Heljan OO Gauge Co-Bo Returns - Exclusively at Rails

AY Mod

• Moderators

The Heljan OO Gauge Co-Bo Returns - Exclusively at Rails!

2807_33425_Qty1_3.jpg

ANNOUNCEMENT:
The Heljan Co-Bo is back! This iconic model, originally released in 2011, was produced exclusively for Hattons Model Railways, and is now available exclusively at Rails of Sheffield.
NEW FOR 2024! For the first time these models are now available with digital sound pre-fitted.

The full range includes re-runs of the most popular models as well as some new variations not covered in the range previously in BR green and BR blue. Aside from the new inclusion of DCC Sound provision, these models will also feature enhanced livery application over previous releases.

PRODUCT FEATURES:
●    Highly detailed model with separately fitted parts including handrails, etched grilles, underframe relief and more
●    Accessory pack with optional headcode discs
●    5-pole motor with twin flywheels, all-wheel pickups & 8-wheel drive
●    Heavy diecast chassis
●    Directional lighting
●    Digital & Sound capable - 8-pin socket [SOUND FITTED VERSIONS NEW FOR 2024]
●    Intricate livery application & printing
●    NEM tension lock couplings

2818_1.jpeg

ABOUT THE CLASS 28:
The British Rail Class 28 (or Metro-Vick Type 2) were a class of diesel-electric locomotives built under the diesel loco Pilot Scheme as part of the British Railways Modernisation Plan. Often referred to as 'Co-Bos', 'Metrovicks' or 'Crossleys', the class featured a highly unusual Co-Bo wheel arrangement (a 6-wheel bogie at one end, and a 4-wheel bogie at the other). Unlike other Type 2 diesels, the class were fitted with two-stroke Crossley diesel units and had a very high tractive effort of 50,000 lbf. The engines suffered frequent failures and by 1961 the entire class was handed back to the manufacturer for remedial work.

They were known for being excessively noisy and emitted too much smoke. All twenty Metrovicks were initially allocated to the Midland Division of BR's London Midland Region, where they were often used in pairs on the overnight London–Glasgow "Condor" express freight service. After the 1961 refurbishment they were all transferred to the Barrow-in-Furness 12E depot. They were withdrawn after only eleven years in service. A single example has been preserved at the East Lancashire Railway. (Information provided via Wikipedia)
Contact Ben Jones, UK Representative - Heljan benj@heljan.dk

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Great to see these back for  re-run - personally planning to get a GFYE 5707 to partner blue 5701 (w) on the never-knowingly photographed Southampton portion via the DN & S of the weekly ICI limestone train from Tunstead 😉

Just an observation - there has always seemed (to me) to be too much wheel showing below the bogie - am I correct or being fooled by the wheels being "shiny-ish", flat and devoid of detail ?

11 hours ago, AY Mod said:

2807_33425_Qty1_3.jpg

2818_1.jpeg

All twenty Metrovicks were initially allocated to the Midland Division of BR's London Midland Region, where they were often used in pairs on the overnight London–Glasgow "Condor" express freight service.

..... and, at full chat on the Midland Mainline, south of Leicester (Wigston), they were at least as, if not more, impressive than a Deltic!

CJI.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Agree 1

I note from the specs that the lighting is directional. I’m assuming therefore that this is a straight re-run and no changes are being made so head and tail lights are independently controlled? 

20 minutes ago, JhornG201 said:

I note from the specs that the lighting is directional. I’m assuming therefore that this is a straight re-run and no changes are being made so head and tail lights are independently controlled? 

Andy's first post shows it as being an 8-pin interface, so I would hazard a guess and say you would be correct.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I would consider getting one if it is an upgraded model, otherwise I’ll stick with the two I have as I spent a great deal of time working on them. My blue one was carefully weathered, while the other was modified to represent one that had the proposed class 31 engine installed; it’s in Regional Railways livery 😀

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, ColinK said:

I would consider getting one if it is an upgraded model 😀

According to a RoS posting over on FB the only changes from previous run are sound capability and "enhanced decoration"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

I missed out on the last 2 runs so I deffo had to preorder a couple. One will become D5705 in its preserved condition and I’ve also gone for the banger blue one, too. 2 ‘Objects’ of desire! 

Edited by 97406

• RMweb Gold

I'm slightly surprised at them offering sound fitted while staying with the 8pin socket. Be interesting to see what speakers are used.

Having missed the previous runs, I'm not making that mistake again!  Just ordered two identical plain green locos.  A bit unfortunate there weren't some number variations available, but renumbering will be easy on an unweathered loco.  Will be converted to P4 with Kadee couplers.

Thanks Rails!!

On 14/04/2024 at 14:53, Michael Hodgson said:

What does that mean - the fact that they're also doing a weathered version?

I can't see any obvious changes.

FWIW, Hattons original run included weathered versions.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, JSpencer said:

FWIW, Hattons original run included weathered versions.

Indeed, was fortunate enough to pick one up pre-loved at TrainWest in 2014 after missing the initial release due to a modelling hiatus.

Wish they'd re-release the Class 23 and correct that awful headcode box

2806.jpg

Edited by Southernman46
  • Agree 1

On 14/04/2024 at 13:59, Kaput said:

I'm slightly surprised at them offering sound fitted while staying with the 8pin socket. Be interesting to see what speakers are used.

I've emailed Rails to ask what decoder will be used, who did the sound file, and which locomotive/engine was used for sound recording as I think there are no sound recordings of British Class 28s.  However, Irish and Australian railways have locomotives with Crossley 2-stroke engines.
Waiting expectantly for a reply!
Peterfgf

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, peterfgf said:

I've emailed Rails to ask what decoder will be used, who did the sound file, and which locomotive/engine was used for sound recording as I think there are no sound recordings of British Class 28s.  However, Irish and Australian railways have locomotives with Crossley 2-stroke engines.
Peterfgf

This would be one of those models where the premium for DCC or sound fitting is absolutely worth it. Unless they revise the tooling I found removing the body the hardest of any loco I have fitted since coming into the hobby in 2000.  Limited space inside once I got in there too as I recall it .  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, peterfgf said:

Peterfgf

You would be out of luck in Ireland as they were all re-engined decades ago, and the survivors rarely get the chance to stretch their legs anyway. 

Western Australia may be a better option as several X and Xa class still exist with their original engines. One of my favourite memories is driving the preserved Xa1401 on a main line railtour over 20 years ago - I think it is still operational. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

This would be one of those models where the premium for DCC or sound fitting is absolutely worth it. Unless they revise the tooling I found removing the body the hardest of any loco I have fitted since coming into the hobby in 2000.  Limited space inside once I got in there too as I recall it .  

That is often said, but I had no issues converting mine to DCC. I wonder if the tolerances are a bit wayward?

Roy

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Wonderful, I’ll have to think about getting one for my Cumbrian Coast layout.  Totally out of my time period but hard to say no to.

• RMweb Premium

I had my first run cobo sound fitted by Howes.  I don’t know if the sound is 100% accurate, but it is really good and distinctive from my other loco sounds.

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, ColinK said:

I had my first run cobo sound fitted by Howes.  I don’t know if the sound is 100% accurate, but it is really good and distinctive from my other loco sounds.

I'm going to fit a recording of Sean Dyche gargling, not be far off I'll wager!

Mike.