Dapol 'Western'

Andy Y

My apologies if this has already been discussed, but given the provision of separate Shawplan name and number plates (nice) what other options for an earlier machine are possible for the model of Maroon SYP D1029? Or to put another way are there any restrictions between D1010 and D1028 for this livery and loco details (I'd like one that was released to traffic a tad earlier)? If possible I can then pick up new plates from Brian at Railex this weekend.

In checking the spelling change from one to two 'n's I note that Profile of the Westerns has it right, as does the caption on p36 of the recent MLI, but the fleet list in MLI says it was changed *to* Legionaire in 9/67 when it should say *from*. Presumably the name change happened when it was painted blue FYE.

TIA

.... as Trains4U are a bricks and mortar shop I would hope they would be above that sort of thing.  I guess the way to find out would be for some of the people here who didn't get one against their pre-order to try and buy one!...

Well, it looks like they're declining every single "best offer" that comes in.

• RMweb Premium

My apologies if this has already been discussed, but given the provision of separate Shawplan name and number plates (nice) what other options for an earlier machine are possible for the model of Maroon SYP D1029? Or to put another way are there any restrictions between D1010 and D1028 for this livery and loco details (I'd like one that was released to traffic a tad earlier)? If possible I can then pick up new plates from Brian at Railex this weekend.

In checking the spelling change from one to two 'n's I note that Profile of the Westerns has it right, as does the caption on p36 of the recent MLI, but the fleet list in MLI says it was changed *to* Legionaire in 9/67 when it should say *from*. Presumably the name change happened when it was painted blue FYE.

TIA

I suggest you look at Rudg1022's thread in the Diesel Hydraulic Group here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/54225-western-liveries-1961-1977/

but basically D1024 to D1029 are best avoided. D1024 was fitted with air vents cut into the underside of the roof peak at both ends and D1025 to D1029 were built without headboard clips.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Now that I can't answer.  I did get caught once (by a different seller) who just wanted to "borrow" my money for a while, but as Trains4U are a bricks and mortar shop I would hope they would be above that sort of thing.  I guess the way to find out would be for some of the people here who didn't get one against their pre-order to try and buy one!  I would, if I needed another...

Gareth is a respected contributor to this forum.He is being perfectly open about it.....nothing underhand. Unlike,it would seem.some retailers who are still happy to take an order which they cannot possibly fulfil.It is a genuine retail store...full of good things and well worth a visit.

The Ultrascale wheels are the correct scale diameter so hopefully the ride height will be unaffected by effectively moving the bogie up a smidgen.  Not that I've worked it out yet!

I'd have thought that altering the ride height would be a good idea. By my measurements the as supplied OO Dapol Western has buffer centres at 12.8mm. They should really be 13.8mm. Quite why they are a whole 1mm too low I don't know. The Ultrascale wheels are 14.4mm in diameter (at least the P4 diesel disc ones are, I assume the conversion pack uses the same tyres?) whereas the Dapol OO wheels are 13.6mm in diameter so a straight wheel conversion should move the buffer centres up to 13.2mm.

• Like 1

....Ultrascale wheels are 14.4mm in diameter (at least the P4 diesel disc ones are, I assume the conversion pack uses the same tyres?) ...

David Rogers told me during my visit that the wheels are essentially the same.

No doubt AGW will come up with their own version in due course.

• Like 1

U scales - running faces "about" 14.32mm diameter.  I just opened the pack and measured one... now it's going back in again as I have no loco to fit them too. 

I'd have thought that altering the ride height would be a good idea. By my measurements the as supplied OO Dapol Western has buffer centres at 12.8mm. They should really be 13.8mm. Quite why they are a whole 1mm too low I don't know. The Ultrascale wheels are 14.4mm in diameter (at least the P4 diesel disc ones are, I assume the conversion pack uses the same tyres?) whereas the Dapol OO wheels are 13.6mm in diameter so a straight wheel conversion should move the buffer centres up to 13.2mm.

Hi Justin

I did say I hadn't worked it out yet!  Thanks for the info though - I had assumed that Dapol got the ride height correct, without having actually checked for myself!  The difference in wheel diameter alone won't make up the buffer height discrepancy so I'll need to look at that carefully.  The conversion pack wheels do measure out at 14.4mm, at the wheel root.

Cheers

Paul

Gareth is a respected contributor to this forum.He is being perfectly open about it.....nothing underhand. Unlike,it would seem.some retailers who are still happy to take an order which they cannot possibly fulfil.It is a genuine retail store...full of good things and well worth a visit.

Suddenly, Trains4U's listing now shows three sold, three still available - maybe we should ask for a commission! :sungum:

Anyone know when the BR Blue versions will be out? Hattons have advised they are over-due, but do not know of a delivery date.

I think they're all gone... see the info in the thread above... at least, that's the gist I've picked up. I heard that there were some available at Cheltenham... but don't quote me.

Jon

• RMweb Premium

I think they're all gone... see the info in the thread above... at least, that's the gist I've picked up. I heard that there were some available at Cheltenham... but don't quote me.

Jon

Thanks Jon... In which case Hattons have not received any!

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Jon... In which case Hattons have not received any!

Yes they did - they have photos of the actual model on their website http://www.ehattons.com/36614/Dapol_4D_003_000_Class_52_diesel_D1005_Western_Venturer_in_BR_Blue_with_full_yellow_ends/StockDetail.aspx. Presumably they show as for pre-order becuase hattons expected to be able to get more. But it seems Dapol has sold out until a new production runs perhaps at the end of the year.

All of this has been touched on and commented by DapolDave on the more current Dapol Western thread here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/67674-Dapol-western-photo-review/page-59&do=findComment&comment=1048329. "Unfortunately" this older thread was resurrected and so readers of it are not getting the full picture.

Edited by brushman47544

• RMweb Premium

Ah - so I'm not seeing double!  Scrolled back up this topic looking for Dapol Dave's posts and couldn't find it and figured (in my semi-comatose vert early morning state) there must be another one somewhere ..... ;)

Dave has stated publicly that Hattons' order was cut by half.  Had this not been done many smaller and equally reputable suppliers would have had none at all.  This may mean Hattons are unable to meet all pre-orders.  Blue Westerns are available and in stock elsewhere for those who want one now.

Yes they did - they have photos of the actual model on their website http://www.ehattons.com/36614/Dapol_4D_003_000_Class_52_diesel_D1005_Western_Venturer_in_BR_Blue_with_full_yellow_ends/StockDetail.aspx. Presumably they show as for pre-order becuase hattons expected to be able to get more. But it seems Dapol has sold out until a new production runs perhaps at the end of the year.

All of this has been touched on and commented by DapolDave on the more current Dapol Western thread here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/67674-Dapol-western-photo-review/page-59&do=findComment&comment=1048329. "Unfortunately" this older thread was resurrected and so readers of it are not getting the full picture.

Andrew,

The only reason for ensuring that some messages are displayed on all Dapol Western threads is due to some locos having the wobbles outlined above....therefore all modellers need to be aware that their loco could be defective. 

This one is the 'update' thread after all.

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71

• RMweb Premium

Andrew,

The only reason for ensuring that some messages are displayed on all Dapol Western threads is due to some locos having the wobbles outlined above....therefore all modellers need to be aware that their loco could be defective. 

This one is the 'update' thread after all.

Dave

I wouldn't disagree with your motives at all Dave, but equally posting the same thing on more than one thread risks the discussion being split betweem then, rather than being concentrated in one place. And Andy Y has asked us not to multiple post in the past.

....I joined the conversations part way through and couldn't understand why a thread entitled 'photos' contained similar discussions to the 'update' thread. I agree with your summary but it is much too late to delete the text from the 'photo' thread, therefore, I can't see any alternative approach to duplicating some messages.

Dave

Evenin' all,

D1029 the wobbly Western is no more...the Ultrascale P4 conversion obviously included the removal/replacement of all original wheels. The wobble has gone.

Dave

....what are you disagreeing with ayrmrg? The fact that at least 3 users of this site have all had the same problem with the original wheels on these locos or that the Ultrascale P4 conversion cured the problem? 

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71