Dapol 'Western'

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

It would be quite normal retail practice to clear out the last few at cost or even less in order to make shelf space for new items and / or just to be rid of the end-of-line pieces.  There might have only been one or two at the final offer price.  

Even though they can have their identities swapped (subject to fine detail if that matters to you) I managed to avoid a purchase this time.  I'm already wondering where my loco collection is going to go in a small London flat.

• RMweb Gold

I wonder if they sold many at full price ?, this isn't the first time they've sold them off.

When I was in the LT shop at the start of the month the blue one was in the cabinet marked £150 but with a sticker on the box saying 'half price' so I assumed it was £75. If they'd had a maroon one I would have asked but blue isn't my era and I don't need any much tempting to grab a bargain I don't actually need (so as my wife says - something that isn't actually a bargain at all ! :)

• RMweb Gold

It would be quite normal retail practice to clear out the last few at cost or even less in order to make shelf space for new items and / or just to be rid of the end-of-line pieces. There might have only been one or two at the final offer price.

Even though they can have their identities swapped (subject to fine detail if that matters to you) I managed to avoid a purchase this time. I'm already wondering where my loco collection is going to go in a small London flat.

Quite except, last November...

LT Museum selling westerns for £75 as part of a black friday deal

https://www.ltmuseumshop.co.uk/models/Dapol-western-d1018-blue#selection=pto_finish:Matt__970;pto_frame:Black__965;pto_size:Small__961;pto_mount:With%20Mount__973

https://www.ltmuseumshop.co.uk/models/Dapol-western-d1018-maroon#selection=pto_finish:Matt__970;pto_frame:Black__965;pto_size:Small__961;pto_mount:With%20Mount__973

Is this a museum sepcial addition? What condition are these locos in (esp Talisman clips) - would they be suitable for a preserved western (e.g. Champion?)

And also a New Years sale too.

I saw them in the shop last week on offer, but I've really got a full house of Westerns, much as I love them and the price is a bargain.. I'm just full.

Edited by adb968008

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Is there any sign of another run of these in OO?  Those currently available have either been weathered to hell and/or are going for silly prices all of a sudden!

• RMweb Gold

Is there any sign of another run of these in OO?  Those currently available have either been weathered to hell and/or are going for silly prices all of a sudden!

3 different new blue versions at Hattons (2 weathered and 1 pristine) for less than paid for maroon one from the first batch

• RMweb Gold

3 different new blue versions at Hattons (2 weathered and 1 pristine) for less than paid for maroon one from the first batch

This seems like a nicely weathered Western, at a good price too

http://www.hattons.co.uk/74817/Dapol_4D_003_012_Class_52_diesel_locomotive_D1026_Western_Centurion_in_BR_blue_with_full_yellow_e/StockDetail.aspx

Tempting...!

Cheers,

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Interestingly Hattons has offered numerous Westerns with rather good weathering which appears to match exactly that commissioned by Kernow MRC from Mercig Studios for their own exclusive (and premium priced) models.

Not being party to any comnercial arrangements I cannot make any further comment.

• RMweb Premium

Interestingly Hattons has offered numerous Westerns with rather good weathering which appears to match exactly that commissioned by Kernow MRC from Mercig Studios for their own exclusive (and premium priced) models.

Not being party to any comnercial arrangements I cannot make any further comment.

Dapol produced its own (as opposed to a Kernow commissioned) weathered Western, as D1026 Western Centurion with incorrect headboard clips. I agree the weathering does look like the Kernow ones. I've only seen that one on offer from Hatton's as a new model, but it keeps appearing on the New Stock page presumably because Hatton's orders it in small batches of half a dozen or so locos.

Edited by brushman47544

• RMweb Gold

Pity about the headboard clips. (D1026 didn't have them.)

Geoff Endacott

Is there any Western with a longer name that it could be renumbered as that did have the clips (and any other tell-tale differences)?

I do like the look if it and may just have to get one. Rule 1 can apply with it working onto my 1970s Southern layout occasionally until I get a Western micro-layout done for my D6xx on order.

Edit: I wondering about D1019 Western Challenger - that has the clips and the nameplate may be as long. Not an expert on Westerns so don't know what else to watch for.

Thanks,

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

• RMweb Gold

Challenger didn't last long enough to get the Talisman clips which the Hatton's model has.

(I think it exploded after take-off in 1986, by maybe I'm getting confused.)

Geoff Endacott

I know it will have been said somewhere in the previous 135 pages but could someone post a photo indicating the 'offending' clips? I live in a happy world where to my eye the only significant difference between one Western and another is the name and numberplate :)