Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

How to get lynched at a model railway show

BR60103

II believe it is important not to overdo the subtlety of inaccuracies but make them reasonably obvious.

As someone to whom diesels are a mystery, then whether this blue livery diesel ran with that type of BR carriage or wagon wouldn't be obvious. However, the East Anglian branch line with a GWR livery pannier tank alongside a LMS  Jinty and a BR DMU would quickly dispel any sense of realism and make me wonder about the builder/operator's intelligence. And yes, I have seen such a layout, which featured well modelled regional architecture that gave it a good sense of location. I was too dispirited to say anything.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

However, the East Anglian branch line with a GWR livery pannier tank alongside a LMS  Jinty and a BR DMU would quickly dispel any sense of realism and make me wonder about the builder/operator's intelligence. And yes, I have seen such a layout, which featured well modelled regional architecture that gave it a good sense of location.

Are you sure it wasn't a model of the North Norfolk Railway on a steam gala weekend?

Steven B.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, Steven B said:

Are you sure it wasn't a model of the North Norfolk Railway on a steam gala weekend?

And if not, why not? 😃

Taff Vale Railway Class 02, GWR 5600 Class,  BR Standard 5 No. 73156 (Neasden shed) and D7628 (Cricklewood shed) were acceptable on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway, and probably a few Hymeks and Warships as well.

Rule #1

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I’m going to be daring at the Stafford show. I’m going to run a brake van railtour which would be fine for the early 60s, but I’m going to run it along the main line!

I’ll keep on ear open for comments about how wrong this is. My retort will be that the tour is merely travelling between two freight only lines. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Steven B said:

Steven B.

Definitely not. This had a harbour (something neither Sheringham nor Holt do have), and Essex weatherboard cottages, rather than Norfolk flint.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chris M said:

I’m going to be daring at the Stafford show. I’m going to run a brake van railtour which would be fine for the early 60s, but I’m going to run it along the main line!

I’ll keep on ear open for comments about how wrong this is. My retort will be that the tour is merely travelling between two freight only lines. 

Actually that sounds perfectly reasonable to me. How or where would enthusiasts embark on a Brake Van Special, on a Freight Only branch anyway?? I don't know, but I assume these workings started from passenger stations, which might well be on the main line?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

21 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

How or where would enthusiasts embark on a Brake Van Special, on a Freight Only branch anyway?

How about one Brave Van at a time, reversing into a tiny Loading Dock to pickup a few enthusiasts? With a lot of shunting to pick up each of the other Brave Vans in turn, gradually making a daisy-chain of the loaded vans. All to bemuse and befuddle the audience, preferably with a TTTE "peep-peep" sound effect before and after every manourvre.

• Funny 3

14 hours ago, MyRule1 said:

You should not use the cliché of a treacle mine as these are prototypical for that particular geographic area.

Well I suppose digging sugar beets out the ground in Suffolk is a sort of treacle mining. But what about a Garratt hauling the sugar beet wagons? After all, there’s at least three of them in neighbouring Norfolk (one at Bressingham, two at Wells & Walsingham).

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

I fear that the builders who are building our new house have exactly the same ball shyte excuse explanation in mind, for all the walls, windows and doors that are out-of-alignment.

Yes, but did you SPECIFY in the contract that these items were meant to be straight and true? You only have yourself to blame if you didn't.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Chris M said:

Nothing wrong with that. The model railway club I’m a member of had a brake van special in the early 1980s.  What’s more, for the first part of the day the brake vans were attached to a freight train. For the second part the bake vans were double headed by a class 25 and a 40 - quite some acceleration.

• Like 3

On 20/09/2022 at 08:53, TEAMYAKIMA said:

What occurs to me is that an awful lot of 'average' modellers probably do run these sort of trains on their home layouts at that's absolutely fine, but it then suggests to me that the layouts we see at the 'big shows' are not representative of the hobby overall. 

Cor blimey! Makes yer sick dunnit? All these "Big Show" boys, telling us the general public what to do,  but in the privacy of their own homes, oh dear, what naughty things they get up to!  Makes yer wonder, are they politicians or bishops as well?

• Like 1

For the next round of the ongoing KTRC -v- EBCR contest, I am preparing a special entry for the "The glaring inaccuracy which went totally unremarked for the entire duration of the show" category.

It's a SR Banana Van, Diagram 1479, based on a Ratio 541 or Parkside Models PC541 kit.

But with the wrong number of planks.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

Huh - 'Tracing' is for lightweights. 🙄😝

May I share a Masterclass in giving the EBCR an almost fatal collective heart attack, and at the same time it takes number one spot in KTRC.

Gentlemen I present G Scale Train Drifting....

Ridiculous! Actually doing that sort of thing is bad enough, but to make a video as well. Just so wrong.

I hope this idiot hasn’t made any other videos….

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 4
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1