EBay madness

Marcyg

1 hour ago, goldfish said:

What better way to start the day, than with an over the top AI description and an over exited seller : - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/335322814448?

I always thought FLAWLESS meant without flaws. Don't paint chips count as flaws?

"Its clockwork control system has been overhauled and two-rail system add to its charm." It does??

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 6

2 hours ago, goldfish said:

What better way to start the day, than with an over the top AI description and an over exited seller : - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/335322814448?

I always thought FLAWLESS meant without flaws. Don't paint chips count as flaws?

The descriptions isn't all AI-generated.  He's written a bit himself ...

"I DINT OFTEN SING FROM THE ROOF TOP BUT THIS IS AN ABSOLUTELY GREAT LOCOMOTIVE"

I'm not convinced "artificial intelligence" is any worse than the real thing!

• Agree 3
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Sjcm said:

I like how the paint is like "a car found in a barn".  Minus marks for not mentioning patina

Generally "a car found in a barn" doesn't have much paint visible in my experience!

DSC00002.JPG.3fcaf1e3e14df1da21b4758bc25211c1.JPG

Edited by Bucoops
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 3

I dip in and out of this thread mainly to cheer up. Looks like a barn find to me, but then what do I know (not much!!) Dry dust rather than grime that outside items grow

Saab's not been made for years, a collectors item

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, hayfield said:

I dip in and out of this thread mainly to cheer up. Looks like a barn find to me, but then what do I know (not much!!) Dry dust rather than grime that outside items grow

Saab's not been made for years, a collectors item

It looked a lot better after a wash - but it also made the rust VERY visible! It's currently in a queue for restoration down in Bristol.

DSC00200.JPG.f1dd3a05eca92d00d4252b87cd3df00d.JPG

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, goldfish said:

They sure do, also the discolouration on the rods and waggly bits.

Inside the cab is a transfer saying it's a 501 type. I'm no expert on  Hornby 0 gauge but I do own the ''Bible'' on the system by C and J Graebe. A quick look on page 119 reveals that Hornby called this clockwork version 501 ''after the war'' also it wasn't in the catalogue until September 1948. Not 1928 as claimed then is it. Just saying like.

Regards Rich.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, Bucoops said:

It looked a lot better after a wash - but it also made the rust VERY visible! It's currently in a queue for restoration down in Bristol.

DSC00200.JPG.f1dd3a05eca92d00d4252b87cd3df00d.JPG

I have both owned and driven worse back in the late 70's and 80's

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
On 01/04/2024 at 16:47, Hroth said:

So, if the trailing wheels of the bogie have "vanished", the question is WHY?

Mazak rot, perchance?

Nicked overnight when parked up outside the house 

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, hayfield said:

I have both owned and driven worse back in the late 70's and 80's

Likewise in the 90s (my first two cars were Allegros!).

I did get it patched up and MOT'd for a few years - even took it round Bruntingthorpe Aerodrome (where I span it braking from about 110 in torrential rain and hit a drain cover which made the brakes somewhat out of balance 😁). I say about 110, the clock only goes up to 120 and it was way past that but as we know, the accuracy of 1970s speedos is debatable!

rc03usd-9.jpg.e49652caed6b4656ecf18625d55ca350.jpg

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
On 02/04/2024 at 15:47, Michael Hodgson said:

... but it is easy to pour a load of glue all over it

Could use sellotape.... as used to repair glasses... aka Jack Duckworth

Episode_3003.jpg.824a17990cccb554d4929e79b063e236.jpg

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, Bucoops said:

Likewise in the 90s (my first two cars were Allegros!).

I did get it patched up and MOT'd for a few years - even took it round Bruntingthorpe Aerodrome (where I span it braking from about 110 in torrential rain and hit a drain cover which made the brakes somewhat out of balance 😁). I say about 110, the clock only goes up to 120 and it was way past that but as we know, the accuracy of 1970s speedos is debatable!

rc03usd-9.jpg.e49652caed6b4656ecf18625d55ca350.jpg

Batmobile!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

9 hours ago, Bucoops said:

Generally "a car found in a barn" doesn't have much paint visible in my experience!

DSC00002.JPG.3fcaf1e3e14df1da21b4758bc25211c1.JPG

Back in the late 1980s, the Head of the School of Music at my College drove one of those - but an orangey yellow shade, difficult to describe.

He said he owed Saab his life - involved in a head-on collision with an articulated lorry on the A1 … his car ended up in the tractor unit … lorry driver didn’t survive, fire crew cut him out with a few scratches and told him that if he had been driving any other car …

Accepted a lift up the College drive from him once … closest I have ever been to experiencing the type of G force acceleration more typically experienced by fighter pilots in jets!! I’d barely got my seatbelt on when I was taking it off again! 

Only found out on Sunday that Saab have long driven off into the history books…

Steve S

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Back in the late 1980s, the Head of the School of Music at my College drove one of those - but an orangey yellow shade, difficult to describe.

He said he owed Saab his life - involved in a head-on collision with an articulated lorry on the A1 … his car ended up in the tractor unit … lorry driver didn’t survive, fire crew cut him out with a few scratches and told him that if he had been driving any other car …

Accepted a lift up the College drive from him once … closest I have ever been to experiencing the type of G force acceleration more typically experienced by fighter pilots in jets!! I’d barely got my seatbelt on when I was taking it off again! 

Only found out on Sunday that Saab have long driven off into the history books…

Steve S

Well SAAB's main business was fighter jets.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saab_37_Viggen

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2