The Fall & Rise of the 60's ( was The End of the Tugs?)

• RMweb Premium

Another nice little modelable formation!

60092 on 5 wagons at Swinton (South Yorkshire) earlier this evening.

Cheers,

Phil.

Nah - you'd never get away with running short trains on a modern layout.................

:jester:

Cheers,

Mick

Here's a few recent class 60 shots from my site. They're taken from here http://joalder.smugmug.com/Recent-Additions/i-RwJmSCK

It's a shame we don't seem to get 60s around Westbury any longer, though the Murco workings and some South Wales steels are still solid bets for class 60 haulage

IMG_0536-60001-6B67-XL.jpg

60001 crawls past East Usk Yard, Newport working 6B67 Margam - Llanwern with a mix of covered and open steel carriers 8/3/14

IMG_0560-60059-6B33-XL.jpg

60059 approaches East Usk Yard, Newport working 6B33 Theale - Margam, running around 2 hours early 8/3/14

IMG_0775-60039-6E41-XL.jpg

60039 approaches Wickwar tunnel working 6E41 Westerleigh - Lindsey 28/3/14

IMG_0799-60020-6B13-XL.jpg

60020 arrives at Yate with a diverted 6B13 Robeston - Westerleigh. Engineering work south of Gloucester had closed the usual route, so a reversal here was required. Instead of using the Tytherington branch as booked, the train reversed in the platform 5/4/14

IMG_0828-60017-6B33-XL.jpg

60017 passes Patchway working 6B33 Theale - Margam 5/4/14

IMG_0839-60017-6B33-XL.jpg

60017 departs Pilning loop with 6B33 Theale - Margam 5/4/14 

jo

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

I was in South Wales last week and saw 60039 working the 29 wagon long Westerleigh tanks most days in one direction or the other.  It made a fabulous and very impressive sight.  We first saw it looped at Hereford Monday morning heading south, then heading east through Newport Tuesday morning, West through Cardiff Wednersday evening and East through Newport again on Thursday morning.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

Yesterday morning we were changing trains at Newport. Luckily the Robeston to Waesterleigh tank train was due through.

An added surprise was the class 66 on the back. Have not seen this before on this train.

post-1557-0-75993600-1399184677_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-35380300-1399184724_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Just to complement the one above here's a shot of 60039 on the same working going east full on 24/4/14 at Cardiff Central.

P4241342_resize.JPG.b9ed3af85e068cfea0ddfbf31a7f73bd.JPG

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 4

Yesterday morning we were changing trains at Newport. Luckily the Robeston to Waesterleigh tank train was due through.

An added surprise was the class 66 on the back. Have not seen this before on this train.

This happens when for whatever reason the train cannot go via Gloucester and has to reverse to access the Westerleigh branch. It happened a few weeks ago when there was engineering work between Gloucester and Yate. The train was booked onto the Tytherington branch to reverse, but instead used the down platform at Yate, since no other trains were running it didn't matter that it blocked the line for 10 minutes or so. This wasn't the shot I had in mind, but hey-ho!

IMG_0799-60020-6B13-XL.jpg

60020 arrives at Yate with a diverted 6B13 Robeston - Westerleigh. Engineering work south of Gloucester had closed the usual route, so a reversal here was required. Instead of using the Tytherington branch as booked, the train reversed in the platform 5/4/14

I daren't put a photo of a 66 on this thread, but the whole reversal can be seen on here http://joalder.smugmug.com/Trains/Days-Out-2014/Yate-Patchway-and-Pilning-5414/i-7CHDH3P

jo

• Like 5

The loops in Yate yard are only about 22 chains long over the fouling points and I reckon the train will not fit for a run round. The branch has a temporary stopblock at the 30ch marker and is now effectively closed up to the quarry at Tytherington.

• RMweb Premium

The loops in Yate yard are only about 22 chains long over the fouling points and I reckon the train will not fit for a run round. The branch has a temporary stopblock at the 30ch marker and is now effectively closed up to the quarry at Tytherington.

Assuming that each of the 29 bogie tanks are 70' long I make that about 30 chains. So obvioulsy no chance of the loops.   Is the 66 also needed for banking out of the Severn Tunnel due to the load and gradient.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

A junior Freightliner employee I know has told me that FLHH is looking to have some Class 60s. I reckon they will look good in FL livery if that is true.

A junior Freightliner employee I know has told me that FLHH is looking to have some Class 60s. I reckon they will look good in FL livery if that is true.

Ties in with the suggestion on WNXX that DBS might be offloading more 60's...

• RMweb Premium

Ties in with the suggestion on WNXX that DBS might be offloading more 60's...

I guess I'd better invest in some green paint then!

Cheers,

Mick

And pigs might fly....................... :declare:

Cheers,

Mick

depend how hard you kick em or use a cannon .......

name one of the 60`s  The Flying Pig

which would make it  flying pig tug.    -   on that note leaves the building fast  ------------ >