Hornby Magazine/Dapol Stove R .

Graham_Muz

• RMweb Gold

The pre-prod sample looked very good at Wycrail and ran very well round Bay St II. It is difficult to get onto the track as the middle wheel end float makes it tricky to align. Good weight to it, nice detailing.

Can't really comment much further as coaching stock ain't my thing, but to my eyes it looked a nice little coach. I'd love to justify one for Summat, but even with a very broad application of modeller's licence one would not be seen at a colliery :lol:

Let's not forget that Coachmann had to modify the Comet chassis to get his choice of 14mm wheels in too - space must be tight.

• RMweb Gold

Used in the same way as the bogie brakes so parcels/luggage van in some passenger rakes. 6-wheel versions seemed popular with both the LMS and LNER. They were often used for the guard on passenger speed milk trains though.

Gotcha, thanks, sort of like the North Norfolk Railway use a similar van for prams and pushchairs etc on their services today.

Unlikely to have been seen at a colliery then ...... :lol:

Let's not forget that Coachmann had to modify the Comet chassis to get his choice of 14mm wheels in too - space must be tight.

That was just bad product design having the w-irons proud of the correct floor level. He fixed it by removing the space under the wheel flange which is exactly what could have been done in the RTR design.

No I don't think you can justify many parcels trains in a Colliery though i'll be running one past one when I build it ;).

Was talking to the Dept at Hornby mag to-day that is dealing with taking orders for the Stove R and was informed that the BR Maroon version (model code 4) are expected any day and that they expect to be debiting cards by the end of the week. They are hoping to have this version at Warley this weekend.

So the wait is nearly over. Was also told that they are selling extremly well.

Wonder when the first one will appear on e-bay.

Hi,

Anyone wanting to see one of these vans running for the first time. There will be 2 running on High Wycombe & District Model Railway Society's "Hinton Parva" layout at Warley this weekend (Stand D30)

Come and see them in Action!

Simon

Here's a shot of one on the Dapol stand at Warley yesterday. I handled on on the Hornby Magazine (ian Allan) stand and the kind lady there showed me one which had 14mm wheels fitted so it is possible. We just need to know what that does to the ride height and whether that can be sorted to some extent by fixing the floating end axleguards.

post-7238-072471300 1290347381_thumb.jpg

Some arrived last week, some are expected next week and some the following week.

It looks like the brake blocks will have to go though, they appear to be in line with the axleguards rather than the wheels (hardly 'state of the art').

The main lining on the LMS example in LMS Coaches Jenkinson/Essery goes through the door handles and the lining above the windows goes through the door vents. Not sure if that ever changed, Coachman would be the chap for that but is this a preproduction example?

The moulding change that really needed doing was adding the bottom door hinge to the guards compartment on the one side. It was missing on the photos at the beginning of the thread.

I handled on on the Hornby Magazine (ian Allan) stand and the kind lady there showed me one which had 14mm wheels fitted so it is possible. We just need to know what that does to the ride height and whether that can be sorted to some extent by fixing the floating end axleguards.

Thanks Richard, that does at least go some way to helping decide a course of action.

• RMweb Premium

I picked one up and inspected it closely, It looks possible to change the wheels, the 12mm do look far too small, as for the brake blocks I think there is scope to alter them if one wants to, those issues aside the Stove looks the business

• RMweb Gold

The main lining on the LMS example in LMS Coaches Jenkinson/Essery goes through the door handles and the lining above the windows goes through the door vents. Not sure if that ever changed, Coachman would be the chap for that but is this a preproduction example?

There were an awful lot of those in 'window' style boxes which suggests it is the production version. I too am a bit wary of the lining but don't know enough about the way the LMS did such things. As I said in my comments on the exhibition the BR 'plain carmine' version is wrong and apparently is going back for rectification - the lettering is white (someone in Dapol or their subbies has a knack of getting that wrong, even after it's been pointed out to themangry.gif).

• RMweb Gold

Talking to one of the guys on the stand - all 3 versions will be available to buy in around 10 days

What about the 4th version? No one i spoke to seemed to have much idea about that except 'soon' and as far as the others (except the LMS one) are concerned there are livery errors to correct - I didn't look too closely but the lady said something about the blue being the wrong shade as well.

What i do find encouraging is the effort being put in by Hornby Magazine to get things as right as possible before delivery, not quite so encouraging is the fact that they are having to do so.

... as far as the others (except the LMS one) are concerned there are livery errors to correct - I didn't look too closely but the lady said something about the blue being the wrong shade as well.

If the blue one has bloody double arrows on it, I will scream wink.gif

• RMweb Gold

If the blue one has bloody double arrows on it, I will scream wink.gif

Well it might be my eyes and it was only a quick glance at the modernistic variant but I saw no arrows, double or single, and the writing was bottom right hand corner (only) in white so I think your lungs are safe (for the time being)laugh.gif

Also had a look at them at Warley. I agree that the brake blocks need moving, possibly a bit more involved on the centre axle. I may remove these completely. If 14mm wheels can be fitted, I will probably do this as well. To my untrained eye it did look good apart from these things. I only saw the ones on Hinton Parva from a distance so could not see the ride height, but I am sure as it is only 1mm it shouldn't cause me to loose much sleep over adjustments.

I looked at it for some time at Warley including the one with 14mm wheels (which needed the top of the W iron carriers thinning for clearence).

My personal comments and opinions are as follows:

1. Roof torpedo vents are fitted parallel to rails in a flat plane, not parallel with roof (therefore one cone is practically touching the roof, the other far from it). They are also quite crude fittings. This gives a strange appearance. As built they had Shell vents rather than Torpedo vents.

2. Brakes are horrible with no cross rigging and completely in the wrong plane

3. Corridor connections have nice gallows hangers

4. Underframe detail generally was poor and 'chunky'

5. Body side bottom Tumbleholme was quite shallow, not as I remember Stanier stock

6. W irons are in pivoting carriers, these are visible below the solebar (see photo above)

7. Axlebox covers did not appear the correct pattern to me

Overall I was dissapointed and thought the overall standard (especially detail chassis fittings) was well below that of the Hornby Stanier stock

Tony

1. Roof torpedo vents are fitted parallel to rails in a flat plane, not parallel with roof (therefore one cone is practically touching the roof, the other far from it). They are also quite crude fittings. This gives a strange appearance. As built they had Shell vents rather than Torpedo vents.

I'm sure the later diagram did have different vents fitted to the early one but I certainly agree the model vents don't look good.

Overall I was dissapointed and thought the overall standard (especially detail chassis fittings) was well below that of the Hornby Stanier stock

Tony

I picked up a Hornby Stanier full brake earlier I have in LMS livery and its pretty much spot on lining wise and also the size of 'LMS' for how the Stove R is shown in the build photograph in the book I mentioned earlier.

• RMweb Gold

Here's a picture of one running on Hinton Parva at Warley this weekend.

post-7152-040147000 1290535789_thumb.jpg

We managed to "borrow" some from Hornby Magazine to run in our parcels rakes.

Whatever the fidelity issues, you cannot tell me those won't sell out. The 95% of us who don't know won't worry, either.

Archived