Dapol 'Western'

Andy Y

My first (maroon) Dapol Western is also on its way courtesy of Hattons. Before I decide whether or not to fit all those liffting lugs to the roof, can someone confirm please whether they should all be the same way round and should the rings be parallel to the bodyside or at 90 degrees?

This http://www.flickr.com/photos/fray_bentos/3925109227/sizes/o/in/set-72157603610278600 may help.

Aft'noon all,

An unexpected (but very nice) present has just arrived...a third Dapol Western. Unfortunately, I now have 2 P4 conversion packs for 3 locos. If anyone, for any reason, has a spare Ultrascale P4 conversion pack for the Dapol Western then I would be happy to purchase it from you.

I do have a spare Ultrascale P4 conversion pack for the Heljan Western to hand and these are the same disc wheels but the pick-ups will then need to be fashioned seperately.

The maroon SYWP Western which arrived this morning has a pronounced wobble at low speed...I'm hoping that this proves to be a wheelset issue which vanishes during the P4 conversion.

Cheers

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71

Hi everyone,

4D-003-001 D1029 'Western Legionaire' BR Maroon with small yellow warning panel will start to be dispatched to stockists who have ordered them and are in good standing today.

So please keep an eye out for them Tomorrow at your local stockist just in case. They should all have left here to stockists by Thursday at the latest.

cheers

Dave

Hi Dave

Hattons tell me that my pre-order for 4D-003-001 D1029 'Western Legionaire' BR Maroon with syp will be sent when they receive the second half of the batch of their order for this loco.  Is it possible to say when the second half of this batch is likely to be received by yourselves and dispatched to them?  Just like to know when to expect it..

Thanks.

Hi Dave

Hattons tell me that my pre-order for 4D-003-001 D1029 'Western Legionaire' BR Maroon with syp will be sent when they receive the second half of the batch of their order for this loco.  Is it possible to say when the second half of this batch is likely to be received by yourselves and dispatched to them?  Just like to know when to expect it..

Thanks.

Same question from me, but relating to a local shop in Buckfastleigh (you know the one!)

Hi,

As far as I am aware, ( sorry only just picked this posting up as I've been out all afternoon) all 498 models of this livery have gone out.

I know there are no more than 498 maroon SYWP produced in this batch, and i believe there is no second half batch still to arrive at Dapol. They all came in in one batch.

Now, this isn't to say that dispatch may not have been able to send the full amount in the time they had this week, but I don't see any logic in not sending models when they are there to be sent, and only sending 50% of the models ordered.

I personally imagine (and I know for a fact we were oversold by 7 models) that perhaps if 498 models have gone out, then there is a problem with A) the original order or B ) not enough were ordered.

However I'm not saying that anyone is telling fibs here, but until Monday when I can find out, all eventualities must be possible until they can be discounted.

I know 1 store won't have had any for 'certain' reasons and they do have them on order (not any of those named).

Bare with me please, I'll get answers on Monday, but prepare a plan B if you can.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

Evenin' all,

It is worth running your new locos at low speed and checking for rocking from side to side. I isolated the issue on mine (D1029 maroon SYWP, arrived today) and found at least one wheel on two wheelsets not mounted square to the axle.

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Paul

I think theres a gap in the market here with all these hydraulics flying around. As you say no-one does them..... yet????

Cheers

Phil

A possibility has emerged - watch out for further updates

Phil

Hi,

As far as I am aware, ( sorry only just picked this posting up as I've been out all afternoon) all 498 models of this livery have gone out.

I know there are no more than 498 maroon SYWP produced in this batch, and i believe there is no second half batch still to arrive at Dapol. They all came in in one batch.

Now, this isn't to say that dispatch may not have been able to send the full amount in the time they had this week, but I don't see any logic in not sending models when they are there to be sent, and only sending 50% of the models ordered.

I personally imagine (and I know for a fact we were oversold by 7 models) that perhaps if 498 models have gone out, then there is a problem with A) the original order or B ) not enough were ordered.

However I'm not saying that anyone is telling fibs here, but until Monday when I can find out, all eventualities must be possible until they can be discounted.

I know 1 store won't have had any for 'certain' reasons and they do have them on order (not any of those named).

Bare with me please, I'll get answers on Monday, but prepare a plan B if you can.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks, Dave.   Wasn't having a go at any particular retailer, but I was genuinely expecting  loco would arrive in my hands soon. But perhaps plan B will be  needed....

cheers, Bill

Edited by railroadbill

Hi

Well 6 oversubscribed now as I have cancelled my preorder. Happy with my Steam LE and as it is not really my era on arboretum valley, seems wrong to take one, if someone else is going to be disappointed.

Regards

Kal

HI Dave

I read your post and it says Western small yellow front 498, Is this 498 total for sales through shops and websites, or is this total loco's made?.

As I have one one pre order ,but have heard anything about my order,So far for one.

I did order late for this one ,So I fear I may have missed the boat on this one

Also what I lead to believe their will be no second run of them?

Darren01

• RMweb Gold

So ....... in effect,this is the equivalent of Bachmann's '504' Limited Edition,then? It might have been helpful if this knowledge had been in the public domain.Ah well......blink and you'll miss.I have been in the same position as Darren. 'My' retailer also hasn't,to date,had his allocation .( He is financially sound,by the way). Thus my order with him appears to have gone the way of all flesh.Fortunately,as I 've suffered a similar experience with the blue 52 and with the original release 22,I am 'ahead of the game',so to speak and have made alternative arrangements.Funny,though......there was one on e-bay yesterday. Wonder if it still is ?

Hi Ian and Darren,

Just popped by to clarify and try and explain our position on the Western if I can?

When we decided upon the amount of models we made we chose 500 (total made) of each deco. Basically knowing that our competitor was going to produce a batch made us err on the cautious as we didn't want to flood the market with too many.

This would have the effect of pretty much ruining the market for a couple of years.

Combined with the limited Kernow, Lord and Butler, Steam and WLA models there is still a heck of a lot of product going to be available in the next 4-6 weeks.

Sales in OO are still a learning curve for us and the last thing we need to do is spend so much only to see, like other manufacturers are doing, our new items still in stock at the factory and being remaindered to clear less than a year after release, and in some cases months after release.

We wont ever release details of the amount of models made before hand as this is always subject to change and commercial material i'm afraid. This will be made public of course if the models are limited editions.

Unfortunately we cannot do anything about the e-bayer's who do this, and it is not nice if you cannot get your model, but I cannot see a way round it except to take the financial risk of over producing so everyone gets a model but we might get stuck with stock.

It may be that dispatch didn't get the last of the models out until Friday, in which case its debatable whether those stockists would have got their model for today (more likely Monday and this wouldn't have been done on purpose, just workload i'm afraid) Like I said, I cannot clarify any further what has happened until Monday but rest assured I will.

I'm not sure it does, but I hope this helps if only a bit.

cheers

Dave

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Just having a manufacturer who responds so directly and (circumstances permitting) quickly to these sort of comments is a help.  It helps us understand that there are two sides to every coin and that while a few might be frustrated in their attempts to get sought-after models that there are other considerations at work as well.

We have probably one of the best RtR 00 diesel locos ever produced now available.  It would be a great shame if Dapol were to find themselves in a position of having over-produced leading to under-priced sales to clear stock and no business capital to develop future releases.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thank you for your transparency but  regrettably it does not help enthusiasts who have ordered in good faith from their tried and trusted retailer only to be disappointed. We are becoming too accustomed to this from experiences with Hornby......well documented elsewhere on this forum.If the model weren't so damned good,then it wouldn't matter. I already have two....with the third on its way. I know.......it's a learning curve.

• Like 1

Hi

Well 6 oversubscribed now as I have cancelled my preorder. Happy with my Steam LE and as it is not really my era on arboretum valley, seems wrong to take one, if someone else is going to be disappointed.

There's always eBay anyway, although my jaw dropped a couple of weeks ago when I spotted someone flogging a Steam edition Western with a starting price of - get this - £285 !!

Thank you for your transparency but  regrettably it does not help enthusiasts who have ordered in good faith from their tried and trusted retailer only to be disappointed. We are becoming too accustomed to this from experiences with Hornby......well documented elsewhere on this forum.If the model weren't so damned good,then it wouldn't matter. I already have two....with the third on its way. I know.......it's a learning curve.

Hi Ian,

A bit too early to jump in with that I. Think.

We had orders for 508, and had 500 made (interestingly that not a bad ratio regarding making what we can sell, I'm sure you'll agree).

Comparing Dapol supply to Hornby recent supply in this until the matter is figured out and reported back here on Monday is a tad premature.

Can I ask you an honest question?

What 'if' just 'if' and not saying they have, your trusted supplier is incorrect? What then?

Cheers

Dave

Edited by Andy Y
Some content removed pending discussions
  • Like 1

Can I add.

Although I planned to have 10 Dapol westerns for my old oak layout I have landed with none due the operational/electrical problems with them.

I am thou happy to pass on if folk are struggling to get hold of them that trains4u have a few of each in stock including the maroon version.

regards.

richard

Can I add.

Although I planned to have 10 Dapol westerns for my old oak layout I have landed with none due the operational/electrical problems with them.

I am thou happy to pass on if folk are struggling to get hold of them that trains4u have a few of each in stock including the maroon version.

regards.

richard

But none listed on their website... I just looked

Aft'noon all,

Those currently receiving newly purchased locos should check them at low speed for 'side to side' rocking caused by wheels poorly mounted/misaligned on the axles. The cure for those affected and who intend to run the locos with Dapol 'OO' wheelsets is to request a new and correctly aligned set of wheelsets from them. 

Dave

Well, I don't often come here, but reading this thread makes me glad I pre-ordered my "Legionaire" in plenty of time!  It arrived yesterday and it's running in now - hopefully it'll quieten down soon!  Like "Torr Giffard" Dave, mine has several wobbly wheels giving it a distinct waddle on the track.  Not a problem for me as I have a set of Ultrascale wheels ready and waiting, but this is something Dapol ought to look into, I think.  It is a beautiful model though, otherwise.  Holding it up against photos, it just looks right.  I could comment on the spelling of "Legionaire" not being correct in conjunction with silvered door kick-plates, or that D1029 didn't have headboard clips, but that would seem picky and give us P4 modellers a bad name   :derisive:

• Like 3