Dapol 'Western'

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ian,

A bit too early to jump in with that I. Think.

We had orders for 508, and had 500 made (interestingly that not a bad ratio regarding making what we can sell, I'm sure you'll agree).

Comparing Dapol supply to Hornby recent supply in this until the matter is figured out and reported back here on Monday is a tad premature.

Can I ask you an honest question?

What 'if' just 'if' and not saying they have, your trusted supplier is incorrect? What then?

Cheers

Dave

Some of us do know of one retailer who does - how shall I put it? - give out slightly 'misleading' information which tends to put the manufacturer on the spot when in fact the retailer would seem to have taken more customer orders or have indicated potentially great availability than the number they ordered from the manufacturer (or have made sure they will get by paying their bills on time?).

Edited by Andy Y
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ian,

A bit too early to jump in with that I. Think.

We had orders for 508, and had 500 made (interestingly that not a bad ratio regarding making what we can sell, I'm sure you'll agree).

Comparing Dapol supply to Hornby recent supply in this until the matter is figured out and reported back here on Monday is a tad premature.

Can I ask you an honest question?

What 'if' just 'if' and not saying they have, your trusted supplier is incorrect? What then?

Cheers

Dave

No....not a comparison.You can't compare a minnow with an elephant,anyway. Whomsoever the manufacturer,the end result  is the same,I'm afraid.I have experienced this with 3 different Dapol stockists and not just one

My maroon western arrived from Hattons on Friday, stunning model, haven't run it yet because I've taken my layout apart. Even wife thinks it's stunning.  It's been a long wait, but worthwhile. Even the box is beautiful.

Hi guys,

As promised here is my synopsis regarding the problems Ian has been having with getting hold of Dapol models and the current situation regarding Western Deliveries

Ian PM'd me off list a list of 3 stockists who he attempted to get models from over the last  couple of years with no joy. (not necessarily Western Related)

Out of prudency I will not name name's but here is the basic answers I gave Ian to his list of 3;

1) This stockist was supplied in full and subsequently sold his mail order customer orders to new turn up and buy customers at a show, then proceeded to come to Dapol for more stock to fill his mail orders (we had none)

2) Ditto the second stockist, but we have no record of being approached to re-supply with more stock and so didn't.

3) This stockist falls into the "Have ordered & are in good standing" category, as they have ordered.

For completeness, and not naming names again, the current supply situation is this, and this is correct as of 09.47 this morning;

2 x orders will be going out today (they missed Friday), and apart from the stockist in point 3 above, another 13 stockists fall into the  "Have ordered & are in good standing" category, where they have ordered.

I hope this helps clear things up.

cheers

Dave

Edited by Andy Y
Content amended pending offline discussion

Hi guys,

As promised here is my synopsis regarding the problems Ian has been having with getting hold of Dapol models and the current situation regarding Western Deliveries

Ian PM'd me off list a list of 3 stockists who he attempted to get models from over the last  couple of years with no joy. (not necessarily Western Related)

Out of prudency I will not name name's but here is the basic answers I gave Ian to his list of 3;

1) This stockist was supplied in full and subsequently sold his mail order customer orders to new turn up and buy customers at a show, then proceeded to come to Dapol for more stock to fill his mail orders (we had none)

2) Ditto the second stockist, but we have no record of being approached to re-supply with more stock and so didn't.

3) This stockist falls into the "Have ordered & are in good standing" category, as they have ordered.

For completeness, and not naming names again, the current supply situation is this, and this is correct as of 09.47 this morning;

2 x orders will be going out today (they missed Friday), and apart from the stockist in point 3 above, another 13 stockists fall into the  "Have ordered & are in good standing" category, where they have ordered.

I hope this helps clear things up.

cheers

Dave

Dave

The good news from this update is your reference to we are not producing any more until the next batch around late this year / early next, and these will be different product codes and names/numbers. I have spoken to my local model shop this morning who have told me they have insufficient to meet their orders..expect a call tomorrow!!.

Patience is said to be a virtue so I'll save my pennies and await the second batch. Maroon SYFP please.

Doug

Edited by Andy Y
Quoted content removed.

Thanks very much for the heads up, Dave. I now have the info to go back to Hattons and find out what they propose to do with my pre-order, now 14 months old.  ........ Thanks to posters on this thread I  now know of a couple of dealers who still have this version. As you said, Dave, there are Dapol 52s out there so I should be able to get one this time around, ..........

I'll pm you about the situation.  Great customer care from yourself, Dave,  that's Dapol and RMweb 12 points, ............ (Eurovision joke).

Bill

Last week, my local stockist's website listings for Dapol Westerns was a bit of a mess in that the loco numbers/names/catalogue numbers didn't match other stockist's listing, so I wasn't sure what was what, therefore I didn't get round to pre-ordering. Once they arrived in stock later in the week, the website was updated and matched other's listings, but showed only 3 in stock when I looked..........and unfortunately, the price had gone up a fair bit. Hey ho. So after reading this thread regarding the shortage, on Saturday morning I bought their last but one maroon SYP one (Legionaire) 'off the shelf', and they were all sold by Saturday evening!       

Edited by Coppercap

Dave

The good news from this update is your reference to we are not producing any more until the next batch around late this year / early next, and these will be different product codes and names/numbers. I have spoken to my local model shop this morning who have told me they have insufficient to meet their orders..expect a call tomorrow!!.

Patience is said to be a virtue so I'll save my pennies and await the second batch. Maroon SYFP please.

Doug

My understanding is that the Western Locomotive Association have not sold out of their 1062 Western Courier limited edition which is in maroon with small yellow warning panel.  I don't believe they have received there order yet, and they are asking a high price compared with the standard loco's, but if you don't want to wait....

Hi guys,

>snip>

cheers

Dave

Hi Dave, can you give any more info on these two Westerns, product code etc.

My understanding is that the Western Locomotive Association have not sold out of their 1062 Western Courier limited edition which is in maroon with small yellow warning panel.  I don't believe they have received there order yet, and they are asking a high price compared with the standard loco's, but if you don't want to wait....

It's not that expensive when you consider that all of the detailing parts including the roof lifting eyes and the nameplates are fitted.  ALSO I understand that profits from the sale of D1062 will go to the WLA and not a retailers pocket.

It's not that expensive when you consider that all of the detailing parts including the roof lifting eyes and the nameplates are fitted.  ALSO I understand that profits from the sale of D1062 will go to the WLA and not a retailers pocket.

Wasn't being critical of the WLA price, just stating that they are more expensive.  Except the additional parts and nameplates fitted and as a WLA member, I consider it a great cause.  Link to WLA site below..

http://westernloco.com/sales/

Evenin' all,

D1029 the wobbly Western is no more...the Ultrascale P4 conversion obviously involved the removal/replacement of all original wheels. This rectified the problem.

Dave

Hi Dave

I'll be very interested to know how well the Western runs with a straight wheel swap to P4.  The leading axle on each bogie seems very light and I'm worried about how well it will hold the track with the very rigid bogie, rear-biased loading and small flanges!  I'm trying to work out the best way to spring it and centre the pivot.  The latter is easy, the former less so!

Cheers

Paul

By the way, considering the grief that people seem to be having trying to find stock, I'm a little surprised that Trains4U's eBay shop is still showing six Legionaires available at less than Dapol's shop price. (No connection, although I have bought from them in the past.)

Hi Dave

I'll be very interested to know how well the Western runs with a straight wheel swap to P4.  The leading axle on each bogie seems very light and I'm worried about how well it will hold the track with the very rigid bogie, rear-biased loading and small flanges!  I'm trying to work out the best way to spring it and centre the pivot.  The latter is easy, the former less so!

Cheers

Paul

Hi Paul,

The levelled track on TG is some way off yet but the mock up illustrated on my thread with P4 flexitrack placed on unlevelled cork and a loco which hasn't even got the bottom plate fitted on the bogies posed no problems at all. No derailments and no issues. P4 wheelsets clipped straight in...10 min job max. 

Dave

By the way, considering the grief that people seem to be having trying to find stock, I'm a little surprised that Trains4U's eBay shop is still showing six Legionaires available at less than Dapol's shop price. (No connection, although I have bought from them in the past.)

Yes, I saw that. Does that stock actually exist?

Yes, I saw that. Does that stock actually exist?

Now that I can't answer.  I did get caught once (by a different seller) who just wanted to "borrow" my money for a while, but as Trains4U are a bricks and mortar shop I would hope they would be above that sort of thing.  I guess the way to find out would be for some of the people here who didn't get one against their pre-order to try and buy one!  I would, if I needed another...

Hi Paul,

The levelled track on TG is some way off yet but the mock up illustrated on my thread with P4 flexitrack placed on unlevelled cork and a loco which hasn't even got the bottom plate fitted on the bogies posed no problems at all. No derailments and no issues. P4 wheelsets clipped straight in...10 min job max. 

Dave

Thanks for that - that's reassuring.  Mulling over this again last night, I may go for moving the centre pivot and allowing the bogie to rest on the bearing pads,but leave it rigid.  Not sure how well that will work, but it'll be a first step!  The Ultrascale wheels are the correct scale diameter so hopefully the ride height will be unaffected by effectively moving the bogie up a smidgen.  Not that I've worked it out yet!

Cheers

Paul