The Bristol Model Railway Exhibition - May 3rd - 5th. Thornbury Leisure Centre

SteveCole

Best Thornbury exhibition for quite some time - many excellent layouts.

I suspect the organisers would welcome any rail enthusiasts who drive a Land Rover, however, as the field used for car parking is rapidly turning into a swamp.

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Yep, have to agree. Overall very good standard of traders and layouts and lots of familiar faces to gossip with. My second show since Warners took over and the difference that's made is evident. 

Not sure about the upstairs hall though......

BUT.....

The car park field is already very boggy and I saw at least one driver having issues trying to escape it's clutches this evening. 

That said, the forecast for the weekend is not as wet.....

Rob

• Friendly/supportive 1

34 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Yep, have to agree. Overall very good standard of traders and layouts and lots of familiar faces to gossip with. My second show since Warners took over and the difference that's made is evident. 

Not sure about the upstairs hall though......

BUT.....

The car park field is already very boggy and I saw at least one driver having issues trying to escape it's clutches this evening. 

That said, the forecast for the weekend is not as wet.....

Rob

Upstairs hall? They have exhibits upstairs too? Last time I went, it was on all one floor. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

A great show, if you are wavering then definitely do, you won't regret it.

There is lots to see, Addison Road is impressive, Grantham is epic, Templecombe is really neatly done and represents actual train movements, Hope Under Dinmore lovely, Chapel impressive, Shwt neat, really all very good - no "bad" layouts at all. Omissions in this list do not imply lack of enthusiasm on my part for the other exhibits, a great "new" layout to the circuit is Moat Lane Junction

Rossiter Rise is right up my street, a great bit of North West Londonery with fabulous LT stock and lovely model architecture, a nice complement to Addison Road.

James was busy on his book stand and I am reporting for duty tomorrow, I'll try and turn up on time....

See you there!

Simon

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Cheekypaul said:

Is the condition of the field bad for parking? Last thing I want to do is to turn up at the exhibition with muddy feet etc

It seems to be holding up and forecast tomorrow is decent...I got a clean get away today. I did wear decent boots though as field is long, wet, grass...

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/forecast/gcnjwdfjz#?date=2024-05-04

Chris

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Not that much modern D&E as a 'modern-era modeller' but i really enjoyed Chapel en le Frith, Three Cocks Junction and Old Elm Road.

Rosebury Goods was a nice micro too.

Traders taking cards, wells Squires tools were... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Really good show with a happy, friendly and relaxed vibe. Busy but not hectic and therefore easy to get to really appreciate the layouts on offer.  And what an inspiring collection of layouts they were!  Seems to be a reinvigorated show and well worth a visit. Don’t wear your best shoes if you have to park on the grass though :)

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

1 hour ago, Cheekypaul said:

Is the condition of the field bad for parking? Last thing I want to do is to turn up at the exhibition with muddy feet etc

Park in one of the town's car parks for free (charging likely to be introduced later this year or next year...). Just make sure you park in long-stay area. 5-10 minute walk to the leisure centre. Tesco's car park is rather nearer, with a footpath to the leisure centre... 

I'm going on the bus (Sunday) if it's likely to be muddy!

• RMweb Gold

Admit to last attending this show “pre-Covid”, and found myself rather underwhelmed today. Yes, the mega layouts were fab. The standard of all layouts present was really good.  I had plenty of very good traders to choose from, but…

I did feel sorry for the exhibitors in Hall 4, a very isolated location.

It was the variety of layouts that seemed to be lacking, whether to encourage the youngsters into the hobby, or more narrow gauge or continental, or just layouts of a size that I think I would be able to emulate.

I preferred the old catering arrangement (in what is now Hall 4). This also used the spectator seating to provide a relaxation zone where you could sit quietly and ‘people-watch’ whilst having some refreshments. The overflow to the cafeteria today was a dark circulation ‘corridor’, doubling as a route to the WCs.

I suppose I have been spoiled by the breadth and depth of the layouts popping up on RMWeb, and expected to see similar variety at a large regional show.

Perhaps best I not mention the demographic spread of the Friday’s attendance, or question how kids can afford entry into our hobby these days.

Reaching for my flak jacket & helmet! (Sorry, to appear a bit grumpy - must be the hangover from my footy team being cr*p this season).

Thanks, by the way, to all you Warners folk for looking after us.

Posted (edited)

First time attending and thought it was a great show. Some lovely layouts of all shapes, sizes and gauges - many of which to a high standard.

The selection of traders was also very good, and - (I’m not sure whether they were a late addition) - but having a manufacturer present (Rapido) was also a bonus.

The staff and volunteers were also very warm and welcoming, and provided a very nice atmosphere.

Edited by Olive_Green1923
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

26 minutes ago, Moonraking Red said:

Perhaps best I not mention the demographic spread of the Friday’s attendance,

A Friday afternoon show is never going have a broad demographic. Some people have to work...

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

Work somewhat over ran today so I didnt make it to the DEMU stand until almost 5pm, but from what I could see so far it seems a good one.  Will be back on the stand tomorrow so hopefully should be able to escape and get a better look round.

Will be back to Genesis FAA building on the stand tomorrow 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Moonraking Red said:

Admit to last attending this show “pre-Covid”, and found myself rather underwhelmed today. Yes, the mega layouts were fab. The standard of all layouts present was really good.  I had plenty of very good traders to choose from, but…

I did feel sorry for the exhibitors in Hall 4, a very isolated location.

It was the variety of layouts that seemed to be lacking, whether to encourage the youngsters into the hobby, or more narrow gauge or continental, or just layouts of a size that I think I would be able to emulate.

I preferred the old catering arrangement (in what is now Hall 4). This also used the spectator seating to provide a relaxation zone where you could sit quietly and ‘people-watch’ whilst having some refreshments. The overflow to the cafeteria today was a dark circulation ‘corridor’, doubling as a route to the WCs.

I suppose I have been spoiled by the breadth and depth of the layouts popping up on RMWeb, and expected to see similar variety at a large regional show.

Perhaps best I not mention the demographic spread of the Friday’s attendance, or question how kids can afford entry into our hobby these days.

Reaching for my flak jacket & helmet! (Sorry, to appear a bit grumpy - must be the hangover from my footy team being cr*p this season).

Thanks, by the way, to all you Warners folk for looking after us.

My lunchtime view....

53697392598_2a4cc537ec_c.jpg

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

...... Warners involvement with the Bristol show is the best thing that could have happened.
Pre-Covid, it was dying on it's feet ......... I returned last year for the first time in years, .......  and because of Warners involvement, clearly it is this that has invigorated a rather tired show. 

I agree with Rob, I thought it worth the day trip (by car) from Penzance.  
Traffic on the M5 at 5 - 6pm was not good though.....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

The hobby is fine and the sooner we start believing that the better it will be.

Quite right! I’m already enjoying my trip to the show 😁

IMG_7059.jpeg.6c75e9323b7c1ced27eff1959f6776f7.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

Quite right! I’m already enjoying my trip to the show 😁

IMG_7059.jpeg.6c75e9323b7c1ced27eff1959f6776f7.jpeg

Breakfast of Champions, Sir ! 

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

Just to pick through some of your points here......

Yes, Hall 4 was, in my opinion, a bit of an after thought and frankly, there seemed space to tuck what was there into the other halls ( possibly freed up by exhibits being unable to attend ? ) But I agree, Hall 4 was a tad superfluous. 

Layouts. Yep, some big one's there but there were a few narrow gauge, a bit of continental and overall,  a good selection of layouts of all sizes. My preference is for the smaller cameo type layouts and those that were there were well done. As to the overall standard of the layouts, I thought it was pretty representative of our hobby and all were worthy of their place at the show. 

Demographic. As Phil @Phil Parker says, what can you expect on a Friday afternoon ? Children are in school and younger adults are in work. I was there all day, until 6 ish and there were families walking around later in the day, obviously after school. I'm at the younger end of the older chap department and I go on a Friday as it's generally less crowded and easier to move around and see things. No drama seeing the layouts or browsing at the traders. 

I can't comment on the catering as I took my own but I certainly sat up in the gallery overlooking the hall catching up with chums and as @Gilbert demonstrated, had that view. You clearly missed that. What was evident and enjoyable was how light, airy and spacious it all was.

And finally, to return to your comment about the affordability of the hobby for children, I work in a model railway retailer. We have no shortage of young customers. It irks me when people go to a show and on seeing few youngsters there on a particular day, assume it's a problem with the hobby. 

It isn't. The hobby is fine and the sooner we start believing that the better it will be. Sure, other things occupy children these days but there are those who do partake and shows like Bristol, which demonstrate a broad spectrum of layouts are accessible and appealing to them. 

I don't do big shows. Annual trips to Warley finally put me off. Not my bag. Bristol is now an exception. Warners involvement with the Bristol show is the best thing that could have happened. Pre-Covid, it was dying on it's feet and I had stopped going. I returned last year for the first time in many years, only because of Warners involvement and clearly it is this that has invigorated a rather tired show. 

So rather than taking a glass half empty view of the show, regard it as a glass half full. 

Rob. 

Another great post that counters somewhat miserable comments elsewhere. What is wrong with some folk?

Great news to hear about the youngsters. I also see loads of youngsters excited by Trains. even if it's only a s one is passing by when they are near a Railway. Also most kids I see at exhibitions are fascinated; their minds still enabling imaginative ideas and thinking, something that maybe somne lose as they age?

Grand report Rob...thanks pal.

Phil (Mad Duck), lost on North Notts and yearning for my west country homeland.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Posted (edited)

Tucked away on Three Cocks Junct, 3 nice scenic pieces. 
The builder is an Apiarist's, so the hives have been modelled with care  🙂, if small.
The same person (GrahamT) also did the gardens on Ynsybwl.

IMG_3900.JPG

Img_3901.jpg

Img_3902.jpg

Edited by Penlan
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

40 minutes ago, Penlan said:

The builder is an Apiarist's, so the hives have been modelled with care  🙂, if small.

The hives would have been an ideal product for somebody who's into 3D printing, and you can then run off as many as you like, so that doesn't strike me as especially impressive.  However I don't think you could knock up reproducible vegetable patches and chicken runs as convincingly - the gardens as a whole are a very impressive job.  There's clearly a lot of very fine detail work there.

I decided to give Thornbury a miss this year, but it's one of the shows I like.