EBay madness

Marcyg

Not identical, the extra £20 gets you a box for the van.

:boast:

Keith

And no overpainting in black, which rather spoils the item's collectibility. I'm not sure how authentic the overpainting is anyway - I doubt any of these cranes got repainted red (the livery choice surprised me at the time (around 1960) - all the cranes I saw were black.)

Edited by Il Grifone

• RMweb Gold

And no overpainting in black, which rather spoils the item's collectibility. I'm not sure how authentic the overpainting is anyway - I doubt any of these cranes got repainted red (the livery choice surprised me at the time (around 1960) - all the cranes I saw were black.)

The cranes - or some of them - and their match trucks & relieving bogies were definitely painted red in service, although not all over.

The cranes - or some of them - and their match trucks & relieving bogies were definitely painted red in service, although not all over.

Nice to know! Thanks. The all over red is probably a sign of Dublo feeling the pinch from Tri-ang. I assume the frames would be black?

While I am thinking of cranes.....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Abandoned-00-GAUGE-mobile-crane-heavily-rusted-and-weathered-/291238576064?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item43cf2bffc0

An-uplifting experience! ;)

An interesting use of an old Tri-ang Transcontinental TPO Car!

Even the crane is a Tri-ang product....!

EDIT...

I have had a look at the other items....GBL have a good customer here! ;)

Now weren't these coaches made of wood?....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Abandoned-00-GAUGE-coach-heavily-rusted-and-weathered-/291238885128?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item43cf30b708

Edited by Sarahagain

• RMweb Gold

Nice to know! Thanks. The all over red is probably a sign of Dublo feeling the pinch from Tri-ang. I assume the frames would be black?

The frames on the cranes (and I think the bogies) were red - in fact the Dublo colour was fairly accurate, possibly slightly pale, and overall it wasn't a bad model but there were the 'operating' bits which were rather out of scale.

• Like 1

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Abandoned-00-GAUGE-mobile-crane-heavily-rusted-and-weathered-/291238576064?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item43cf2bffc0

EDIT...

I have had a look at the other items....GBL have a good customer here! ;)

Now weren't these coaches made of wood?....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Abandoned-00-GAUGE-coach-heavily-rusted-and-weathered-/291238885128?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item43cf30b708

From the same seller - a streamlined Duchess in scrapyard condition - this guy obviously knows his stuff - must be one of the many that were never de streamlined !!!

Unfortunately he advises that it is a static model (great shame) - however it has been hand painted by a 'professional artist (obviously one going through his 'surrealist' period) and it has been thoroughly  lacquered (note how that rhymes with knackered).

More good news is that it will be sent securely wrapped in bubble wrap ( that will at least give the purchaser something to sit and play with when he realises what he has just blown his hard earned £17.99 plus postage on!) 

_H080007_zps01f75777.jpg

Edited by Bodmin Bob

• RMweb Premium

I've always wondered what happens to all the cr*p, sorry special items, that seemed to dragged around to various swapmeets, 2nd hand stalls etc. Now I know, they get a tin of rust coloured paint poured over them.

• Like 1

I don't know about the frames being black, though they may get a bit grubby. I think the cranes were pretty well looked after, and didn't travel too many miles either.

I do know that the HD Cranes were introduced in 1959 (at the same time as the 2-Rail system), and Red was the "up-to-the-minute" colour scheme. I seem to recall that at least one Model Railway Magazine Review questioned the colour at the time, only to find out that they were wrong, and HD were right. (Bachmann seems to have the same "problem" sometimes...;) )

I think that 1959 was a bit of a turning point for Hornby Dublo (Meccano Ltd.). The 2-Rail introduction, alongside the 3-Rail system would turn out to be a bit an error of judgement, as it entailed two complete systems to be manufactured, stored, and stocked by retail outlets. Within 4 years it was all over.....

This scares me!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/21C170-Battle-of-Britain-Class-Manston-Southern-Region-Spares-or-Repair-/331312936223?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item4d23ca351f

I am a particular fan of 34070 'Manston', and I can't hep but feel this dishonors the name

1) The tender type doesn't even come close to a Bulleid
2) The Terminology used in the description is more than questionable! Cab referred to as Cabin, Loco number referred to as Serial Number, it's 'Air smoothed casing' not 'Streamlining' and 'Cylinder' not 'Piston Box'

3) The name plate transfers are far from straight
4) The lack of research into what it could be is appalling! They even state the Reference number of the tender, did they not think to search it and see what they could find out about that? At least then they would've realised the tender was from the wrong engine!

This scares me!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/21C170-Battle-of-Britain-Class-Manston-Southern-Region-Spares-or-Repair-/331312936223?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item4d23ca351f

I am a particular fan of 34070 'Manston', and I can't hep but feel this dishonors the name

1) The tender type doesn't even come close to a Bulleid

2) The Terminology used in the description is more than questionable! Cab referred to as Cabin, Loco number referred to as Serial Number, it's 'Air smoothed casing' not 'Streamlining' and 'Cylinder' not 'Piston Box'

3) The name plate transfers are far from straight

4) The lack of research into what it could be is appalling! They even state the Reference number of the tender, did they not think to search it and see what they could find out about that? At least then they would've realised the tender was from the wrong engine!

I agree....

The locomotive body is a plastic kit, made over the years by a few companies, Kitmaster, Airfix, and presently by Dapol. (A pity the modeller didn't use the kit tender top as well...)

Given the transfers, it is possible that this was a Dapol kit, as they have produced various names/numbers, etc. Kitmaster and Airfix only supplied Biggin Hill...

The locomotive chassis, complete with motor, driving wheels, rods, cylinders, front bogie and rear trailing truck is from a Tri-ang Railways R.50 "Princess Victoria", and dates from 1961 or 1962 (The distinctive driving wheels were only used on these models.)

So, the wheels are all wrong, even given that the driving wheels are the solid sintered iron type, but with spokes! (Bulleid-Stanier Type? ;) )

The simplified rods, without the valve gear, are also typical, R.50. A bit like a Bulleid...but the slide bars and cross head are wrong...

The tender is also from a Tri-ang Railways "Princess", most probably from the same locomotive.

Pure Stanier, but painted green!

At least someone has tried a bit of modelling!

The photos have a legal background as well...;)

Edited by Sarahagain

He's also has a 'vintage Stylophone' and he's not far from the Thames.........I wonder ?

• RMweb Gold

He's also has a 'vintage Stylophone' and he's not far from the Thames.........I wonder ?

Unfortunately Stylophones were advertised on the box art and on TV by......  don't click on the link if you are offended by the sight of convicted se# offenders

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rolf-Harris-Stylophone-Working-Original-instructions-and-music-book-/261592771284?pt=UK_Collectables_Vintage_RL&hash=item3ce824ead4

• RMweb Premium

I think that 1959 was a bit of a turning point for Hornby Dublo (Meccano Ltd.). The 2-Rail introduction, alongside the 3-Rail system would turn out to be a bit an error of judgement, as it entailed two complete systems to be manufactured, stored, and stocked by retail outlets. Within 4 years it was all over.....

Doesn't the modern retailer have the same trouble, with all the limited editions etc, not to mention Hornby with their normal range & Railroad range? I do hope the conclusion isn't the same for the current Hornby company.

I don't know about the frames being black, though they may get a bit grubby. I think the cranes were pretty well looked after, and didn't travel too many miles either.

I do know that the HD Cranes were introduced in 1959 (at the same time as the 2-Rail system), and Red was the "up-to-the-minute" colour scheme. I seem to recall that at least one Model Railway Magazine Review questioned the colour at the time, only to find out that they were wrong, and HD were right. (Bachmann seems to have the same "problem" sometimes... ;) )

IMHO there were numerous reasons for the demise of Meccano Ltd (not all of their own making) the late introduction of 2 rail being one of them. Price is often quoted, but Dublo was not that more expensive than Tri-ang (and cheaper than its other competitors). According to an advertisement I've found from 1954, the track was actually cheaper.

Fartmel is at it again!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-EXLEY-00-MODEL-No-K5-GWR-No-229-PARCEL-TRAIN-BRAKE-VAN-MEGA-RARE-/301304710368?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item46272904e0

Described as:- VINTAGE EXLEY (00) MODEL No.K5/ GWR No.229 PARCEL TRAIN BRAKE VAN "MEGA RARE"

And the description says:

YOU ARE BUYING A "RARE" & "HIGHLY ATTRACTIVE" EXLEY MODEL

Why are the words "rare" and "highly attractive" surrounded by speech marks? This is normally a piss-taking way of implying that it actually means the opposite, but why would anyone do that on their own item description? :scratchhead:

(and actually, no I'm not buying it! This 'You are buying..." way of stating a description seems to be liked by tat sellers nearly as much as "rare", "mega rare" and, of course, "kit built"!

Edited by 43300

And the description says:

YOU ARE BUYING A "RARE" & "HIGHLY ATTRACTIVE" EXLEY MODEL

Why are the words "rare" and "highly attractive" surrounded by speech marks? This is normally a piss-taking way of implying that it actually means the opposite, but why would anyone do that on their own item description? :scratchhead:

Theory: They realise it's aweful, and are using the quotations as a way of warning those with enough knowledge to avoid. While hoping someone careless overlooks them, and buys it to get it off their hands.

From the same seller - a streamlined Duchess in scrapyard condition - this guy obviously knows his stuff - must be one of the many that were never de streamlined !!!

Unfortunately he advises that it is a static model (great shame) - however it has been hand painted by a 'professional artist (obviously one going through his 'surrealist' period) and it has been thoroughly  lacquered (note how that rhymes with knackered).

More good news is that it will be sent securely wrapped in bubble wrap ( that will at least give the purchaser something to sit and play with when he realises what he has just blown his hard earned £17.99 plus postage on!) 

_H080007_zps01f75777.jpg

They would not have allowed a 'Jelly Mould' to get into this condition!!!!!!!