EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Andy WD said:

Has the time come when anything listed by Gosturderbaker should be automatically banned from this thread.........?

• Agree 1
  • Funny 4

1 hour ago, Andy WD said:

If you got a couple of the Dapol kits for those coaches and made a "weedkiller train" then they could legitimately be called "kitbuilt"...

4 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Has the time come when anything listed by Gosturderbaker should be automatically banned from this thread.........?

Perhaps.

There could be a "Gostude Says" thread...  :crazy:

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

12 hours ago, 009 micro modeller said:

But more to the point, I didn’t think it was possible using eBay’s software. Because if it’s a single item surely it will show as sold straight away and only stay up if it’s immediately re-listed?

This will refer to the Rocket Railways website I think...

https://www.rocketrailways.co.uk/

They are also on Facebook, and LinkedIn...

With eBay, if you add an item to your “basket”, then it does remain available to others until you make payment...

(Quite apt, for the “basket cases” offered for sale? ;) )

Edited by Sarahagain
Website address added
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, Metr0Land said:

To avoid Disappointment, please pay for your item straight away as it still remains online until paid for.

14 hours ago, 009 micro modeller said:

But more to the point, I didn’t think it was possible using eBay’s software. Because if it’s a single item surely it will show as sold straight away and only stay up if it’s immediately re-listed?

If you use BIN there is an option to require immediate payment, otherwise the item remains unsold and could be purchased by someone else.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 28/08/2020 at 09:56, Rockalaucher101 said:

Seller probably thinks he has the Hornby Dublo 3 rail deltic  "St. Paddy" which is indeed rare enough to command higher prices.

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Peter Eaton said:

Indeed! I look at some of his items and wonder how much of it there is a market for, especially at those prices, but looking at the first items that come up (class 150 parts) if he's buying a unit at around 'normal' prices then allowing for the fact that some parts won't sell, or will take ages, and to give a mark up, the prices couldn't really be much lower and him still make any money. £25 for a motor assembly, £30 for a chassis, it seems a lot, but I guess where there's no alternative then sometimes £25 is better than £125 for a new model.

All that said, I have to admit to having bought two items from him (he was very good to deal with), and since they weren't available elsewhere and the alternative was to buy and dismantle a complete model, it was a case of 'expensive but not extortionate' and no more than if I'd bougth a complete one then sold on the bits I didn't use. On the other hand, I'm looking for suitable bogies and potential drive units for my 323s at the minute, and six bogies at £20+ each is just a non-starter. Horses for courses I suppose. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, MrWolf said:

It's a bit strange that Gostude has appeared on my page as a recommended seller.

More disturbing is that he apparently has 1467 followers.

Kim K has millions of followers too but I wouldn't buy any railway stuff off her either.:D

• Funny 8

Mehano are known for their ability to produce trains which, while not great, are generally acceptable at a relatively low price. This lower price has made them quite popular among certain groups of modellers. Some bright spark seems to have decided to cash in on the demand for Mehano products caused by BMR and Sam's Trains videos on them. Unfortunately, they seem to have forgotten that the only reason they are desireable is the low price.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HO-Gauge-Mehano-T688-SNCF-TGV-Duplex-with-T699-and-T700-expansion-packs/264849460178?hash=item3daa420bd2:g:7MoAAOSw1u5fTQ~h

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, DK123GWR said:

Mehano are known for their ability to produce trains which, while not great, are generally acceptable at a relatively low price. This lower price has made them quite popular among certain groups of modellers. Some bright spark seems to have decided to cash in on the demand for Mehano products caused by BMR and Sam's Trains videos on them. Unfortunately, they seem to have forgotten that the only reason they are desireable is the low price.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HO-Gauge-Mehano-T688-SNCF-TGV-Duplex-with-T699-and-T700-expansion-packs/264849460178?hash=item3daa420bd2:g:7MoAAOSw1u5fTQ~h

Actually that’s not a bad price for a complete TGV Duplex - the Mehano extension packs are quite hard to find.

Compare that price to the Jouef TGVs.

Cheers

Darius

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, Darius43 said:

Actually that’s not a bad price for a complete TGV Duplex - the Mehano extension packs are quite hard to find.

Compare that price to the Jouef TGVs.

Cheers

Darius

My mistake - I read 'extension packs' and assumed that they were track ones (which I knew Mehano produced). I wasn't even aware that they did intermediate coach packs, which I guess proves you right.

• Friendly/supportive 3

Yep, certainly a reasonable starting point for a ten-vehicle TGV. I'm not a huge fan of the Mehano ones but for the price it's hard to complain, and they pop up fairly frequently on eBay and the likes. Versatile too, since the trailer couplings can be easily adapted to run with the old Jouef ones. Not to be confused with the newer Hornby Jouef ones, which use the old Lima Collection tooling and a completely different articulation  / coupling / support system... don't even try :D

When Jouef released the Spanish AVE set in the mid-90s they produced intermediate trailers that were sold individually, but for some reason elected not to produce the R4 bar trailer (even though the tooling existed) and so it wasn't until I realised Mehano also made the AVE that I was able to complete my rake...

They don't half take up a bit of space though... (the Mehano trailer is bottom-right, in a Jouef box so it can pass unnoticed)

Alan

IMG_2849.JPG.06f18723a0d2c7d9f808a647bf8dd7a5.JPG

Edited by jivebunny
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I bet that's an impressive sight coupled up and running on a layout.

I still haven't got round to converting that one to DCC but I had my full-length TGV Atlantique running on the (rural steam-era) club layout a few months back. It was indeed quite a sight with its two additional trailers over other TGV types...

IMG_20200214_211012729-01.jpeg.5a47368354dc3ffb972f17142e1de227.jpeg

• Like 16

5 minutes ago, Metr0Land said:

At that price I think they'll be dining on the sofa for the foreseeable future...

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

59 minutes ago, jivebunny said:

At that price I think they'll be dining on the sofa for the foreseeable future...

Given that it's being sold with all the items, less the rolling stock, a closer look reveals a lot of track, running to 3 loops on 3 levels {one being on a separate lower level halfway down the legs}.  Given it's also fully constructed, wired for DCC and includes the DCC control setup, the price is not quite so far away from being reasonable.  It isn't something I would buy, but if the layout was what I wanted, there is plenty there for the money.

His/her summary:-

3.5 large (2.6m x 1.3m) interconnected loops on 3 levels, with a smaller loop on the base level. The top level consists of loop with interesting curves , a covered station, 2 other stations, girder bridge, couple of sheds, sidings, a manual turntable. a programming track, and two slopes down / up  to the middle middle level.

Middle level is slightly shorter loop, nothing especially on it a (tunnel exit) I use it a holding level to keep train(s) moving., which has a slope access to the Lower level. 

Lower level has a large loop with half a U loop inside it, there a 4 stations.  Inside this loop there is a 4 engine shed accessed by turntable which also has 4 sidings. Turntable also accesses another small loop which circles field and farm buildings.

Also includes a secondary track on a lower level which you can see on video, its not DCC, does have nice skaledale buildings.

True they might be a while waiting for someone who might want a ready made layout.

Julian

The reason it is so hard to sell a ready built layout is that it fits into a specific space.  Unfortunately my spare  room is a different size and/or shape from yours.  If mine is smaller, the layout wont fit.  If it's bigger I want to get more into the space.  You cant really win. 

It is so sad that many good layouts get broken up when the room is needed for something else or the property sold, but the reaility is that you stand a better chance of selling off the rolling stock and accessories separately.  Selling the lot is probably still worth a try first though.  Good luck.

• Agree 1