Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

The Bristol Model Railway Exhibition - May 3rd - 5th. Thornbury Leisure Centre

SteveCole

• RMweb Gold

IMG_7154.jpeg.37a1bdb424f8c03a6603f8d97dcc2bed.jpeg

Excellent show! Busy but not packed, pleasant temperature and loads of good layouts. 
A fitting tribute to Nigel Mann and huge thanks to Heather  who I understand pulled it all together. The upstairs seating above was a great place to eat lunch and watch trains below. 
Loads of trade and as good a mix of books, tools, electrics, rtr and secondhand as I’ve seen. Chatted to a couple of traders and they said it was busy for them. 

IMG_7171.jpeg.a48e3bcf47fc3f4e04e34804d63ceef1.jpeg

IMG_7160.jpeg.4a187d15e2b61a3dc9c4d24c7ad58ce6.jpeg

IMG_7152.jpeg.dec760bfc22984446f961acc8fe49d67.jpeg

IMG_7146.jpeg.2f5ebf0329733056a8962904bba35304.jpeg

IMG_7136.jpeg.b9ed0ae1946051bfa7391d80272486df.jpeg

IMG_7130.jpeg.a21ef51686fe33bc6b037ff298b611ae.jpeg

IMG_7126.jpeg.7d823c9564833148be45425705a21c8d.jpeg

IMG_7122.jpeg.de3bba5f30eea33a199219ba96333d83.jpeg

IMG_7119.jpeg.ff5770c9de0134211f02d146aada50d2.jpeg

IMG_7116.jpeg.d930685a432ae84fbe03f916830dd85e.jpeg

IMG_7110.jpeg.90e7264d3ec01aebe65eb17b3e813cb0.jpeg

IMG_7105.jpeg.b55f7384d28ba918da9fc21b335b3c70.jpeg

IMG_7097.jpeg.f68d82349775e87d24fbd1f5e9fdb3e5.jpeg

IMG_7100.jpeg.9a89bbba8f5267ff6135ced2ec295697.jpeg

IMG_7094.jpeg.a90c80b7db6cb029de2e4a6063c4169e.jpeg

IMG_7092.jpeg.cf73e3c6bc9dd8fc6dc74084356f6fb1.jpeg

IMG_7091.jpeg.ef85f66505f6d074c6c7e1113a695cd6.jpeg

IMG_7089.jpeg.5e5befab26bb30b282c2fb0f36a62aae.jpeg

IMG_7086.jpeg.d9066b43ad1c1fa7fcff6af8d025b384.jpeg

IMG_7084.jpeg.f11046b6a16686bc0126b7decda4bfbb.jpeg

IMG_7083.jpeg.8f20b970e8f83e13c40eeca4af53649a.jpeg

IMG_7082.jpeg.95516584befd6ff85cad5c346cb319ef.jpeg

IMG_7079.jpeg.1a91557f6959f5335250c0c296b6b5e3.jpeg

Might need some taller legs here chaps ;)

IMG_7076.jpeg.355f899325f0e550880be13803a2556d.jpeg

Steadfast, Jo greeting with a smile at the entrance :)

IMG_7072.jpeg.369cb9799d56181844010056968b1e80.jpeg

This caught my eye, but I think they forgot something before weathering it! 😉
IMG_7158.jpeg.27282f7588394f0e87be81165763c623.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

I don't do big shows. 

I agree, I went to a small show last Sunday which was the dogs b*******s as far as I was concerned.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Just to pick through some of your points here......

Yes, Hall 4 was, in my opinion, a bit of an after thought and frankly, there seemed space to tuck what was there into the other halls ( possibly freed up by exhibits being unable to attend ? ) But I agree, Hall 4 was a tad superfluous. 

Layouts. Yep, some big one's there but there were a few narrow gauge, a bit of continental and overall,  a good selection of layouts of all sizes. My preference is for the smaller cameo type layouts and those that were there were well done. As to the overall standard of the layouts, I thought it was pretty representative of our hobby and all were worthy of their place at the show. 

Demographic. As Phil @Phil Parker says, what can you expect on a Friday afternoon ? Children are in school and younger adults are in work. I was there all day, until 6 ish and there were families walking around later in the day, obviously after school. I'm at the younger end of the older chap department and I go on a Friday as it's generally less crowded and easier to move around and see things. No drama seeing the layouts or browsing at the traders. 

I can't comment on the catering as I took my own but I certainly sat up in the gallery overlooking the hall catching up with chums and as @Gilbert demonstrated, had that view. You clearly missed that. What was evident and enjoyable was how light, airy and spacious it all was.

And finally, to return to your comment about the affordability of the hobby for children, I work in a model railway retailer. We have no shortage of young customers. It irks me when people go to a show and on seeing few youngsters there on a particular day, assume it's a problem with the hobby. 

It isn't. The hobby is fine and the sooner we start believing that the better it will be. Sure, other things occupy children these days but there are those who do partake and shows like Bristol, which demonstrate a broad spectrum of layouts are accessible and appealing to them. 

I don't do big shows. Annual trips to Warley finally put me off. Not my bag. Bristol is now an exception. Warners involvement with the Bristol show is the best thing that could have happened. Pre-Covid, it was dying on it's feet and I had stopped going. I returned last year for the first time in many years, only because of Warners involvement and clearly it is this that has invigorated a rather tired show. 

So rather than taking a glass half empty view of the show, regard it as a glass half full. 

Rob. 

Agree but there were a few quite keen under 5s on Friday before end of school time, mainly with grandad! although a few with parents too. First time I,ve been on a Friday and amazed how busy it was.

Edited by CUCKOO LINE
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Northroader said:

I agree, I went to a small show last Sunday which was the dogs b*******s as far as I was concerned.

I thank ewe. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Got the train down from Norwich on Thursday, stayed with my sister and her husband who live in Sodding Chipbury. Got dropped off and picked up Friday afternoon. I enjoyed the show and would go again. IMHO better layouts than Ally Pally.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

4 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Steadfast, Jo greeting with a smile at the entrance :)

IMG_7072.jpeg.369cb9799d56181844010056968b1e80.jpeg

I resemble that photo 😅

Nice to chat earlier Paul. 

That's my 2 days at the show done, avoided the burgers and baps, the smell of which was wafting in the front doors making us hungry, so settled on a takeaway tonight. I enjoyed the show, even though a lot of the layouts weren't my cup of tea there was some very good modelling on show. Hopefully we did our small part to help entertain people on the DEMU stand and help promote the diesel and electric powered side of the hobby.

Jo

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

There have been quite a few young visitors to the show. I mentioned that we have junior members at our club. All were very well behaved and had some interesting questions and observations for us to deal with.

Baz

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

My Photos from Friday are here- click on the wagons...

Bristol MRX 03 May 2024

They are of variable quality - my apologies - my normally very good phone camera did not seem to like the light in the hall....

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Got my shopping list done mostly, which was my main priority. 

A couple of nice Diesel layouts, but not much for the O gauge modellers I thought. 

Trade looked mostly 00 or N / tt..

Quite busy I though Sat morning and yes did notice quite alot of families with youngsters which is great to see.

• RMweb Premium
On 03/05/2024 at 21:42, Coppercap said:

Park in one of the town's car parks for free (charging likely to be introduced later this year or next year...). Just make sure you park in long-stay area. 5-10 minute walk to the leisure centre. Tesco's car park is rather nearer, with a footpath to the leisure centre... 

I'm going on the bus (Sunday) if it's likely to be muddy!

Thanks for this suggestion. I parked up in the free long stay before the show started, had a nice breakfast in Thornbury and ambled down to the show later. A great day to take in the view looking back towards Wales on the way  too. 

Thanks to the organisers and exhibitors for an enjoyable show. Great to finally see Grantham and Chapel en le Frith Central amongst others.

Simon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Gilbert said:

My Photos from Friday are here- click on the wagons...

They are of variable quality - my apologies - my normally very good phone camera did not seem to like the light in the hall....

A fine and comprehensive portfolio, thankyou. As for quality - most people would think they'd done quite well to take them!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

I attended yesterday morning.  I have been going to the show for many years.  During this time it has waxed and waned a bit, but I think this years show is one of the best I have attended at Thornbury.  Some excellent layouts and good range of traders.  Well done to Warners, and thanks to the exhibitors and traders who attended the show.     

• Like 2

I had a great time attending the show for the first time this weekend. For those who were unable to attend the show, this video shows the layouts off which were on display! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

@Cymru Rails over 2 hours of video, that's committment!!

I think it’s important to let every layout have its time to shine. Several people I know are unable to attend these shows for health reasons and I originally started putting these videos together for them. Hope you all enjoy this if you were unable to go yourself

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Firstly, sorry for my comments re. demographics, encouraging younger ages, affordability, etc. I withdraw these as being not relevant to this thread.

In my simple world, at an exhibition I look for several things - 

An inspiration zone, a skills zone, the traders zone and a zone to refresh and relax.

The inspiration zone (the layouts) did not hit the spot for me on the day. Models are an art form, it happens. The creative efforts and hard work of all the exhibitors is just mind-boggling.

The skills zone could have been more formally Hall 4, a place to learn, question, and pick up tips, in a relatively peaceful spot.

The trade zone was probably as good as it gets.

It was the space for refreshment and relaxation that fell a bit short. Two flights of stairs with a hot cup of tea to get the spectator seating, or a dark space to sit if the cafe was full.

That said, well done, Warners, and thanks for everyone’s hard work.

On a wet bank holiday Sunday, still time to go. It’s good value.

And of course, I’ll be back next year.

• Like 2

A good exhibition. To be honest I enjoyed last year's more but its always 50% down to frame of mind.

Rare for me to attend Saturday and parking was worrying but all good.  Trade seemed on the pricey side but good though post Eileen's nuts and bolts less easy to find.

Templecombe seemed to have 6 operators and little movement and Newark also seemed slow at times.  

Still good exhibition and good venue. Country mile better than Doncaster. 

We went today.  Very good layouts, including two Austrian ones and two snowy ones.  Didn't see any bargains to buy but had a look at the Rapido J52 engineering prototype.  The Ship pub at the top of the hill does a decent Sunday roast, even if it looks a bit grim when you park up!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Crantock said:

Templecombe seemed to have 6 operators and little movement and Newark also seemed slow at times.  

To be fair to Templecombe, they had an intermittent problem for a long while that caused the whole setup to 'Play Up' with unpredictable results including 'short circuits', sometimes shutting the whole lot off, and usually being fixed temporarily by doing what I would call 'a Power Off, Power On, Reset'.  Which seemed to fix things for a while until it went haywire again.  I believe it was fixed eventually by replacing the main cable to the Powercab handset.

Templecombe  is also complicated to operate because of the (for northbound trains) piloting of trains back to the off scene station platform or (for southbound trains) piloting them out of the off scene station platform back to beyond the junction by the signal box before they could continue their journey south.  This needs 2 operators alone, one for each loco at each end the train, this cant be done with a 'DCC Consist'.  Then there's another operator controlling all other train movements so that's 3 operators, then one controlling the points and signals via a PC, that's 4, one fiddling with stock in the fiddle yard, that's 5, and finally one having a rest having been on their feet for a couple of hours at a time, that's 6.   They do operate a rota shunting the jobs around to give everyone a rest.. They are all well past retirement after all.   

Edited by Combe Martin
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, rogerzilla said:

Didn't see any bargains to buy 

Well I found plenty of bargains with the traders selling Hornby models.

One selling new unused Ex 'Business Closed' stock.  I got a new unused Hornby Std class 4 (and I've already got one at home and it's the smoothest running mechanism I've ever come across) for £80.  I saw one in the Hornby shop today for double that.    Then another trader selling new unused coaches, Hornby new type BR maroon Stanier corridor stock (the big box shifters havn't had them for ages and neither have Hornby), I got a corridor Brake 2nd for £28.

Edited by Combe Martin
  • Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Combe Martin said:

To be fair to Templecombe, they had an intermittent problem for a long while that caused the whole setup to 'Play Up' with unpredictable results including 'short circuits', sometimes shutting the whole lot off, and usually being fixed temporarily by doing what I would call 'a Power Off, Power On, Reset'.  Which seemed to fix things for a while until it went haywire again.  I believe it was fixed eventually by replacing the main cable to the Powercab handset.

Templecombe  is also complicated to operate because of the (for northbound trains) piloting of trains back to the off scene station platform or (for southbound trains) piloting them out of the off scene station platform back to beyond the junction by the signal box before they could continue their journey south.  This needs 2 operators alone, one for each loco at each end the train, this cant be done with a 'DCC Consist'.  Then there's another operator controlling all other train movements so that's 3 operators, then one controlling the points and signals via a PC, that's 4, one fiddling with stock in the fiddle yard, that's 5, and finally one having a rest having been on their feet for a couple of hours at a time, that's 6.   They do operate a rota shunting the jobs around to give everyone a rest.. They are all well past retirement after all.   

All noted CB but much as I try and refrain from criticism of layouts at shows, and bearing in mind my liking of all things S&D, I visited Templecombe at least twice on Friday and as per @Crantock, nothing was moving* with a cluster of operators standing round chatting, with no engagement with the visitors stood in front of the layout. It was somewhat disappointing. Looked fab mind you but..............

Rob

* and yes I do have periods when nothing moves on mine at shows but that's because I'm chatting with the visitors. I'm simply incapable of making things go AND chatting. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Combe Martin said:

I saw that the Templecombe operators were having issues when I stopped to look at the layout. I'm new to DCC. Why can't the move you describe be done with a DCC consist?

Thanks,

Simon

8 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

All noted CB but much as I try and refrain from criticism of layouts at shows, and bearing in mind my liking of all things S&D, I visited Templecombe at least twice on Friday and as per @Crantock, nothing was moving* with a cluster of operators standing round chatting, with no engagement with the visitors stood in front of the layout. It was somewhat disappointing. Looked fab mind you but..............

Rob

* and yes I do have periods when nothing moves on mine at shows but that's because I'm chatting with the visitors. I'm simply incapable of making things go AND chatting. 

I was there on Friday and Saturday and the problem started on Friday and wasn't fixed till Saturday.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

As regards Templecombe, there was a problem with a lead on the Friday which caused problems as noted. I revisited several times over the weekend and saw plenty of movement. Also, it is a really clever layout that shows you what Templecombe was about, the working signals and tablet catchers alone are awesome. And it all came out of Tim's loft and got transported miles for a rare public appearance. A huge achievement in itself, it was also great to meet Tim and the crew, Tim was also incredibly generous with his fabulous photographs when I published Bob Bunyar's "Somerset and Dorset Swansong" for which I will always be very grateful. Finally, re small shows, I like them too (Larkrail) but major layouts such as seen this weekend at Bristol would never be seen in public without somebody having the bottle to stage a large show. On which basis thank you Warners and the Association for another belting show. I even spotted a certain person operating a "proper" railway, at last......

20240505_132538.jpg.48686f98d581a2dd2a74322b29245a22.jpg

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Awesime said:

A couple of nice Diesel layouts, but not much for the O gauge modellers I thought. 

Happy to bring my slice of Bristol O gauge Dieselness next year if of interest to Warners....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1