Dapol 'Western'

Andy Y

The next of the Dapol Westerns for Shenston Rd has now appeared. I'm just about finished with the wheel turning on the new fleet, untill I suspect the Maroon one arrive, and all has gone well with the process. A couple of points learn't was that the cast wheels as supplied has a variety of flange depths and widths so had to be assesed individually. A couple where found to have quite a wopple but Greg had the foresight to get a spare motor bogie so it is not too much of an issue. The other was when taking apart and putting the bogie together you have to be vary careful with the prototypical air pipes fitted to the side of them. They can get bent out of shape very easily and  if they don't go back right they can cause bogie rotational issues. The same is also true of the interaction between the front valance and the front brake rigging on the bogie. There isn't much clearence. 

Anyhow job done for now so enjoy another fine example of Gregs handiwork on D1000 Western Enterprise.

attachicon.gifD1000 Western Enterprise on Shenston Rd. (RM).jpg

Paul J.

That is stunning bit of modelling you have done there,had to have a look a few times to work out it was a model !!!!! 

4D-003-001 D1029 'Western Legionaire' BR Maroon with small yellow warning panel will start to be dispatched to stockists who have ordered them and are in good standing today.

Just had an email from Hattons to say my order has been processed.

Brilliant timing, the Ultrascale P4 wheels arrived a couple of days ago.

Nick

• Like 1

That's interesting, I'll have to check mine as I've paid for them but haven't heard anything yet.

Ultrascale have completed about a third to a half of the total orders for the conversion packs - about 70 of which are for P4.

• RMweb Premium

My first (maroon) Dapol Western is also on its way courtesy of Hattons. Before I decide whether or not to fit all those liffting lugs to the roof, can someone confirm please whether they should all be the same way round and should the rings be parallel to the bodyside or at 90 degrees?

• RMweb Gold

Still out there to buy. Cheltenham model centre has them on their website

My CMC (Not GCHQ!) mole tells me they are down to the last one

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Hi everyone,

4D-003-001 D1029 'Western Legionaire' BR Maroon with small yellow warning panel will start to be dispatched to stockists who have ordered them and are in good standing today.

So please keep an eye out for them Tomorrow at your local stockist just in case. They should all have left here to stockists by Thursday at the latest.

cheers

Dave

Hi everyone,

So please keep an eye out for them Tomorrow at your local stockist just in case. They should all have left here to stockists by Thursday at the latest.

cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,

Quote "cheers Dave" - You have certainly got something to cheer about as far as I am concerned.

Mine arrived from Kernow Models about half a hour ago. I know it has taken you a long time and a lot of effort to produce, and as a gauge of how well you have done I would like to say that I was instantly taken back 49 years to when I saw my first one at Plymouth North Road station. 

Thanks for all your efforts.

Chris

P4 wheels arrived yesterday... well done u/scale. Blue FYE model on Hattons showing as pre-order only, with Dave stating all delivered... so I guess there aren't any to be had. C'est la vie!

Super!

Can I ask where the depot allocation transfer came from please - is it a Replica transfer?

Cheers

Phil

Sorry Phil bit slow responding to this one. Greg informs me that it was formed of 2 replica transfer side by side with the middle bars removed. Not ideal but it looks good enough. The next task is to try and replicate the white oval version on blue or clear backgrounds. No one does one at the moment. Them that are are all on black backgrounds. With the Maroon ones now becoming available it looks like I'll have some more wheels to turn.

Paul J.

...impressive...thats a few more than registered interest for the P4. 

Some may have ordered more than one pack.

They did express surprise at the two orders for "OO", though.

My next visit to the Letchworth workshop will probably be in five/six months' time.

Of course there's more than one way to P4 a Dapol Western. My Ultrascale wheels arrived ages ago and work on the conversion continues. Fully sprung with leaf spring primaries and working secondary bolster springs. :) I had intended to put these under my Western Empress (Sovereign) but with the imminent arrival Western Druid (Legionaire) I think they'll go under her instead.

post-13847-0-33270500-1368710483.jpg

Justin

• Like 3

Let us know when that and the 40/44/45/46 bogies become available, please!

EDIT: Would there be some way of modifying the first gear stage so that an Ultrascale contrate-and-pinion set could be used instead?

Edited by Horsetan

• RMweb Gold

Sorry Phil bit slow responding to this one. Greg informs me that it was formed of 2 replica transfer side by side with the middle bars removed. Not ideal but it looks good enough. The next task is to try and replicate the white oval version on blue or clear backgrounds. No one does one at the moment. Them that are are all on black backgrounds. With the Maroon ones now becoming available it looks like I'll have some more wheels to turn.

Paul J.

Thanks Paul

I think theres a gap in the market here with all these hydraulics flying around. As you say no-one does them..... yet????

Cheers

Phil

Have just returned from test running a Heljan Cl 17 on Shenston Rd where Gregs latest Western incarnation had just left the paintshops. Here are a couple of shots of his latest efforts, D1028 Western Hussar.

post-7146-0-82058400-1368724841.jpg

post-7146-0-58037200-1368724827.jpg

Paul J.

edited for some wonky spelling of "Western"

Edited by Swindon 123
  • Like 9

Have just returned from test running a Heljan Cl 17 on Shenston Rd where Gregs latest Western incarnation had just left the paintshops. Here are a couple of shots of his latest efforts, D1028 Western Hussar.

attachicon.gifWestern Hussar on Shenston Rd®.jpg

attachicon.gifD1028 +D6320 on Stenston Rd ®.jpg

Paul J.

edited for some wonky spelling of "Western"

Ok , I like your air intake grill on front of western, how did you do that, looks better than my effort

Hussar looks the part with the vent; nice work.

I popped round to Shawplan Towers yesterday to do a bit of lobbying on Brian to get the glazing set underway. ;)

I've enquired about him including an etch for the driver's name plate holder in plans.

D1041aS.jpg

(still loads to do on it)

• Like 13