Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

EBay madness

Marcyg

28 minutes ago, 'CHARD said:

What's the cat no.? 

R.20 according to The Tri-ang Hornby Book Of Trains.  🙃

Edited by Hroth
Getting it right...
  • Like 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Hroth said:

Not the very first, the Princess has plunger pickups not the very first roller pickups, so not as desirable. 

The original M&S* Rovex set's stock had a simpler hook & loop type of coupling as well IIRC, whereas this set has the earliest form of tension-lock automatic. 

*'Loving tooled from chemical extrusions and designed by experts to go all bendy as soon as daylight gets anywhere near them, these are not just bananas; these are LMS plastic M&S bananas'...

Edited by The Johnster
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Kellino Rail said:

Not something you see everyday - 30 of the same Hornby class 86 in one lot.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/335351522679

Cost of postage is 7.95 pounds, sounds cheap. Spring needs pushing back in 3 locos? If it's that simple just do it, BEFORE listing!

Although why all in 1 lot, beats me!

• Agree 4

2 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

Cost of postage is 7.95 pounds, sounds cheap. Spring needs pushing back in 3 locos? If it's that simple just do it, BEFORE listing!

Although why all in 1 lot, beats me!

Agreed, and £41.67 for each model at the starting price (£58.33 each at the buy it now), plus postage, when you can pick them up individually for about £30 won't even interest the dealers...

• Agree 2

33 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

The original M&S* Rovex set's stock had a simpler hook & loop type of coupling as well IIRC, whereas this set has the earliest form of tension-lock automatic. 

Those were called Mk 2 couplings.  So Mk. 1 was presumably the original Rovex ones

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kellino Rail said:

Not something you see everyday - 30 of the same Hornby class 86 in one lot.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/335351522679

Who would want or need 30 of the same locomotive? Perhaps a failed project to model the WCML, and, they were to be renumbered? Whoever originally purchased them did so from at least 3 different shops. I feel there should be more in the description as to where they came from and why, but, obviously the seller doesn't have to say. They definitely have an interesting background.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, The Johnster said:

*'Loving tooled from chemical extrusions and designed by experts to go all bendy as soon as daylight gets anywhere near them, these are not just bananas; these are LMS plastic M&S bananas'...

1 hour ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Those were called Mk 2 couplings.  So Mk. 1 was presumably the original Rovex ones

Rovex Coupling

Triang Couplings

The first Triang couplings were the Mk2(a) which had a plain drop arm, the later Triang coupling, the Mk2b had the "skid" on the drop arm, apparently to add weight and give more positivity to the hook.  The familiar tension lock Mk3 was introduced in 1957 with, I believe, the TT system and then transferred to OO.

The loco tender has a hook coupling, while the coaches have Mk2b couplings.  It looks like someone has found a box with a loco and tender and has added a couple of later coaches to make the lot a bit more attractive!

The lack of track is probably because the original "Universal" track is incompatible with the later "Standard" track and including Standard track would certainly stick out like a sore thumb!

Rovex Universal track

Triang Standard track

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

According to the Internet:

"In October 1986, Hornby Group plc was floated on the Unlisted Securities Market and became a public company."

Edited by MattR
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, MattR said:

According to the Internet:

"In October 1986, Hornby Group plc was floated on the Unlisted Securities Market and became a public company."

That is along the lines of my suspicions... although there is a slight discrepancy in the dates. Thanks for the info.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PieGuyRob said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/235489569040?

Makes you wonder what this is for, unless I have missed something?

Did Heljan do a 37?

I suspect that it is for a Vi Trains version - that needed much fiddling and painting for buffer furniture. The "snow ploughs" are some of the yellow bits - no idea what the sprue of little yellow ones are for.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

5 hours ago, Bill Radford said:

Did Heljan do a 37?

I suspect that it is for a Vi Trains version - that needed much fiddling and painting for buffer furniture. The "snow ploughs" are some of the yellow bits - no idea what the sprue of little yellow ones are for.

As far as I'm aware Heljan only do an 0 gauge 37. So it is quite possibly a Vi-Trains one as stated above.

• Like 1