EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Premium
On 16/02/2019 at 21:45, Il Grifone said:

I know it's our 'friend' Cartmel, but, apart from the numerous chips/marks to the paintwork including removal of the build date (why?) and the coal load, since when has something with replaced couplings (Trix) been MIB (mint in box)? It should have the standard Rivarossi loop coupling or possibly their bolt-on X2f.

The price is the usual OTT, but seeing the 20/6 written on the box.... (I have several Rivarossi gondolas, but didn't pay anything like that for any of them!)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-RIVAROSSI-HO-MODEL-No-C-GON-2-PENNSYLVANIA-GONDOLA-WAGON-MIB/302902025867?hash=item46865e1e8b:g:XrUAAMXQVERSxfgr

So what if it has 20/6 on the box? Or are you suggesting that it ought to sell for no more than 1 pound 2 1/2p?

• RMweb Gold

From his other items...

00 gauge GWR station seats ETCHED brass in kit form 4mm scale LIKE PENDON Hornby.......what is that description supposed to mean?....well we do know that it's a 'search' thing... :rolleyes:

...oh and lots of 'LOOK' ....what is that supposed to do? I tend not to look!

Edited by Re6/6

• RMweb Gold

Keyword spamming. I *HATE* it. I buy car parts from time to time - but only Genuine Saab ones. The number of sellers that call things, for example, Saab Brake pads - genuine. Yet when you look they mean the pads are genuine as opposed to fake - not that they are Genuine Saab. Reported so many (being that keyword spamming is a thing on the report to ebay page) - yet nothing happens.

Ugh.

1 hour ago, Bucoops said:

Keyword spamming. I *HATE* it. I buy car parts from time to time - but only Genuine Saab ones. The number of sellers that call things, for example, Saab Brake pads - genuine. Yet when you look they mean the pads are genuine as opposed to fake - not that they are Genuine Saab. Reported so many (being that keyword spamming is a thing on the report to ebay page) - yet nothing happens.

Ugh.

SAAB not the best example to use as they do not make any of mechanical parts themselves, they are all General motors parts (earlier SAAB's British Leyland - Triumph dolomite) and the turbo Mitsibushi.

I used to have this argument with my SAAB dealer. Buy parts shipped to Sweden, put in a Saab box and shipped back to the Uk, or buy the parts that have traveled less distance, direct from Liverpool, in a GM/Vauxhall box, at less than half the price. Now out of warranty, my local garage has a database of SAAB parts numbers against the actual manufacturers part numbers. HUGE savings.

Mike Wiltshire 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, Coach bogie said:

SAAB not the best example to use as they do not make any of mechanical parts themselves, they are all General motors parts (earlier SAAB's British Leyland - Triumph dolomite) and the turbo Mitsibushi.

I used to have this argument with my SAAB dealer. Buy parts shipped to Sweden, put in a Saab box and shipped back to the Uk, or buy the parts that have traveled less distance, direct from Liverpool, in a GM/Vauxhall box, at less than half the price. Now out of warranty, my local garage has a database of SAAB parts numbers against the actual manufacturers part numbers. HUGE savings.

Mike Wiltshire 

Actually they did make a lot of their own parts - after the 1709 engine developed along with Triumph by Ricardo, they decided they could do better (typical Saab!) and took the engine design in house - the 1850 wasn't great but the 1985cc B engine (as in my car) is bulletproof. All vehicle manufacturers use OEMs for part manufacture. The exception usually being body panels and sometimes large castings such as engine blocks, cylinder heads etc. 

But by genuine Saab I mean ones made to their specification, and often with SAAB cast into the basic part, and in Saab packaging - as opposed to pattern parts which keep getting labelled on ebay as genuine by irritating sellers. Balljoints are a good example - pattern ones last a couple of thousand miles at best, genuine ones 20k.

On 03/03/2019 at 11:27, kevinlms said:

So what if it has 20/6 on the box? Or are you suggesting that it ought to sell for no more than 1 pound 2 1/2p?

Not at all I was pointing out the original price  (£20-25 in today's money) as a possible excuse for his mark up. Rivarossi always was an expensive make, but hasn't really kept its value (at least for U.S freight cars). £5-10 will usually be sufficient to acquire a freight car these days (perhaps a bit more for a box).

My main point was that it wasn't 'mint' or anything like it to justify the description and price, A PRR gondola is also one of the common ones and not "hard to find" at all.

• RMweb Premium
  • RMweb Gold

• RMweb Premium
  • RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

Fair price but the madness here is yet another paint it yellow and stick a poor quality Network Rail sticker on it situation.

Well, the seller is obviously a West Ham fan - enough said :lol_mini:

• Agree 1

45 minutes ago, Re6/6 said:

Not madness, but why........what's the point in putting something to auction without pictures? Surely waiting for the 'complete package' would be logical.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/392255718477?ul_noapp=true 

Don't forget your cheque book and pen ! :laugh:

810860609_MV5BY2ZmNmQwNWMtZWY4NS00ZjA1LWFkOTUtMDU3NjMzMmZiYWY1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjM2NDIwMzQ@._V1_UY268_CR160182268_AL_2.jpg.5a8a47fbc37bd96cade65926d445dfa8.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, N15class said:

I think you loose more gain. If like me you look at picture and title, when searching. If no picture I skip past never to return.

I prefer photos of the actual item listed too instead of stock photos

oliviastrainsclearance have used items listed with stock photos so you don’t actually know what you’re getting in terms of the condition.....especially considering who’s selling them :P

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Is this madness?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-Harvey-The-Crane-from-Thomas-the-Tank-working-00-Gauge-Locomotive/143158275254?hash=item2154e5ecb6:g:S0cAAOSwd9dcfWF6&redirect=mobile

It's certainly not my cup o' char :D and well outside mi justifiable spending (£155 when linked) even if I wanted one.

It went for £204.99!

In fairness to the seller, it is basically a scratch build (the crane part at least) and was listed at £0.99.

I suppose if you're a Thomas fan it is a must have, but....

I have a feeling there will be gauge problems too. Has he caught the engine equivalent of mumps?

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 2