Kernow Adams O2

This seems a straightforward enough inquiry and I'm surprised and disappointed at the "nil" response so far.

It's my understanding that the Chinese factories do not provide any spare parts, and that spares that are available from Hornby or Bachmann come from cannibalising other locos, mostly those that have been returned. Providing spares would therefore be much more of a problem for Kernow with their smaller batch sizes.

Thank you Graham, the problem has been resolved by a "work around." Not ideal but as the term implies and it may work.

But a replacement O2 door would be welcome.

It seems incomprehensible that any model should be sold without adequate back-up arrangements for spares. And no sight of them on even on the far horizon.

I suggest these are reasonable grounds in asking for one's money back if an item for which a spare is sought is negligently made.

Did you talk to Kernow about it?

Like others here, it is not clear whether the model was supplied or not without said item etc or if you have some form of modification planned. The former is 'not fit for purpose' as a new item. The latter is your choice and needs to wait until such after market items are available.

Gentlemen, thank you for your interest and your kind suggestions. The background to this is that I took this issue up on behalf of a  member who by reason of age and an affliction could not readily pursue it on his own.

Kernow have been aware of the problem from the very beginning as he received his O2 among the first batches dispatched. And I'm of opinion it could have been readily resolved by a friendly and helpful response. That has been lacking.

I will not say more other than he tells me by reason of this dis-satisfaction with Kernow he will no longer be a customer. Similarly neither will I because of flaws in my own O2 and lack of faith in future products.

I regard the matter as closed. He and I have arrived at a satisfactory solution-I have taken the part he was seeking from my O2. Simple as that, as Kernow could have done to assist a customer from a returned defective loco.

This seems a sad story for to be fair Kernow did take steps to produce a loco unavailable elsewhere.

post-3088-0-78119100-1471965975_thumb.jpg

Kernow have been aware of the problem from the very beginning as he received his O2 among the first batches dispatched. 

What exactly was wrong with the loco as-supplied? Was the door missing, damaged, or else somehow incorrect? Such information is useful to know, but can't be gleaned from vague statements of dissatisfaction..

• 2 weeks later...

Was the door missing in the first place?

I would be very surprised if it was. Still these things do happen very occasionally.

Or was it lost or damaged by the owner?

If it's the latter, then that's down to him and nothing to do with Kernow or Dave J.

As for not buying any more from Kernow then that's your freedom of choice, but to add balance I have always found their customer service to be exemplary.

Edited by BlackRat

Here's a post about the model. I ran in my K2103 30182 last weekend no trouble at all! What a great model loco! I gave it an hour bunker first with my trio of  Hornby crimson Maunsell conversions (Set 43 plus the loose 3rd) after running in, and there was no haulage or running problem there.

The only thing resembling an issue in any shape or form was that it was necessary to cut the foam packing and the plastic "wheel seat" packing piece to enable this little marvel to go back to bed in its box with the couplings fitted.

Having read up about 30182's real-life antics in "Push Pull at Yeovil Town" (Railway Bylines April 2016) I could quite probably find myself visiting Messrs. Kernows Limited Editions Web page to see about gathering in Push-Pull Gate Set No. 373 (BR Green).

So a big THANK YOU to Kernow! No doubt I will be back for more in the future.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

A couple of snaps of the (surprisingly!) small motor taken whilst dismantling one.

post-6728-0-82083700-1472993647_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-37660100-1472993656_thumb.jpg 

Plus a couple which shows show space for any possible EM or P4 conversion.

post-6728-0-42667600-1472994119_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-69895100-1472994128_thumb.jpg

Edited by Re6/6
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

How come its unpainted?

l bought it at the Taunton RMweb day back along as a pre-production model. 

l pulled it apart as it doesn't go and to see what P4 conversion would be like rather than gambling on a brand new one and finding that it would be difficult to do or that l might  b****r it up!

In fact it does look convertible with half axles. lt has a split chassis but not like the awful early Bach ones. One thing to sort will be the axle diameter which is an odd 3.8mm so some sort of bushing will be required. Nothing new to those who model in the 'wider gauge'!

Edited by Re6/6
  • Like 2

l bought it at the Taunton RMweb day back along as a pre-production model. 

l pulled it apart as it doesn't go and to see what P4 conversion would be like rather than gambling on a brand new one and finding that it would be difficult to do or that l might  b****r it up!

In fact it does look convertible with half axles. lt has a split chassis but not like the awful early Bach ones. One thing to sort will be the axle diameter which is an odd 3.8mm so some sort of bushing will be required. Nothing new to those who model in the 'wider gauge'!

Be interesting to know how you get on. A lot of P4 people are currently put off over this unknown quality about conversion of DJM models. However if you pull it off and show how, I am sure others will follow. This exercise will either confirm it is impossible or put to bed that theory by showing it can be done.

The motor is the same one used in the DJM Well tanks.

A couple of snaps of the (surprisingly!) small motor taken whilst dismantling one.

001.JPG

003.JPG

Plus a couple which shows show space for any possible EM or P4 conversion.

006.JPG

007.JPG

Thanks for that. It doesn't look to be possible to do a conversion.

Regards

Edited by PenrithBeacon

Thanks for that. It doesn't look to be possible to do a conversion.

Regards

Somewhere else on RMWeb there is a thread detailing how to do an EM conversion... Coudln't tell you where it is though!

Chris

....In fact it does look convertible with half axles. lt has a split chassis but not like the awful early Bach ones. One thing to sort will be the axle diameter which is an odd 3.8mm so some sort of bushing will be required. Nothing new to those who model in the 'wider gauge'!

It does look like it was deliberately designed not to be convertible (see also the Well Tanks) using the existing mechanism, although the space given under the splashers suggests you could use your own chassis (SEF, most likely) underneath.

It does look like it was deliberately designed not to be convertible (see also the Well Tanks) using the existing mechanism, although the space given under the splashers suggests you could use your own chassis (SEF, most likely) underneath.

It looks as though these annoyingly difficult/impossible to convert chassis could create a useful source for O-16.5. I wonder if I could acquire any cheap/free ones! I knew there was a good reason for modelling in EM and O-16.5, but there are no currently available locos I want to convert to EM.

• RMweb Gold

It does look like it was deliberately designed not to be convertible (see also the Well Tanks).

Oh yes I remember this being specifcally mentioned on the design briefs...

Sorry but your comment is a daft thing to imply, the design was choosen to meet the requirements of 00 gauge, tooling, space available, the manufacture and cost.

I accept that that for those wanting a wider gauge that is not good news as conversion is not easy but market forces were prevailing.

• Like 2

How so?

Lots of P4 modellers look to the conversion guides in the EM Gauge Society Manual.

Assuming I'm thinking of the same thread, the conversion to EM was simply a matter of pulling the wheels out to a 16.5 mm B2B 

A couple of snaps of the (surprisingly!) small motor taken whilst dismantling one...

Rather like a 'works grey paint' treatment, usefully letting us see what the construction is like. There's a low cost oportunity for manufacturer publicity.

Regarding the P4 conversion, I should have thought that the model coming with a suitable motor to drive whatever undercrackers the converter constructs, makes it a 'cup half full' proposition.

• RMweb Gold

A few more snaps.

It's a very nicely put together chassis, if a little unusual design. IMHO. The pick-up method of a standard (unaltered) model looks to be good.

post-6728-0-48609200-1473163126_thumb.jpg

The wheel design is certainly different with an inset 'Romford style' method of quartering.

post-6728-0-19488300-1473163136_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-21581900-1473163150_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-72502200-1473163159_thumb.jpg

The I.D. of the brass bushes 3.8mm.

post-6728-0-97622100-1473163212_thumb.jpg

This is a 'Romford style' square shoulder. The diameter of the axle at the ouside end is 1.8mm, at the inside the diameter is 2.7mm

post-6728-0-86866900-1473163253_thumb.jpg

Anybody contemplating a conversion for the 'broader gauges' will have to draw their own conclusions about the ease or not of the job.

P.S. A P4 wheelset will fit within the splashers with just under 1mm to spare either side thus not having to scrape out the splasher thickness as is often usual.

lt would seem that the forthcoming DJM Cl 71 will have sufficient 'between sideframes' space for EM and P4 conversion according to the model press. I do recall imploring Dave at a show to please make conversions for the 'wider gauge lunatic fringe' possible within the design, when he was asking for crown funding. Well it would seen that the smaller manufacturers are at last looking out for 'us'!

..as for Hornby and Bach...I doubt that they'll ever listen!

Edited by Re6/6