Dapol 'Western'

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

I held the eyelets with a sewing needle (the taper grips the inside of the hole), cut from the sprue and fixed with Mek Pak, a really tiny drop. The solvent needs to be drawn into the joint and not run on the surface because it will stain the painted finish. I did the lot this way, got one tiny mark and no losses. The important thing is use a needle, not a pin because a pin has a cylindrical shape and you need the taper to grip. The needle gives you a handle for the eyelet. Good luck all the same :-)

Richard.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It's probably been mentioned before, but, if you weave a bit of thin wire or cotton through the lifting rings whilst still on the fret, then they don't go into orbit.

Mike.

Appreciate this and other suggestions, thanks, however in my own case it's a lack of manual dexterity as much as anything which caused problems with these tiny parts.  I've managed some (and I think the profanity filter on the house has finally been cleaned!) but had to abandon others.

The only Dapol Western I own was a Kernow weathered edition, which, fortunately for me, had the lifting rings (as well as the name and number plates) pre-fitted. Nevertheless, one of those lifting rings has fallen out and gone missing, so I bought a spare fret from DCC Supplies some time ago. Like Rick (gwiwer), my modelling skills are reasonably good, but replacing the lifting ring defeated me for the same reasons he gave!

I'll have to see if I can cadge a needle off SWMAABO* from her collection.

* She Who Must Almost Always** Be Obeyed.

** Well, she would like to think so, anyway!   :jester:

Edited by SRman
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Courage taken with both hands firmly grasping the credit card.  There are now three fewer ring-things in stock at DCC supplies which should give me more than enough spares to frustrate myself and turn the air blue once more.  I'll try the needle technique.  One of the Kernow fleet here has also shed a ring so a stock of spares won't go amiss and isn't going to upset the overall packing arrangements for what is by most standards a substantial collection of rolling stock destined for the UK before their next summer.

• RMweb Premium

Courage taken with both hands firmly grasping the credit card.  There are now three fewer ring-things in stock at DCC supplies which should give me more than enough spares to frustrate myself and turn the air blue once more.  I'll try the needle technique.  One of the Kernow fleet here has also shed a ring so a stock of spares won't go amiss and isn't going to upset the overall packing arrangements for what is by most standards a substantial collection of rolling stock destined for the UK before their next summer.

Years ago I saw some sculptures done inside the eyes of needles and other tiny places. The chap trained himself to control his own heartbeat so he could work between beats. I remember his efforts when I get fiddly small things. I did prepare by clearing and cleaning the bench and some other gentle and easy tasks to try to get myself as relaxed as possible. The engine is nice and heavy so at least it stays put during assembly. Hope this helps.

Richard.

I only bought one 'cos it looked nice at a good price!

Now I learn they're a new swearword learning exercise!

I had enough of that working on full size locomotives, should these carry a health warning on the box perhaps?

C6T.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I had a look at one of my maroon westerns today and noticed the frame looks like it's bending...

I had the body off to check and can't see any explanation, the plastic frame is fitted by its lugs to all points on the metal chassis block, and the block itself looks ok.

There's no slack in the fitting.

But try as I might I cannot get the body to seat correct on the chassis, leaving a gap.

The frame seems to be dropping at both ends, there's no play to "coax" it up either, as I said a very tight fit.

When screwing the body back on I noticed the screw centres are no longer fully aligned to the hole either, there slightly off at an angle..about .5mm

The gap is obvious at the cab fronts, there's a 0.75mm gap between the body and the front frame fairings when they are flush on others.

Any thoughts ?

post-20773-0-91550500-1488317102_thumb.jpg

post-20773-0-71352300-1488317113_thumb.jpg

post-20773-0-87584600-1488317122_thumb.jpg

Edited by adb968008

I had a look at one of my maroon westerns today and noticed the frame looks like it's bending...

I had the body off to check and can't see any explanation, the plastic frame is fitted by its lugs to all points on the metal chassis block, and the block itself looks ok.

There's no slack in the fitting.

But try as I might I cannot get the body to seat correct on the chassis, leaving a gap.

The frame seems to be dropping at both ends, there's no play to "coax" it up either, as I said a very tight fit.

When screwing the body back on I noticed the screw centres are no longer fully aligned to the hole either, there slightly off at an angle..about .5mm

The gap is obvious at the cab fronts, there's a 0.75mm gap between the body and the front frame fairings when they are flush on others.

Any thoughts ?

OH god no, not again, lets hope there is a simple explination this time  :stinker:

I checked mine: one side at one end only had a very slight gap. The rest appeared fine.

I can't see why there is even a slight gap on mine, but if you can, check the chassis on yours to see if it has bowed slightly. Otherwise, check the plastic cowl mouldings to see if they have become slightly dislodged.

Just checked my two, one was perfect and the other had a small gap... a bit of perseverance and the body 'clicked' back into shape (without having to take anything apart), everything looks fine now. Certainly sounded like plastic anyway. I'm going to put it down to how I put the body back on when fitting the decoder.

Edit: Photo of mine after I clicked it back in... if you notice anything at a miss shout up :)

post-22343-0-12713400-1488406190_thumb.png

Edited by srihaggis
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Apologies for taking so long, family illness has been my focus so it's been a while since I saw the layout.

Today I decided to revisit my western , and concluded that the issue lies in that there are two different chassis's, and two different retainers for screws.

One chassis reflects the original design battery box clips

The other reflects the larger revised battery box clips

The two chassis types are not interchangeable, if you put a chassis with original clips under the other body, it results In the gap being shown, however in reverse putting an modified clips chassis under the other body, it does fit. This is down to the thickness and length of screws used, and the drilling of the chassis hole.

First I had the body off my D1056 (now D1058 MFYE) Which has the original battery box clips, then D1018 (now D1062 MHYE) which has the modified battery box clips.

As the modified clips fits, I didn't have an issue with my D1058, but I did have the issue with D1062 (in the original post of Feb 28th). Today I reversed my changes to original and compared them.. findings below..

post-20773-0-56831700-1489933059_thumb.jpg

Looking at the chassis, I can clearly see a different shape hole for the screw.

post-20773-0-42748800-1489933089_thumb.jpg

Looking at the body, I can see the screw threads are different sizes

post-20773-0-91615400-1489933117_thumb.jpg

Finally the screws are different thickness of thread, longer length and larger head than the other.

When I swapped bodies, the issue was resolved.

post-20773-0-03724500-1489933218_thumb.jpg

For now my D1062 will be maroon, as preserved, with modified battery box clips.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just a heads up that the Western Loco Association (owners of D1013 and D1062 based at the Severn Valley) have their latest limited edition for sale at Kidderminster Diesel Depot as part of the SVR 'Open House weekend. Its BR Blue D1013 (pristine or weathered) and D1062 (pristine only). The weathered D1013 especially looks superb. Model railways also on display at the depot and elsewhere along the line. Model also available online - http://www.westernlocomotives.co.uk/apps/webstore/

• Like 1

Just ordered one of their D1013 models off their website. The site threw a wobbly, payment taken but led me to a page saying order cancelled. Interesting. Have messaged them to see what the crack is. Looks a superb model.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Couldn't see the D1062 model online - perhaps sold out?

I'll try and photograph then post up the flyer (when I get home from work) that they were handing out at the event. The gent I spoke to did say that they only had a few for sale at the moment  - the rest are 'to follow' so fingers crossed they just haven't put D1062 up on the site yet. The 12'' to 1' version of the real 1062 is virtually complete in its repaint into 'rail blue' - looks magnificent!