Dapol 'Western'

Andy Y

....what are you disagreeing with ayrmrg? The fact that 3 users of this site have all had the same problem with the original wheels on these locos or that the Ultrascale P4 conversion cured the problem? 

Dave

Sorry!  Didn't realise I had touched the icon. I must have done it whilst scrolling. 

Stephen

Dropped into Trident Trains near Nantwich today (usual disclaimer, satisfied customer) - 4 x maroon Westerns there.

This is starting to turn into some sort of nationwide hunt. "Find The Western". Is there some sort of cash prize for finding one?

With regards to the wobbly Western wheels issue, so far I've turned down 6 sets of loco wheels on the Shenston Rd fleet, thats 72 wheels and so far I've come across 4 wheels that are not mounted square on the axle. I've not so far found an answer to this apart from redrilling and bushing the axle hole. As Greg had a spare 3 axles I've not had to resort to this as I've been able to swap wheels around to make one good axle out of 2 bad ones and use one of the spares to replace the bad one. If the wobbly wheels keep on turning up, and there does seem to be a bad batch of them doing the rounds, then I might have to resort to drilling and bushing. However if some of you guys who are converting to ultrascale wheelsets have any going spare they will find a good home under the Shenston Rd fleet.

Paul J.

With regards to the wobbly Western wheels issue, so far I've turned down 6 sets of loco wheels on the Shenston Rd fleet, thats 72 wheels and so far I've come across 4 wheels that are not mounted square on the axle. I've not so far found an answer to this apart from redrilling and bushing the axle hole. As Greg had a spare 3 axles I've not had to resort to this as I've been able to swap wheels around to make one good axle out of 2 bad ones and use one of the spares to replace the bad one. If the wobbly wheels keep on turning up, and there does seem to be a bad batch of them doing the rounds, then I might have to resort to drilling and bushing. However if some of you guys who are converting to ultrascale wheelsets have any going spare they will find a good home under the Shenston Rd fleet.

Paul J.

Why should you have to do all this with a loco costing around £130?

...I'm with you there...true wheelsets are fundamental to reliable running with all model railway rolling stock and yet they seem to be the first thing that gets overlooked. Many modellers become extremely frustrated because of running issues and struggle to work out where the issues are....stock or trackwork or both.  

Ultrascale will always be in business as long as model manufacturers and even some of the cheap & nasty model railway wheelset producers carry on as they are. 

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71

• RMweb Gold

This is starting to turn into some sort of nationwide hunt. "Find The Western". Is there some sort of cash prize for finding one?

Western Sultan (FYE) now on Rails website ....plus two Class 22 disc indicator versions. I'll waive my cash prize....

Edited by Ian Hargrave

Why should you have to do all this with a loco costing around £130?

I agree entirely. You should expect true running wheelsets at that price even if you are going to change or modify them. As jjnewit posted I've only been turning them down because clearences are very tight in EM and even 1mm less overall wheelset width makes all the difference. I've turned down a fair few wheelsets from different manufacturers over the past few months and none of them are imune from the odd "wobbly wheelset "syndrome but this has been the worst batch I've come across so far.

Paul J.

• RMweb Gold

Seems strange if there is limited production capacity to release the FYF in maroon pristine finish when it seems there is much more demand for maroon SYF and blue. SYF maroon is always going to be the big seller I would think.

Seems strange if there is limited production capacity to release the FYF in maroon pristine finish when it seems there is much more demand for maroon SYF and blue. SYF maroon is always going to be the big seller I would think.

Normally I would agree with you, but in this case the trade disagree with us both. :locomotive:  :jester:

cheers

Dave

• Like 1

I have a blue FYE (Venturer)  and recently managed to obtain one of the last maroon SYP (Legionaire). Today I decided to have a look at putting on (or in) the train indicators. Body off the blue one, fine. Body off the maroon one, and I find that the chassis' top plate has not been screwed down onto the chassis. The brass inserts are all there in the chassis, but the six screws are all missing. They're smaller diameter and length than the body fixing screws. Anyone else had these missing? 

I'm reluctant to take it back whence I bought it (what's he gonna do with it, there's none left for him to swap it with!), so Dave, is there any possibility these can be supplied, please?

(I've since checked DCC supplies website - they only list body fixing screws in their spares for the class 52, not the ones I refer to) 

Edited by Coppercap

Hi Coppercap,

No idea what happened to your model and you have my apologies.

Give DCC supplies a ring as some spares are 'off book' as it were and kept for such eventualities.

Let me know how you get on.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Maroon syp ordered and in the mail.  Kernow chromatic blue syp also ordered and advised by them as "on the high seas" meaning all four of their commissions will be represented here.  Thank goodness for "Birthday money" ;)

If any of the five I now have ordered have the colliewobbles or any other problem I probably know already what to do thanks to Dave's outstanding dedication to customer service and getting his models right.  

Numerous Hornby Westerns have already been withdrawn from the Penhayle Bay fleet.

Yep,  I saw that, think it sold for about £88, the seller had some iffy feedback although he'd previously sold another Dapol Western to a highly satisfied customer.

If he sold it for £88 then he made a big loss.  Time you add up the listing fee, the 10% (unless he was a trader with a discount) selling fee and the paypal fee then he probably ended up with no more than £76 for a loco that retails well over £100.  I gave up selling on Ebay, just too expensive to make it worth while.

I don't sell on there either for the same reason. Here's the link for anyone interested, but if you were to search completed listings you'd see more than a few surprises regarding Dapol Westerns, from the ridiculous to the sublime.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dapol-CLASS-52-WESTERN-BR-GREEN-D1038-WESTERN-SOVEREIGN-/230984937386?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item35c7c66faa&nma=true&si=5k87rbSZ%252BnloJyYmdFjte9UOnlg%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Yes I am still watching this thread and since the release and several trails I am still bemused as to why I have been let down and not able to get a Dapol western on dc running without derailing/shorting out and then stop running altogher so alas with no info and seeing for real that it has happened to others including a run in a shop I have had to give this otherwise and much awaited true looking western a miss.

Now seeing wobbly westerns and other reports of missing or broken screws/missing parts so much for quality control..

Sorry but I feel I have been badly let down on what was a much awaited model of the best looking loco of all time.

I shall just have drool on all the lucky ones and injoy the photos which seem few and far at the moment.

Mr angry.

Richard.

Awwww Richard,

2500 sold now and only 12 returned to DCC supplies, of which 9 were fixed totally.

Now there may be some 'in the system' somewhere, but in all honesty, I doubt it given the almost instant repair/replace.

Sorry mate but you made your mind up that you didn't want one as despite what I offered you still decided this wasn't good enough for you. I think your bordering on trolling now to be honest.

You don't like it, your tarring 2500 models with the same brush, and probably enjoying doing so or you wouldn't be here...........again!

There is nothing I can offer you that you either listen to or accept, I have failed and I'm sorry.

• Like 2

Guest oldlugger

Yep,  I saw that, think it sold for about £88, the seller had some iffy feedback although he'd previously sold another Dapol Western to a highly satisfied customer.

But he has a 100% feedback rating. How can any of it be "iffy", campaigner?

Simon