RMweb

Hornby Magazine/Dapol Stove R .

Graham_Muz

Although I'm sure Hornby Magazine are happy to have additional publicity above can I please ask that you don't go round scanning pages from magazines and posting them on here. The publishers, Ian Allan, may not be as sympathetic and you could be making me liable.

I have edited the post so that it shows a link to where you have uploaded copyright material rather than displaying the image on here. I will caution you that the liability is now yours if you wish to leave it there.

• RMweb Gold

Some pics of what the Postie delivered yesterday (he didn't have another one in his bag today alas). This misrepresents the body colour as a bit lighter than it actually is but thinking about that a bit further I presume that it looks a bit on the dark side because of the scaling effect of applying it to a small area instead of, say, a whole Mk1 coach side.

post-6859-016063900 1292681889_thumb.jpg

post-6859-086477600 1292681928_thumb.jpg

post-6859-002570900 1292681947_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Found mine hanging on the door knob today (in driving blizzard!). Very pleased with the model, same as above picture, looks good in a rake of vans, buffer height fine. When I put it in the rake next to the Hornby SR van C the wheel size difference was noticeable, however that said I do not know what size the SR vans wheels are meant to be, IMHO Honby Mag have made a big mistake with their positioning of brake shoes which I will address at some time, especially when compared with a van where the blocks are in line. That criticism alone I think it is a superb model it will look very good in a parcels train.

My postie didn't manage to get up my road today :( I hope I have one coming. I didn't order a specific number, just told them which livery and they could give me either one.

IIRC, they positioned them there to assist those who model EM/P4. Why shouldn't those that use those scales be allowed some assistance with such a model for a change?

Well, as an occasional EM dabbler, here's a thought. EM and certainly P4 modellers will very probably want to change the wheels and possibly make other improvements to the running gear, which would make changing the brakeshoes as well pretty incidental IMHO. In fact I think this very thread contains a few ideas in that directionsmile.gif

The sentiment's not such a bad one, but this particular model probably isnt the best application for it.

IIRC, they positioned them there to assist those who model EM/P4. Why shouldn't those that use those scales be allowed some assistance with such a model for a change?

As Mick says (and i've said a few times before early in the thread!) the brake shoes are completely off for P4 too and don't look like the prototype ones anyway!

• RMweb Gold

Spotted a photo the other day one at Clapham Jn in 1974 (if the caption was correct) still in Crimson, which widens out the periods of the liveries somewhat.

All the photographic evidence suggests the parcels fleet was a Cinderella in terms of care for its appearance. By 1974 there was actually an Executive Director, Parcels at BRB HQ, which suggests that even in that pre-Sector era a business plan was in place. However, the fact that the customer didn't really see his/her train meant image was still a low priority. Thus repainting the fleet into buzzy new colours didn't happen. While 1974 does seem a trifle late for other-than-blue (although crimson rather than maroon seems a bit of a stretch) it would not really jar in a model. But do make sure it's grubby!

Hi All

I have the BR crimson one on order since they where announced, but have heard anything back about it?

Are they being sent out yet? And is their a phone number that I can call to find out what has happened to my order?

All the best

Darren

Hi,

Copied from the Hornby Magazine Facebook Page:

[Due to unforeseen circumstances and delays at customs deliveries of the Hornby Magazine/Dapol LMS Stove R passenger brake are behind the planned schedule with the LMS, BR crimson and BR blue version now expected in the early New Year.

However, customers ordering the BR maroon liveried versi...on, HM004a and HM004b, should – Christmas post withstanding – receive their model by the end of December with the first half of the order being despatched during the week of December 13 and the remaining stock due to arrive at Dapol’s headquarters during this week.

The BR crimson versions, HM003a and HM003b, have now been passed for production following a long process of colour matching to ensure the correct shade is applied to the model. The LMS versions are expected to be the first to arrive in the New Year followed by the crimson models and finally, due to issues correctly matching the body colour, the BR blue version.

Hornby Magazine Editor Mike Wild said: “We are disappointed that we haven’t been able to fulfil a greater number of orders to date and we are doing everything we can to push the production process forward as quickly as possible but without affect standards of quality.â€

As more information becomes available it will be published in Hornby Magazine and on the Hornby Magazine website at www.hornbymagazine.com

Customers wishing to discuss their order should contact the Ian Allan Publishing Mail Order Department on 01932 266622.

Hope This helps

Simon

• RMweb Premium

I know a lot has been said about the 12mm wheels but has anyone who has received theirs had a chance to run the van? Well today I ran mine on my end to end and it would not go more than a short distance before derailing. My track is pretty flat and I have absolutely no problems with any of my stock derailing, sadly the pivoted ends ride up and wander off track, I noticed the centre wheels are set too low causing a see-saw effect which allows the end wheels to lift off the track, the wheels are stiff in their axle boxes and the wheel flanges appear to be very shallow. I hope it is just my van and a few adjustments will improve matters, the answer may be to put 14mm wheels on the outside and leave the 12mm on the centre to stop the see-saw effect, also need to address the stiff axle boxes, perhaps put some brass bearings in when I put the 14mm wheels on. I must say the relative buffer height pales into insignificance if the van does not stay on the rails. If all else fails there is the Didcot option (see previous picture of grounded R).I have to say straight from the box I am completely underwhelmed by the running qualities of this van, as i said I hope it is just mine but regardless I am pretty disappointed.

Mine arrived this morning. Opened the box and something dropped out. After a look at the carriage, I discovered that it was a buffer. Picked up offending item, fortunately the spring had remained in the box.

A number of modellers have already commented on the fact that Dapol have reversed common wisdom and made the centre axle 'solid' and the outer ones floating, the reverse of what is normally done.

The outers pivot and the centre is floating. That is the normal way, isn't it ?

If I get the derailing issues others have found, I think I will fix the end axles. Anyway, off to give a pint now, will try it when I get back.

And......

Has anyone yet done a 14mm conversion. How do you get the thing apart to get at the centre axle ?

A number of modellers have already commented on the fact that Dapol have reversed common wisdom and made the centre axle 'solid' and the outer ones floating, the reverse of what is normally done.

Hi Coachman,

just to clarify, the StoveR in OO has a floating centre axle and both outers are on a pivot bogie type arrangement.

hope this helps

cheers

Dave

Dapol Ltd

Hi Coachmann (sorry about the dropped 'n' on my last posting of your name)

it wont be long now.

I know that the complete batch is basically ready for shipping by airfreight, but i think the weather and the Chirstmas hioliday may mess things up a bit. (7 days for a UPS package from Cologne arrived today):O

cheers

Dave

Dapol Ltd

Just given mine a run. Derailed on a crossover which has the slightest of rises in the middle. Not had a problem with any other stuff here. I think the problem lies with there being no vertical float with the centre axle. This is something I will address when I change the wheels. Another problem I have found, and to be honest I was expecting, is that it fouls my platforms with the steps. I have built my platforms according to this

bridgeplatformdimension.jpg

and I find that my Fruit D and my son's pocket wagon and megafrets all foul dimension B. Not had this problem with any other rolling stock. Sorting the Fruit D was easy, with the flexible type plastic used on the Stove it maybe a little more difficult, but not impossible. Looking at LMS drawings the lower steps should be more tucked in.

Apart from these issues, a welcome addition to my parcels stock.

• RMweb Gold

My second maroon one arrived this afternoon so it looks as if they are coming at weekly intervals (until Christmas intervenes?). Incidentally they are being delivered with Letter Mail so are presumably not being left at houses if there is no one in or nowhere safe to leave them.

Exactly the same as the first apart from the running number so no point in adding a pic this time.

Archived