Kernow Adams O2

Thanks P.

So, they are the same size as used in the new Farish stuff. I'm stunned. They are powerful, but I would have never considerd them suitable for 4mm use. Were available on ebay from China/Hong Kong recently, might still be. About £2-3 for batches of 4 IIRC - I got a few, along with some of the Mitsumi ones. Search for micro-motors or 7x16 coreless.

cheers,

Izzy

May need to start a new topic on this as I fear we may be moving away from the E2.

Bachmann Motor is 7 mm Dia x 16.5 mm L. Shaft is 1 mm Dia. probably extending 3 mm from the body end. The shaft sits some way down the worm wheel bore. having removed it from my 101 and stripped it to count worm leads and worm wheel teeth I calculate the gearing to be 52:1.

From a steer I was given by PM yesterday the motor may be rated at 24 volts.

P

Thanks for the heads-up on the motors, loads of 7x16 coreless ones  with lower voltages on e-bay, usually for small drones etc but found one type  with both  12v / 24v specs, think that's the right one  so ordered a couple of those.  95p each with free postage from China. I did give in and buy a few more of the excellent Mitsumi motors, they'd gone up since the pound dropped but still about 50p each.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I finally gave in and purchased a 30225 at the Worthing show on Sunday (Kernow seem to have some sort of sonic thought broadcaster fitted to their stand that makes my wallet open up and empty every time I see them!!)  Very impressed and further improved it by fitting a crew, some coal, an etched smokebox number plate and after the requisite running in, it is ready to go.

Are there going to be spares of the body shells and fittings thereof available at any point?  I am considering putting together a G6 0-6-0 at some point which from the footplate upwards seems to be very similar.

• Like 1

If anyone is interested in representing the class in LSWR days, there is now a topic in the Pre-Grouping section of the site that is concentrating on the use of RTR models for representing the LSWR, one of several topics appearing to consider how RTR models might be used for earlier periods.

The topic includes the Radial, M7, Well Tank, rolling stock etc and is to be found here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/115499-using-rtr-models-to-represent-the-lswr/page-1

• 2 weeks later...

Think my 30225 will have to go back as all it does is sit on the track and whine no movement at all, shame as the other two are great runners , not sure if there is anything I could try before returning ?.

One of my Well Tanks did exactly the same. Sent it back - instantly replaced.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have any recommendations for waterslide or pressfix cabside numbers for renumbering  30193 or 30225.  I have noted there is a  set at Model Master Jacksons which includes numbers for both 30203 and 30236 but I have not been able to find a set for 30200 which is what I want to renumber one of my locos to. If there are not any 30200 waterslide transfers available anywhere could anyone recommend which are the most suitable available pressfix transfers to use to apply individual numbers to the cabside please.

Many thanks in advance.

Lee

• RMweb Premium

Does anyone have any recommendations for waterslide or pressfix cabside numbers for renumbering  30193 or 30225.  I have noted there is a  set at Model Master Jacksons which includes numbers for both 30203 and 30236 but I have not been able to find a set for 30200 which is what I want to renumber one of my locos to. If there are not any 30200 waterslide transfers available anywhere could anyone recommend which are the most suitable available pressfix transfers to use to apply individual numbers to the cabside please.

Many thanks in advance.

Lee

Lee, I renumbered 30225 to 30200 using Pressfix transfers but the size and colour don't quite match:

post-21039-0-14316000-1479327484_thumb.jpg

I now plan to redo the whole number using Modelmaster transfers by mixing and matching two complete numbers from sheets 4010a - probably 3020[3] and [3190]0 (if that makes sense).

Hope this helps.

• 1 month later...

I would agree Neil. When in conversation a while ago with the editor of one of the magazines, l raised this very point about allowing clearances for the 'wider persuasion' at the design stage.He told me that according to the manufacturers that a high proportion of purchases made never leave the box let alone are played with! 

So putting a motor in is also a waste of time? Just sell them as dummies and still make 80% of the revenue.

Chris

• 2 months later...

Even after reading this entire thread and looking at sources such as br databased I'm still struggling to come up with a firm answer. I would like to have an O2 that would have been at Wadebridge. It seems that 3 of them were based there at some point. However could anyone clarify the dates and which of these was there the longest. Also which one of the kernow models currently available is most suitable to change to one of the Wadebridge locos. Ie just a simple renumbering.

Cheers

Pete

30193 30203 and 30236 with 182 and 219 in SR days. Non Push Pull fitted versions appear to be the norm on the Wadebridge to Bodmin North services with the occasional run to Padstow. 

The Kernow non motor fitted version will be OK but will require renumbering. 

There was a brief usage of Push Pull fitted workings but way back in 1918.

Source Irwell Press North Cornwall Railway

• 1 month later...

Just got one of these.

Been considering it for a while but the offer with the tank wagons made my mind up as they're perfect for my Sentinel.

Pretty impressed so far. I'll have to wait for a few days to test it though. I take it that a Gaugemaster DS is fine with the coreless motor. It doesn't mention the dreaded Feedback word in the controller instructions.

Jason

• RMweb Premium

30193 30203 and 30236 with 182 and 219 in SR days. Non Push Pull fitted versions appear to be the norm on the Wadebridge to Bodmin North services with the occasional run to Padstow. 

The Kernow non motor fitted version will be OK but will require renumbering. 

There was a brief usage of Push Pull fitted workings but way back in 1918.

Source Irwell Press North Cornwall Railway

Actually shredded at Wadebridge you had:

30192 between 12/59 & 03/53

30200 between 8/50 & 3/61

30203 between 8/50 & 1/56

30236 between 12/55 & 1/60

The final in the list is from the batch (30227-3026) produced with a taller cab and is different to the Kernow model.

Wadebridge was a sub-shed of Exmouth Junction and some of the O2s from there appeared on Bodmin-Wadebridge-Padstow services. 30199 in particular was a regular between 8/50 &10/61.

Of them all, for BR period I would go for either 30199 or 30200.

Actually shredded at Wadebridge you had:

30192 between 12/59 & 03/53

30200 between 8/50 & 3/61

30203 between 8/50 & 1/56

30236 between 12/55 & 1/60

The final in the list is from the batch (30227-3026) produced with a taller cab and is different to the Kernow model.

Wadebridge was a sub-shed of Exmouth Junction and some of the O2s from there appeared on Bodmin-Wadebridge-Padstow services. 30199 in particular was a regular between 8/50 &10/61.

Of them all, for BR period I would go for either 30199 or 30200.

Does anyone have the summer 1947 allocation for Exmouth Junction and the Wadebridge subshed.  Somewhere along the line I had been misinformed and used 200 as the number for my Summer 1947 O2 power. Otherwise it looks like 219 would be the next in line as I would only have two digits to change.  I didn't see it in my copy of the NCR Illustrated History or on the SEMG site.

Edited by autocoach

• RMweb Gold

Not sure if this helps but as of 1st Jan 1948;

Exmouth Junction...30192/193/199/207/224/230/232

Wadebridge.........30181/203

Rob

I've been searching through this thread but haven't found any mention of fitting a sound chip to an O2. This is something I want to do and have been talking with Steve at South West Digital, but not actually having fitted one out he isn't too certain of how it would go.  I am thinking of the LokPilot v4 with a small speaker, but would it be best to use the 6 pin version, or to hard wire?  Steve says he has heard that the available speaker wires in the model actually go to the 6 pin plug, which is wrong and a mistake during manufacture.

As this will be my first venture into the black art of DCC I'd be very grateful for any feedback from someone who has equipped an O2 with sound.

I've been searching through this thread but haven't found any mention of fitting a sound chip to an O2. This is something I want to do and have been talking with Steve at South West Digital, but not actually having fitted one out he isn't too certain of how it would go.  I am thinking of the LokPilot v4 with a small speaker, but would it be best to use the 6 pin version, or to hard wire?  Steve says he has heard that the available speaker wires in the model actually go to the 6 pin plug, which is wrong and a mistake during manufacture.

As this will be my first venture into the black art of DCC I'd be very grateful for any feedback from someone who has equipped an O2 with sound.

Youchoos have done a fitting guide using a Zimo chip here (both via hard wiring or just plugging in):

http://www.youchoos.co.uk/Index-Resource.php?L1=Guides&Item=KernowO2

I am not sure what sounds they used but suspect an M7 which will be correct for all except the push-pull gear.

Edited by JSpencer

Youchoos have done a fitting guide using a Zimo chip here (both via hard wiring or just plugging in):

http://www.youchoos.co.uk/Index-Resource.php?L1=Guides&Item=KernowO2

I am not sure what sounds they used but suspect an M7 which will be correct for all except the push-pull gear.

Thanks for your reply.  I did actually look at that site a week or so ago. which is quite helpful, but I was hoping to find someone who has done it himself, and some clarification on the potential problem with the wiring, though the YouChoos page suggests there isn't a problem.  Or, maybe, that there wasn't with the engine they used.  I have K2104 (30225) and K2106 (30193), both from when they were first available.  SWD also uses an M7 soundtrack which will be fine for me as I don't need the push-pull gear.

(Added)  I've just sent an enquiry to KMRC about the possible wiring problem.

Edited by Piskey

Thanks for your reply.  I did actually look at that site a week or so ago. which is quite helpful, but I was hoping to find someone who has done it himself, and some clarification on the potential problem with the wiring, though the YouChoos page suggests there isn't a problem.  Or, maybe, that there wasn't with the engine they used.  I have K2104 (30225) and K2106 (30193), both from when they were first available.  SWD also uses an M7 soundtrack which will be fine for me as I don't need the push-pull gear.

(Added)  I've just sent an enquiry to KMRC about the possible wiring problem.

As far as i know theres no wiring problem, I've sound fitted two of mine both with Zimo 6pin decoders. IIRC the speaker wires from the bunker are connected to the decoder PCB but not the six pin socket. There are two solder pads on the PCB (labelled 'sp' i think) to connect the speaker flying leads from the decoder. 

Edited by tender

As far as i know theres no wiring problem, I've sound fitted two of mine both with Zimo 6pin decoders. IIRC the speaker wires from the bunker are connected to the decoder PCB but not the six pin socket. There are two solder pads on the PCB (labelled 'sp' i think) to connect the speaker flying leads from the decoder. 

Many thanks indeed - that is just what I needed to know.   Brilliant!

• 2 weeks later...

I finally plucked up the courage to weather a locomotive, the chosen subject being one of the Kernow O2s. I started by renumbering it to 32 Bonchurch in late BR livery and then as per Martyn Welch's book spraying it with acrylic varnish to provide a protective layer against the assault which was to follow. In the process I chose the wrong time of day and ended up with the loco misted with large white spots. At first I thought it looked horrible and then I warmed to it, deciding that it would probably work well if I weathered on top of it. The white misting was not unlike certain shots of life-expired O2s in the mid 1960s on the Isle of Wight. Especially good was the effect around the smokebox door which looked like limescale. In the process I ended up with a locomotive more heavily weathered than I intended, but pretty much looking like Bonchurch in her last days of service.

Then the tale took a turn for the worse. I had recently had a letter published in the Modeller essentially replying to an article by Steve Flint about the difficulty of servicing and maintaining modern RTR products. There was considerable discussion on this forum about the lack of spares for these Kernow/DJM models. John Flann was particularly vexed that he couldn't get a separate smokebox door...  In the process of weathering said beast, the screw and spring which attach the trailing bogie to the chassis took a dive to the floor, and resisted all attempts to find and recapture to  them.  A polite though buck-passing reply from Kernow referred me to DJM who, at the time of writing of this, have not replied.

Hmmm. I own 4 Kernow O2s with no visible manufacturer's support, and I have no idea how long they may last - they get heavy exhibition and home use. I also have a number of kit-built O2s for which I have many spare parts in stock, plus the ability to perform any maintenance task from re-wheeling to re-motoring to refitting detached detailed parts. I am confident they can be made to last a lifetime, and have no such confidence in the RTR equivalents.

Does anyone happen to know enough about screws and springs to advise where I might find said articles from an independent supplier? I am guessing they are standard products and not proprietary to Kernow or DJM. 

Chris Gardner

Alton 

Hants

post-18118-0-57622900-1496221486_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

...  In the process of weathering said beast, the screw and spring which attach the trailing bogie to the chassis took a dive to the floor, and resisted all attempts to find and recapture to  them.  A polite though buck-passing reply from Kernow referred me to DJM who, at the time of writing of this, have not replied.

.... and I have no idea how long they may last - they get heavy exhibition and home use. 

Same as me, when I lifted Ventnor off for wheel cleaning a few of months ago, the bogie was left on the track.  No sign of screw or spring but could have been missing for ages, track cleaned and vacuumed once a week and lots of it.  Runs OK without being properly attached, but no back-up for spares it seems.