Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

How to get lynched at a model railway show

BR60103

3 hours ago, Chris M said:

I’ve been taking huge liberties for years and rather disappointingly nobody seems to have noticed. When running my 1968 stock I quite recklessly run a blue Warship with just one central BR emblem. At the same time I run a blue CCT with “express parcels” lettering. Surely everyone knows that both of these are just plain wrong for 1968. If I saw such bad mistakes on someone else’s layout at an exhibition I would have to have a quiet word with them.

2 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

Tut tut... that's just not the way for the EBCR. The idea is to have a LOUD word, with everyone within earshot, apart from the layout owner/operator, who shall be treated as if they are deaf, and invisible. 🙄😝

2 hours ago, Gilbert said:

Sorry - in order to be eligible for a LOUD word you need to have an "Obviously I've never built or exhibited anything myself" certificate.....

Chris H

Too right. The Charter of the EBCR specifically forbids the initiation of anyone who has ever exhibited a layout. The reason? If you've been there and done it yourself you might show some sympathy and compassion for an exhibitor who has strayed from the Path of Accuracy. 

And the EBCR never show compassion or sympathy.  They are ruthless! 

And loud. Chris H, if you've exhibited and think you point out the errors of people's permanent ways with "a quiet word" the EBCR is not for you. KTRC is much more your thing. From what you say you're well on the way to winning the prize for "The glaring inaccuracy which went totally unremarked for the entire duration of the show." 

• Like 3
  • Funny 2

19 minutes ago, CameronL said:

winning the prize for "The glaring inaccuracy which went totally unremarked for the entire duration of the show." 

And the KTRC nominations for Best Wind-Up Of The Show (and the Unremarked Inaccuracy awards) are  ...  (roll of drums please) ...

• Running a goods train into Ashburton Station in July 1962 - pulled by D866 Zenith
  • A Class 122 in green, with whiskers, in Fowey Station in 1966 - with a headboard that says "Par"
  • A model of Brent Station in Devon, with a GWR Pannier & two coaches in the branch bay - with a station sign that says "Next train to Salcombe"

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KeithMacdonald said:

A model of Brent Station in Devon, with a GWR Pannier & two coaches in the branch bay - with a station sign that says "Next train to Salcombe"

Many years ago I saw an O Scale layout named Brent. They were running a Class 50 in Large Logo Blue hauling a freight train entirely made up of pre-Nationalisation Private Owner wagons. It made several circuits whilst the operators had the required natter with each other. 🙄

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium

I've got an idea for a layout and I'm going to call it 'Apoplexy Junction'. The large logo 50 in blue hauling a rake of unfitted PO wagons sounds just right for the layout. The layout will be somewhere in East Anglia with mountains on the backscene and Brunelian  station buildings though I'm open to suggestions as to what can be added to the layout or run on it.

• Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

I've got an idea for a layout and I'm going to call it 'Apoplexy Junction'. The large logo 50 in blue hauling a rake of unfitted PO wagons sounds just right for the layout. The layout will be somewhere in East Anglia with mountains on the backscene and Brunelian  station buildings though I'm open to suggestions as to what can be added to the layout or run on it.

3rd Rail?

Andi

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

'Apoplexy Junction'. .. I'm open to suggestions as to what can be added to the layout or run on it.

How about a Class 86 Electric Loco - pulling a mix of fish vans and china clay hood vans?

Or a GWR Hall pulling some Mk3 InterCity coaches?

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

A bus on a bridge?

Regularly distributed sheep? 

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

How about a Class 86 Electric Loco - pulling a mix of fish vans and china clay hood vans?

Without overhead wires of course....

24 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Or a GWR Hall pulling some Mk3 InterCity coaches?

And the Hall is painted maroon........

(Hmmmm - that gives me an idea.........)

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 8

26 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

In the Brunelian station car park there's an orange and white bus. The colours are correct for the date, but if you look closer it's a SELNEC bus (that's South East Lancashire and North East Cheshire).

Or just a nice Western?

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

How about a Class 86 Electric Loco

If it’s going to be set in East Anglia though they actually ran there at one point, albeit much later. Surely a class 92 would be better/worse - and it would also be able to run off the inappropriately added third rail. Passenger services could be provided by London Underground D78 stock, but painted in the livery of Greater Manchester PTE (or some equally randomly obscure incorrect combination).

15 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

Regularly distributed sheep? 

I would be tempted actually to have a herd of wildebeest.* Depending on the scale, will anyone notice they’re not cows?

*a similar feature can also presumably be added to layouts set in 1970s Torquay of course, sweeping majestically across the plain (or the backscene at least).

• Like 4
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, kevinlms said:

And a red car around the corner, being belted with a branch!

Dammit…. You saw the old layout then! 

While we are here let’s add The Lupin Express and a deadly white rabbit.

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 4
  • Funny 1

10 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

I do like this idea and think it would be very popular at exhibitions!

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, 009 micro modeller said:

And is hauling an O Series Shinkansen… actually let’s leave that one for now. (hurriedly puts away worm can opener).

I think the can is already well and truly open.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

What occurs to me is that an awful lot of 'average' modellers probably do run these sort of trains on their home layouts at that's absolutely fine, but it then suggests to me that the layouts we see at the 'big shows' are not representative of the hobby overall. 

You just have to look at social media where on some groups over half the layouts are a Setrack oval with everything straight out of the box. After all all we are doing is playing trains and we are just going up to the next level(s).

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, MyRule1 said:

Don't forget the East Anglian coal mine

There are some very nice Bavarian pre-WW1 coal wagons (from Trix) that would go well in that layout on a siding for that. You could even start a prolonged rant that hopper-bottom, braked coal wagons are the wave of the future (viewed from 1905). None of this loose-coupled unbraked Private Operator stuff.

Coal Hopper Wagons.png

• Like 1

19 hours ago, 009 micro modeller said:

I met an exhibitor once who claimed that he built all his 009 locos with slightly incorrect wheel arrangements for this exact reason.

I fear that the builders who are building our new house have exactly the same ball shyte excuse explanation in mind, for all the walls, windows and doors that are out-of-alignment.

• Friendly/supportive 4