which I "made" from a resin body.  Cannot really justify and upgrade given the use I would make of it/Them.  Though who knows?!   I am surprised that the Caledonian sleepers are shown in the first livery.  I would have expected them to go for either the Barbie or the Teal.  I have a Deerstalker rake in each, using Adam Warr's vinyl sides.  And the latest Mk 5 from Revolution. 

3 hours ago, Ed-farms said:

Yes they could have chosen a more numerous type a new 37 perhaps with sound etc. 

I would have been surprised if they announced a new 37, especially with sound as it would probably require a retool and they only did a "new" run of 37s a year or so ago. It would be nice but I'd be surprised.

I'd also be a little bit annoyed as I've paid to have my 37 sound fitted 🙈😂

3 hours ago, Roy L S said:

In some respects yes, but if the twin pack is priced at £60 then after the "usual" 15% discount that is £51 or £25.50 a coach which is considerably less than more recently tooled models like the Thompsons and Mk1s so while I may be completely wrong, it possibly represents positioning some lower spec products at a lower price-point?

Agreed, though the overall shape of the Farish Mk.3 is pretty good, if basic (very basic by current standards). The ends have a better shapes then the Dapol, for example, but the bogies are worse and the lack of interior is very obvious.

3 hours ago, TomE said:

The use of the Poole toolings does open the door to some of the more unique rakes that perhaps wouldn't justify the cost of specific tooling, so now they've made a move with these might we see a Royal Train in a similar format to go with the 47s perhaps?

To a degree they have done that here with these sleeper sets, but a correct Royal Train without having to tool the window arrangements for each coach separately could be a sound idea*. Their current printing is very good, especially as there is some thickness to the frame printing.

*Though some have those extra wide double doors. That might kill the idea.

• Like 2

Knowing one off the dance halls made it north of the border is all I need to purchase two weathered engineer olive green version, as for the HEA Hopper's if I thought revolution would make a better version i would wait but seeing I missed out on these the last time I will go for a small rake of the coal sector version and hope we get the brown rail freight version in may June. As for the twins 10001small yellow panels does look amazing we'll before my time but after having a massive cull and selling most of my br green locos I kept half a dozen locos and some rolling stock in the off chance a n gauge 29 would appear one day.so could go for a none sound version twin...just waiting on a triple grey 20 from farish now.

1 hour ago, Mike Harvey said:

The re-use of the Poole Mk3s offers the opprotunity for some skilled 3D designer to make suitable interiors with a way of limbo-dancing their way in.

And I guess one of the chaps most likely to make use of the shell now works for Dapol where he has fully interior fitted models to play with.

and yourself of course!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Well, in my universe 10001 was preserved when it was withdrawn in 1967. That's at least as plausible as the most plausible imaginary branch line, and possibly more plausible than it's real-life scrapping.

My glass is definitely half-full this time round — the collector's club 47 indicates there will be more earlier 47s to come; the introduction of the "Twins" suggests we'll see more of the OO range in time — certainly the 25/3 and 117.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

All a bit uninspiring to me personally. The wallet is safe!

Those LMS 10001 / 10002 diesels in N I would imagine have limited appeal / market? 

The old Farish Poole tooling feels a bit like the Hornby Railroad model of using old tooling to maximise profit and extend the value the tooling can offer to the business.

It would be nice to see some retooled BR air brakes wagon. But I suspect the cost would be high per model considering the smaller volumes compared to 4mm production runs for probably a similar manufacturing effort. 

Edited by richierich

I think expecting fab stuff each quarter is a bit optimistic. I’ll be happy to see the Fairburn sometime this year - I’ve only been waiting 2+ years for that. 

Plus Rapido and Dapol have a couple of bits coming out I’ll be acquiring(Class 44, and Ivatt 2-6-2 respectively).

Each to their own (era and collection) of course….

• Agree 3

As Bernard mentions previously, the shape of the Farish Mk3 is better than the Dapol one. If they'd have tooled new bogies, and done the sleeper in FGW blue I'd have bitten.

Not a lot for me this time (thankfully he says, most definitely not a whinge!) allowing the wallet a rest. Though the WCRC FOs are handy to go with the previous releases, especially since one has the wife's name on it so hopefully that'll earn some brownie points!

Jo

Edited by Steadfast
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

Well, in my universe 10001 was preserved when it was withdrawn in 1967. That's at least as plausible as the most plausible imaginary branch line, and possibly more plausible than it's real-life scrapping.

My glass is definitely half-full this time round — the collector's club 47 indicates there will be more earlier 47s to come; the introduction of the "Twins" suggests we'll see more of the OO range in time — certainly the 25/3 and 117.

My order for 10001 with yellow panels has gone in, I can imagine it eeking away an existence around Crewe & Chester in 1967/68 having been rescued from Willesden.  Rule 1 applied.  Looking forward to a banger blue or TT Green 47 as well as I don't fancy chopping my present pair for sound/stay alive.

14 minutes ago, richierich said:

All a bit uninspiring to me personally. The wallet is safe!

Those LMS 10001 / 10002 diesels in N I would imagine have limited appeal / market? 

The old Farish Poole tooling feels a bit like the Hornby Railroad model of using old tooling to maximise profit and extend the value the tooling can offer to the business.

It would be nice to see some retooled BR air brakes wagon. But I suspect the cost would be high per model considering the smaller volumes compared to 4mm production runs for probably a similar manufacturing effort. 

I guess you're not in the market for them then, it was 10000/10001 not 10001/10002.  I think they will sell quite well for those of us interested in the post war to 1970 period.  What I hope is that it means Efe shrink the Southern trio 10201/10202/10203 to N, I might even be interested in a D600 Warship in N too.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Was there any EFE announced?  I don't recall seeing any but then again I skipped rapidly through the video as I had no interest in all the marketing waffle.

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

Was there any EFE announced?  I don't recall seeing any but then again I skipped rapidly through the video as I had no interest in all the marketing waffle.

Nothing N Gauge from them this time round. 

Tom.  

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Mike Harvey said:

The re-use of the Poole Mk3s offers the opprotunity for some skilled 3D designer to make suitable interiors with a way of limbo-dancing their way in.

Already available... https://www.farishnspares.co.uk/graham-farish/mkiii-2nd-class-coach-interiors-packed-in-4s-br0004.html

Mk3 FO also available.

Cheers

Anthony  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Pretty surprising to see the Poole printed sides Mk3 make a return to the range.

But it seems to me that Bachmann/Farish have missed a trick here - they are releasing the Mk1 FOs in Intercity Charter livery with white roofs, so why not make the whole train available at the same time and offer the Mk3 sleeper to match? That would surely have generated more sales than a rerun of an obsolete and now pretty obscure NatEx Caledonian Sleeper livery from the late 90s?

c.08/1990 - Chesterfield, Derbyshire.

(Flickr link, not my original photo)

cheers

Tom R.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2