RMweb

How to get lynched at a model railway show

BR60103

• RMweb Gold

Turn up with: a huge rucksack, a baby in a front carrier thingy; a triplet double decker buggy (fully inhabited); another child of some description (on a lead); shorts; welly boots; some second hand gentleman of the road upper body clothing; twa Bull Mastiffs (unmuzzled - on expanding leads); no dog poo bags; a golfing style umbrella; SWMBO with similar attachments; no cash, only a cheque book; one's own food from a well known farce food outlet, to be eaten whilst walking; a camera with a lens the size of the international space station;  I Pod earphones in position; no sense of humour.

That should do it.........

Aha, so it was you at Spalding!!!

Mike.

• RMweb Premium

walk up to a S4 layout and ask "how did you get Peco track to look so good?" then leg it!!

or - as happened once long ago a guy came up and said in a loud voice

" the bolt heads on the footboards of that Highland coach are the wrong shape"  (in O gauge(!)

edited for spellung...

Edited by Barry O

Walk up to a Victorian Railways modeller and admire their beautiful locomotives and rolling stock, then ask why it's all running on 4' 8 1/2" track and not 5' 3".

Edited by 69843

Hi all.

Well it seems I've survived another year without the concept of being lynched for railway modelling misdemeanours, though I still seem to drop the odd "clanger" here or there. Might have been one or two this year, but off the top of my head can't think of anything directly to hand.

Still I can say I've survived and am just as enthusiastic about the GWR as ever. As always most of all "Churchwood's" designs ! :jester:  :mosking: ;) :sarcastic: :lol: :rolleyes:

Go up to a layout representing a European railway  and complain in a loud voice that the trains are running on the left and if they can't even get that right the rest of the modelling can't be up to much.

Hold your annual exhibition in a public event hall during the midwinter festival season and arrange for tickets to be sold from the same box office as the Christmas family show (I assume this was at the venue's insistence but it was very frustrating)

Put the postcode of your clubhouse/ hon. sec. on your exhibtion publicity/website  instead of that for the hall. You'll soon hear the throbbing of the tom toms.

Edited by Pacific231G

Find a nice big DCC layout with all the sound fitted diesels ticking over sounding like a load of untuned FM radios. Ask nicely if you can take a close up picture and once permission is granted, carefully rest your metal cased compact camera on the track for that ultmate shot.....

JF

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Find a nice big DCC layout with all the sound fitted diesels ticking over sounding like a load of untuned FM radios. Ask nicely if you can take a close up picture and once permission is granted, carefully rest your metal cased compact camera on the track for that ultmate shot.....

JF

I once rested my Canon EOS digital SLR on the rails on one of my layouts to take a shot. The layout is DCC.

I could smell burning plastic - the camera now has two grooves in the bottom of it 16.5mm apart.

The serial number labal was slightly conductive but didnt short the DCC system!

• RMweb Premium

Walk up to a Victorian Railways modeller and admire their beautiful locomotives and rolling stock, then ask why it's all running on 4' 8 1/2" track and not 5' 3".

My clubs' exhibition is this weekend & since there are going to be VR layouts there, you're welcome to come along and ask!

http://croydonmrc.com.au/new/

I once rested my Canon EOS digital SLR on the rails on one of my layouts to take a shot. The layout is DCC.I could smell burning plastic - the camera now has two grooves in the bottom of it 16.5mm apart.The serial number labal was slightly conductive but didnt short the DCC system!

And now you have a track back to back tester and camera all in one!

• Like 1

At Harrogate MANY years ago I was helping operate a Midland layout when a spectator took a great interest in a Midland Horsebox parked in a siding.  His praise was effusive for how good it was.  He then asked if it was scratchbuilt.

I replied (honestly) that it was Jidenco.

Spectator gasped, pulled an anguished face and walked off in disgust.

• Like 1

At Harrogate MANY years ago I was helping operate a Midland layout when a spectator took a great interest in a Midland Horsebox parked in a siding.  His praise was effusive for how good it was.  He then asked if it was scratchbuilt.

I replied (honestly) that it was Jidenco.

Spectator gasped, pulled an anguished face and walked off in disgust.

I can't see why that would have upset him, a Jidenco kit might as well be a scratchbuild. Perhaps he was in awe of the builder?

Cheers,

David