The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. The seaweed twirlers say we might have thunderstorms and it feels like it, very muggy tonight.

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

... If you’re thinking we're descended from Pirates you’d probably be right. ...

https://johncolby.wordpress.com/2024/05/01/rwanda-and-civil-servants-resits-a-new-addition-to-the-extended-family/

I'm possibly descended from a pirate as well. Unfortunately a lot of the relevant records were lost in the fire of London in 1666. My fathers side of the family were watermen going back several generations based at Gravesend and were almost certainly involved in smuggling.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Goodnight all 

• Thanks 6

Posted (edited)

Yesterday I took the winter tires off the car and replaced them with the all-season tires it runs with for the warmer months. Today, I drove the car some distance with the all-seasons. I had forgotten how much quieter the car is with those tires on, compared with the winters.

Edited by pH
  • Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Barry O said:

Ey up!

Nice day at Driffield .. excellent teas, warmer weather but... my colleague made a couple of major screw ups wch badly impacted the outcome of the game.

Very late home as the A64 eas closed for overnight roadworks...pah! Today its off up the A64 (again) for a game near Malton. I had been asked to umpire games on thursday and Friday but I am off the a show in Bristol on Thursday.. and.. I am a semi retired umpire...

Have a good day if you can!

Baz

My old layout 'Appledore' will be there with some of our usual crew but not me this time.

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, BR60103 said:

New mounts and a new washer of wax instead of foam. Shims under the base -- looks like the floor has a slight hump.

I've now seen it done; I think I'll use a professional next time as well.

Don’t be afraid of doing it yourself. I’ve repaired one toilet, then replaced that one several years later, plus replaced two others. The most difficult bit is being able to lift the bowl high enough to clear the wax ring and not deform it. You  can get wax rings of different thicknesses, or actually stack wax rings to take account of some unevenness in the floor. (And I’ve never heard of foam gaskets before!)

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Busy, busy, busy..

Getting picked up at 10 ish. Then off to the club to load van. Then trundle down to Bristol.

Hopefully we will have a good weekend.. 

Misty this morning ( the sun didn't burn through it until lunch timeish yesterday.)

Time to get up and eat.. I may be gone gor a few days so.. behave.... the awl flinger will be watching

Baz

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

A bit of an overcast start to the day so far,  it the sun looks like it’s trying to breakthrough the clouds. My first task will be to drop Sheila off at the church hall for her Zumba class, after which I’ll return home to try and tackle setting up our new digibox recorder thingy, this should be fun! Once that's (hopefully) done, I’ll carry on with the micro layout buildings which I’ve made a start building. This will get packed up just before dinner, as Charlie is due round this afternoon. 

Back later. 

Brian 

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Morning, from a dry rock at 12c with more promised, indeed almost a given.  Wonders.  Breezy to windy though.

We're off on a little bike ride this morning, as Mrs NHN wants one (!) of her other bikes out of winter storage and another to be put away for a few months.  So the white bike needs a good run to charge the battery before laying it up.  The blue one will emerge from a chrysalis like a flutterby, it hasn't been ridden for a couple of years.

• Like 19

Portuguese Custard Tarts (or more properly Pastel de Nata).

Although the original (and some say only true) recipe is a closely guarded secret (see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pastel_de_nata), all recipes I’ve seen call for flour, butter, egg yolks, cinnamon, vanilla extract, cornflour, lemon zest and water.

The highlighted ingredients tend be avoided by commercial manufacturers due to reasons of cost (butter, cinnamon, vanilla extract) or shelf life (butter) or ease of preparation (lemon zest). Butter, especially, is frequently replaced by margarine (or a pseudo-butter) as items made with butter can quickly go rancid. For a home baker, the cost difference between using real ingredients as opposed to synthetics is marginal, but for a company mass producing thousands of Pastel de Nata each day a one or two pence difference (or more) between real and synthetic ingredients soon mounts up to a big wodge of cash*.

Furthermore, even with the financial advantages of bulk purchasing and mass production, using “real” ingredients could well increase the price per unit to a point where those who care more about price than quality will no longer buy your product.

Let’s be honest here: how many on ER would spend £5 for a hand made, all natural ingredient Pastel de Nata from a small baker?

* one US site quotes $6.19 an ounce (about 30mL or 6 tsp) for a pure vanilla extract and $0.12 an ounce for synthetic vanilla. So if a batch of tarts (12) requires 1 tsp of vanilla, then a mass production of 12000 tarts would require about 2000 fl oz of vanilla for a total of about $12000 for the real stuff or $240 for the synthetic version.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

Posted (edited)

Actually warm and sunny with a light breeze today, temp due to rise to 20deg by this afternoon!  S'pose I ought to grub some more weeds out before they rocket up...

Edited by Hroth
typpo...
  • Like 16

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

I don’t know the detailed recipe for the pastel de nata from our local deli but they appear to be made in batches of about 30 or so, are scrumptious and cost £1.50 each.

Dave

Think I'll stick to my custard slice if you don't mind. Two for £1.50. It's my Friday afternoon treat.

Edited by Winslow Boy
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Think I'll stick to my custard slice if you don't mind. Two for £1.50. It's my Friday afternoon treat.

I don’t mind at all but for a difference of 75p for a once a week treat my personal choice is the pasta del nata. Each to his own; an ‘influencer’ I am not.

Dave

• Like 5
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12