Hornby latest 8F

ColinB

• RMweb Premium

I'm not putting money on it, but I guess this change could be due to a factory cock-up, or the post 2000 smoke box mould is worn out/ damaged / lost so they've gone back to the old one.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, steve45 said:

They are continuing to trade off the Hornby name which will sell a sub-standard model to a lot punters who don't know any better.

Having worked in the retail side of the industry, I struggle to argue with you on that point.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, spamcan61 said:

I'm not putting money on it, but I guess this change could be due to a factory cock-up, or the post 2000 smoke box mould is worn out/ damaged / lost so they've gone back to the old one.

If that is the case there is no excuse, for that sort of RRP they should have made new tooling, after all, even the last release from years ago would now be fully amortised.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, spamcan61 said:

it seems its closer to cock up than conspiracy, based on the above post from the visitor to Rails… obviously now they are aware the message needs to flow internally where it matters and confirm.

Its not as if stuff hasnt happened like this before..

mgrs turned up using the railroad tooling once, an entire loco (56303) was canceled from the range, but then arrived at the UK warehouse a month later, 60 had mis printed logos, didn't 34050 turn up with the wrong tender ?

Question is, will they change the smokebox door (a pushfit) or reduce the price, or do nothing and let the trade deal with it ?

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

2 hours ago, steve45 said:

Let's face it, Hornby are in the game to maximise the profit for shareholders and not producing beautifully accurate models. They are continuing to trade off the Hornby name which will sell a sub-standard model to a lot punters who don't know any better.

Wow, now I've said it!

Oh dear, that could get you banned. To be honest I just think Hornby are in such turmoil that they just keep making mistakes. Yes you sure can sell some dumb model to anyone, trouble is you are compromising your return business when they find out, plus most people are financially aware. This model is expensive so it has to be perfect. It is fortunate for Hornby that Sam already has one, so possibly he won't do a review. Like him or not I think he has a rather large fan base. As one of my managers said about dufff cars, it is not only the customer that gets annoyed, they tell their mates and their family. I wonder if Hornby will fix the issue?

• Like 1

The interesting thing is that we are always pulling them up about their lack of quality assurance. Have they now dispensed with the final product review or did they just think "we turn the handle and the loco pops out" as they have released this model before. I am not sure I would want one with that glaring error even if it was substantially reduced.

13 hours ago, ColinB said:

Yes you sure can sell some dumb model to anyone, trouble is you are compromising your return business when they find out

I have been getting this feeling regularly over the past 15 years : 'surely they are going to come unstuck with this, and lose customer confidence'. But...

15 hours ago, steve45 said:

They are continuing to trade off the Hornby name which will sell a sub-standard model to a lot punters who don't know any better.

15 hours ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

...Having worked in the retail side of the industry, I struggle to argue with you on that point.

That magic name they own, that's the charm. Seen it again and again when in the shops of retailer's various: "I really like that Bamboozlix class model from <other brand>, don't Hornby do one? And if they purchase, it isn't the model just asked after, but something from Hornby.

Bachmann steadily and continuously supplying the UK RTR OO market these past thirty odd years haven't managed to put much of a dent in that - yet...

Then again, when Hornby get it right, they get it very right, and the 'golden glow' from their best product shines over the whole range. So their 8F is not what it could be: the Thompson O1 2-8-0 demonstrates that Hornby know how it should be done, and it is far from alone.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

49 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&amp;D said:

I have been getting this feeling regularly over the past 15 years : 'surely they are going to come unstuck with this, and lose customer confidence'. But...

That magic name they own, that's the charm. Seen it again and again when in the shops of retailer's various: "I really like that Bamboozlix class model from <other brand>, don't Hornby do one? And if they purchase, it isn't the model just asked after, but something from Hornby.

Bachmann steadily and continuously supplying the UK RTR OO market these past thirty odd years haven't managed to put much of a dent in that - yet...

Then again, when Hornby get it right, they get it very right, and the 'golden glow' from their best product shines over the whole range. So their 8F is not what it could be: the Thompson O1 2-8-0 demonstrates that Hornby know how it should be done, and it is far from alone.

Interesting point the Thompson O1 is a really good model but they don't seem to sell well. I have two which I bought new heavily discounted after watching a Jenny Kirk video where she said what a really good model it is. Perhaps that is it, not everyone know they exist. As to Hornby if they keep making mistakes like this it does make you wonder.

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, ColinB said:

Interesting point the Thompson O1 is a really good model but they don't seem to sell well. I have two which I bought new heavily discounted after watching a Jenny Kirk video where she said what a really good model it is. Perhaps that is it, not everyone know they exist. As to Hornby if they keep making mistakes like this it does make you wonder.

Its a good model at a very competitive price when it was new but its not well known and its quite niche unfortunately.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Its a good model at a very competitive price when it was new but its not well known and its quite niche unfortunately.  

It is also limited to BR era layouts only; anyone like myself who is more interested in grouping or pre-grouping isn't going to want one.

3 hours ago, Dick Turpin said:

It is also limited to BR era layouts only; anyone like myself who is more interested in grouping or pre-grouping isn't going to want one.

Why is it limited to BR Layouts? I have 2 No. in LNER livery which Hornby have released - Thompson had the O4's rebuilt as O1's 1944-49?

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, SimonF said:

Why is it limited to BR Layouts? I have 2 No. in LNER livery which Hornby have released - Thompson had the O4's rebuilt as O1's 1944-49?

Sorry, I should have said post-war. 

• Agree 1

So I wonder what Hornby will do about it? Thing I can't get over is how come they did not notice or did their management think their customers wouldn't care.

Edited by ColinB
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
On 15/02/2024 at 17:29, daltonparva said:

I've been to Rails this afternoon as they're having a Hornby event with a couple of Hornby people there, and I wanted to pick someone's brains about a small niggle with a HM7000 decoder. Both Hornby people are now aware (they weren't) about the smokebox door and will be conversing with the relevant department when they return. As luck would have it, Rails have both new examples in a cabinet (both have old moulded door), and in another second hand cabinet they have a previous modern release 8F with and older example 8F side by side, so both could be compared. Both chappies were at a loss to know why the old door has migrated on to the new model.  I also pointed out Hornby's promotional stuff show it should have the newer door.

Unless Hornby have a exceptionally poor or non existent QC department, which, for all their incompetence I doubt, I think your reply from the reps isn't worth the paper it's written on.

In my cynical simplistic world Hornby have tried to pull a fast one and been caught out.

Mike.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Unless Hornby have a exceptionally poor or non existent QC department, which, for all their incompetence I doubt, I think your reply from the reps isn't worth the paper it's written on.

In my cynical simplistic world Hornby have tried to pull a fast one and been caught out.

Mike.

No, I could believe it.  Probably different departments, bit embarrassing though when you are at Rails to promote Hornby and end up looking incompetent.

Edited by ColinB
  • Like 2

I was doing some work on my really old one yesterday, R2249 (I bought a sound decoder that was giving big issues) and I noticed a big square hole in the cab where the firebox would be. I assume it is a carry over from when they fitted firebox glow on the really old models. Does this new one still have the hole? These are things you never notice when looking at a new model.

43 minutes ago, Downer said:

I wonder if it’s possible to replace a moulded smoke box door handle with a separately fitted one?  Nah, surely not.

But why should any prospective purchaser have to replace parts on a new loco costing £225 discounted?

• Agree 7

3 minutes ago, Black 5 Bear said:

But why should any prospective purchaser have to replace parts on a new loco costing £225 discounted?

It is Hornby you won't be able to get the part anyway, unless you are going to rob an old body.

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, Black 5 Bear said:

They shouldn’t, but the model is out there now, and moaning won’t get it fixed.

25 minutes ago, ColinB said:

It is Hornby you won't be able to get the part anyway, unless you are going to rob an old body.

As far as I know, smokebox door handles are available from a number of sources.

• Agree 2