Hornby Magazine/Dapol Stove R .

Graham_Muz

How did it run ? Any problems ?

It ran pretty well, the only issue we had was one of mismatched couplings. It had the slim line couplings and was coupled to something with old style Hornby ones, but this is easily solved. On one of them we swapped the couplings for Kadees, this closed it up more to the particular rake it was used with and also ran pretty well. It would probably benefit from a little extra weight, but that said we only had an issue on the very worse of our board joints when it was the last vehicle in the rake. The lateral movement of the wheelsets works well and allows it run over complex pointwork without any problems at all.

Unfortunately we had to give them back at the end of Sunday.

Mark

It ran pretty well, the only issue we had was one of mismatched couplings. It had the slim line couplings and was coupled to something with old style Hornby ones, but this is easily solved. On one of them we swapped the couplings for Kadees, this closed it up more to the particular rake it was used with and also ran pretty well. It would probably benefit from a little extra weight, but that said we only had an issue on the very worse of our board joints when it was the last vehicle in the rake. The lateral movement of the wheelsets works well and allows it run over complex pointwork without any problems at all.

Unfortunately we had to give them back at the end of Sunday.

Mark

Hello Mark.

Cheers for that. Did you think the undersized wheels or misaligned brakes took away from the general look of the model ? While on a recent visit to the UK I saw one on the Hornby stand at the WYCRAIL exhibition & thought these faults took from the overall image of the model even though I was impressed with the body of the model. The model I saw was of course unpainted.

Looking at that picture two things strike me straiight away - one the horrible silver wheelsets which stand out like a sore thumb and the other is the ride height which looks low - either way for me not an issue as I'm having to convert it to EM anyway. Im sure other "jobs" will need doing as well judging by other comments from those who have actually had the model in their hands. Looking forward to mine arriving via the postie now, its still going to save me the job of kitbuilding one for my Red Bank set. The wheelsets are in stock and ready to be fitted - as for the rest of the work I will keep the thread posted!

• RMweb Gold

Looking at that picture two things strike me straiight away - one the horrible silver wheelsets which stand out like a sore thumb and the other is the ride height which looks low -

I am unable from here to qualify the ride height but please note that in the picture its is slightly higher than the loco (Bahmann crab) but lower than the first other vechile in the rake, which I can not remember what that was. So three differtn ride heights in that one picture!

I will measure the ride height when I get home tonight.

• RMweb Premium

I am unable from here to qualify the ride height but please note that in the picture its is slightly higher than the loco (Bahmann crab) but lower than the first other vechile in the rake, which I can not remember what that was. So three differtn ride heights in that one picture!

I will measure the ride height when I get home tonight.

Thanks Graham

Hopefully it will be 1mm lower than the prototype! Wouldn't that make life easier :lol:

Mind you wouldn't the ride heights of the prototypes vary according to the load they carried, spring wear and actual wheel diameter?

Mind you wouldn't the ride heights of the prototypes vary according to the load they carried, spring wear and actual wheel diameter?

Yes but 14mm wheels will already be representing well worn tyres. so you really wouldn't want it running high after fitting them.

There are some great pictures in the Russell book on GWR freight wagons and loads book showing what happens to leaf springs if you overload the wagon. The buffers end up too low at one end and too high at the other as a result and if it wasn't real it'd be a great posed shot!

Thanks Graham

Hopefully it will be 1mm lower than the prototype! Wouldn't that make life easier :lol:

I hope so as well!

Ride heights would vary but in 4mm I would expect the difference to be negligible given the traffic - I was going off the vehicle behind in the photo rather than the Crab - using the brick courses on the box behind as a guide it looks to be around one mil lower, maybe a bit more, but new wheels will cure that. Either that or using one of the Brassmasters Cleminson etches :)

Craig; i will admit to having that book despite the railway it depicts - Its a very useful reference source for waggon loads!

Looking at that picture two things strike me straiight away - one the horrible silver wheelsets which stand out like a sore thumb and the other is the ride height which looks low -

Shiney wheels spoil the appearance of most RTR. First job I do on new RTR stuff is to paint the wheels with a mix of khaki and rust.

Darren it has been mention maybe on the warley thread or i was told at Warley, that there was a Stove R Van on i think its the Ian Allen (think it was) stand which had the wheels changed to the bigger size, which was on display, sadly i never got round to that stand so i cant say i saw it. But apparently its possible, If i come across the comment again i'll post a link to it.

Different stock of a similar era, this picture shows what I always regarded a common mismatch in buffer heights when running in the mid 1960's.

Where was that taken out of interest? Nice post '64 box lettering on the BR brake. Mismatch in height is probably at the prototype limit there outside of industrial settings, loco needs some attention it seems (mind you by that time read scrapping!).

The earlier shot on Hinton Parva was a bit different as the buffers were much further off though as the loco was lower again I have no idea which was right there!

Darren it has been mention maybe on the warley thread or i was told at Warley, that there was a Stove R Van on i think its the Ian Allen (think it was) stand which had the wheels changed to the bigger size, which was on display, sadly i never got round to that stand so i cant say i saw it. But apparently its possible, If i come across the comment again i'll post a link to it.

'twas I, see post #209 on page 9 of this very thread.

• RMweb Gold

Where was that taken out of interest? Nice post '64 box lettering on the BR brake. Mismatch in height is probably at the prototype limit there outside of industrial settings, loco needs some attention it seems (mind you by that time read scrapping!).

Picture taken from Platform 6 at Snow Hill, train on the Up Main just north of Gt Charles St bridge, late '64 I think. Loco was from Stourbridge Junction and interestingly still had all of its plates. Many had started to lose them by then. Scrapped in autumn 1965.

Archived