EBay madness

Marcyg

In fact to be pedantic and use real railway terminology the thing would not be a 'double slip' anyway, and neither are the other four - they are 'double compounds'.

What 'Grifone' describes is a 'double slip' (or single of course)

- where the 'slip roads' are completely outside the 'diamond' or 'K crossing'.

Interesting, thanks.

• RMweb Gold

Apologies, there was me thinking this was one of the silly threads...

Aye.

Any time spent in this thread was already wasted before this guy showed up :jester:

In the spirit of pedantry he's actually Mr Jester not Mr Joker.

Quote: "the price has to reflect the cost of 4 double slips and 5 hours of intricate  work."

What, 5 hours to slide a few rails into fishplates?

Quote: "the price has to reflect the cost of 4 double slips and 5 hours of intricate  work."

What, 5 hours to slide a few rails into fishplates?

I think if you study the photos you will see that a lot of work has gone into this .... it is certainly not just a case of simply sliding fishplates on and if he says he took 5 hours then I am prepared to believe him. I have taken the trouble to look at his ebay history and he seems an honest trader selling  a quality product to those who have neither the skill, the time or the inclination to do it themselves.

I think if you study the photos you will see that a lot of work has gone into this .... it is certainly not just a case of simply sliding fishplates on and if he says he took 5 hours then I am prepared to believe him. I have taken the trouble to look at his ebay history and he seems an honest trader selling  a quality product to those who have neither the skill, the time or the inclination to do it themselves.

Quite.

For what he is offering it is very cheap.

(Allowing for a reasonable rate per hour I might add before the usual mob jump on me).

I don't think any of the posters are calling it a rip off.

To me it is simply a question of ..........why?

Bernard

Quite.

(Allowing for a reasonable rate per hour I might add before the usual mob jump on me).

Bernard

Hi Bernard,

Must agree with your point of view on the price, especially as has been pointed out the complex is by no means a simple fitting together of RTR items but required careful measuring and cutting.

I do agree too that its hard to see 'why' it was done - its a bit difficult to see just how one might use such a complex within a layout.

The seller's history does not suggest anything untowards but I cant help wondering if he would be better putting his obvious talents to better use by producing rather more usefull formations - i'm pretty sure he will find a ready market for those talents.

Regards

Edited by TheWeatheringMan

Quite.

Bernard

Apologies - I should have been clearer ... someone was suggesting that all the guy had done was slide fishplates on .... thereby questioning the seller's statement that he had spent 5 hours on it.... my only point really was that there had been a lot of work done ..... whether it's good value is a more subjective point but there has been a substatntial amount of 'added value'

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA

I note the poster also has a couple of scissors xings with DS' only on one end. Interestingly one is UKP 120 and one UKP100.

lasubway.jpg

Here's the prototype for that. (Pacific Electric of course :sungum: )

Andy

Edited by Andy Reichert

its a bit difficult to see just how one might use such a complex within a layout.

Funnily enough its functionality is not too dissimilar to what I needed for the station throat in my layout, although for compactness I dispensed with two of the slips in favour of putting the required points in the main running lines:

LoftRailway8.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Such formations are not unknown on continental railways, particularly at major stations. I've seen such a thing from the end of the platform at Bremen. Double compounds (slips) are frequently used in 'ladder' formation at either end of such platforms to allow any movement to any platform IIRC there are two such formations at Winterthur in Switzerland.

How about one of these! A triple scissors combination snapped at Utrecht in The Netherlands. On the list to build one sometime!

post-6728-0-04103200-1422900345.jpg

post-6728-0-29693700-1422900474.jpg

• Like 4

Did not know that the GWR ran in France, well you learn something know everyday!.

The price is a joke, seen these kicking round in second hand bins for a pound or two

Fine scale wheels, my A@@@

Edited by darren01

I am sure that this trader (with a 99.8% positive rating) has not done this deliberately..... if he has then he's a moron and morons don't get 99.8% positive feedback. So it's what we in the trade call a 'mistake'.

As an ebay seller myself in the past I know this kind of thing can happen - right description, wrong photo.

So rather than just huff/puff about it I have contacted the seller via ebay and pointed out his mistake

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA

Not seen much of our friend from the lakes recently so a timely reminder with the GWR in France.

To confuse modern readers he does now state Grange-Over-Sands rather than Cartmel.

SWMBO is always on the look out for bargains and came home with this the other day.

Not a name I would normally associate with a bargain.

Bernard

post-149-0-86784800-1422955238.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I am sure that this trader (with a 99.8% positive rating) has not done this deliberately..... if he has then he's a moron and morons don't get 99.8% positive feedback. So it's what we in the trade call a 'mistake'.

As an ebay seller myself in the past I know this kind of thing can happen - right description, wrong photo.

So rather than just huff/puff about it I have contacted the seller via ebay and pointed out his mistake

Maybe, but this seller supplies around a third of the overpriced nonsense in this thread. If he'd put the correct picture on the auction it would probably still be posted here anyway.

He does it all the time, so it is either incompetence or deliberate 'place holding'. Either way, it does not reflect well on the business.

I won't go into the pricing policy....

£275 seems expensive even for a 'rare' Exley.

Edited by Il Grifone

• RMweb Premium

That "mistake" has been listed since at least May 2014, if not before that and has appeared on this thread at least three times.

Cheers,

Mick

This is the 3rd time he has listed this item with the wrong picture.

I did contact him the first time he listed it and told him of his mistake.

He obviously ignored me or does not read his messages, which is not good when he is a trader.

This is the 3rd time he has listed this item with the wrong picture.

I did contact him the first time he listed it and told him of his mistake.

He obviously ignored me or does not read his messages, which is not good when he is a trader.

That's not good whether he's a trader or not!

Apologies to all - I had not realised that he was a serial offender or that people had previously contacted him. Someone needs to report this item to ebay - has anyone done that?

That said - how do we explain that 99.8% of people left positive feedback - they must be happy!

• RMweb Gold

That said - how do we explain that 99.8% of people left positive feedback - they must be happy!

If I knew how to sell things for three times their worth to people who were pleased about the whole thing. It would be a secret I'd keep to myself.

• Like 1