The Fall & Rise of the 60's ( was The End of the Tugs?)

We'll that is good news. But here's the question, are new spare parts readily available? Can't see DBS releasing any Traction Motors or an Engine to a revival. Without a reliable supply of spare parts, Wabtec will have to canibalise a few to get the majority going again. Or are Wabtec looking at doing a complete rebuild like the Class 57?

To a revival rival !!!

Don't forget, Wabtec built these machines, so I don't think their reliance on DBS needs to be over-emphasised.

The DBS Super 60 programme has demonstrated there's not much wrong with the Mirrlees MB275T that a bit of fettling won't cure, so I'd say a new engine probably isn't really a priority. Higher power output isn't really necessary either as there a few jobs on the UK network that would really test a 60 in its current form. However, it all depends on what the end customer wants to do. They might want an electro-diesel, or a multi-engine conversion. It'll be interesting to see what emerges.

I also wonder if this is going to be used to fund further 60 overhauls for DBS, or if they're just offloading a few assets after losing Network Rail NDS work.

The DBS Super 60 programme has demonstrated there's not much wrong with the Mirrlees MB275T that a bit of fettling won't cure, so I'd say a new engine probably isn't really a priority. Higher power output isn't really necessary either as there a few jobs on the UK network that would really test a 60 in its current form. However, it all depends on what the end customer wants to do. They might want an electro-diesel, or a multi-engine conversion. It'll be interesting to see what emerges.

I also wonder if this is going to be used to fund further 60 overhauls for DBS, or if they're just offloading a few assets after losing Network Rail NDS work.

Absolutely, pure speculation and a little wishful thinking on my part. It would be nice to see locos that a few weeks ago no-one would have thought of as having much of a future being given the TLC they deserve and returning to service.

• RMweb Premium

There was a possibility of 10 more DBS overhauls, but that may have been dropped now, as I believe some of those earmarked 10 have been included in the sale.

The MB275 is one of the most fuel efficient out there (if not the best of the loco fleet), so in these days of high and rising fuel costs, that must stand it in good stead.

However, as stated elsewhere, the bodyshells are relatively young and there doesn't really appear to have been any corrosion problems with the existing 60, so new internals may be a go-er.

I await the details with interest/paint/transfers and if necessary a scalpel blade and files. (I have two Hornby 60's on the spare shelf) 

Cheers,

Mick

There was a possibility of 10 more DBS overhauls, but that may have been dropped now, as I believe some of those earmarked 10 have been included in the sale.

The MB275 is one of the most fuel efficient out there (if not the best of the loco fleet), so in these days of high and rising fuel costs, that must stand it in good stead.

However, as stated elsewhere, the bodyshells are relatively young and there doesn't really appear to have been any corrosion problems with the existing 60, so new internals may be a go-er.

I await the details with interest/paint/transfers and if necessary a scalpel blade and files. (I have two Hornby 60's on the spare shelf) 

Cheers,

Mick

They'll be overkill on a 4 coach & DBSO test train Mick.

How far gone are these ones ? Some of those in the scrap line at toton looked beyond saving ,

Hopefully this won't be another case like has happened before that when the state of them is really seen they are scrapped.

• RMweb Premium

Of the 20 listed, 10 of them are at Crewe DMD, 9 at Toton and one at St Blazey. Pretty certain the CD and BZ locos are under cover. I think the locos at TO were sorted out awhile ago, with the better ones being stored in a more secure environment near the depot, the others were subject to the ravages of the copper fairies.

Cheers,

Mick

Good to see the 60's that were for sale have been snapped up. Be very interesting to see where they end up!

So, earlier in the month I went away for a few days spotting! The classic areas of Barnetby, Burton Salmon, Milford Junction & Stenson Junction were all visited, with 60's mainly found on the heavy oil workings out of Humberside. A bit of a downer was seeing the same locos twice, as the workings they're on are out and back!

60010 was first up, working 6E32 Preston Docks to Lindsey but I only achieved an awful picture so it's not included.

post-7258-0-36871000-1383651383_thumb.jpg

60019 "Port of Grimsby & Immingham" followed with a lenghty 6E54 Kingsbury to Lindsey. 7.10.13

post-7258-0-30233500-1383651395_thumb.jpg

60091 rolls through in the setting Sun with 6M24 Lindsey to Kingsbury loaded tanks. 7.10.13

post-7258-0-97197200-1383651408_thumb.jpg

Returning the next morning, 60091 is seen again with 6E46 Kingsbury to Lindsey. 8.10.13

post-7258-0-15123100-1383651429_thumb.jpg

Heading through Melton Ross, 60062 "Stainless Pioneer" works 6M00 Humber to Kingsbury. 8.10.13

post-7258-0-65787400-1383651450_thumb.jpg

60062 is seen at Stenson Jn with 6M57 Lindsey to Kingsbury. 10.10.13

post-7258-0-31545700-1383651462_thumb.jpg

Ex-Eastleigh shunter 60065 "Spirit of Jaguar" has spread it's wings as it works 6D44 Bescot to Toton. 66198 & 66177 were in the consist. 10.10.13

post-7258-0-17074400-1383651477_thumb.jpg

With empty tanks in tow, 60019 slows for the crossover with 6E54 Kingsbury to Humber. 10.10.13

post-7258-0-98192500-1383651487_thumb.jpg

60010 rolls over North Staffs Jn with 6E41 Westerleigh Murco to Lindsey. 10.10.13

And finally, I managed to catch 60074 "Teenage Spirit" as last! With the heads-up that is was to work 6B33 Theale to Robeston Murco tanks, a trip out to catch was a must! So after driving the 70 odd miles from home, I was not impressed for the heavens to open as it rolled down the loop at Denchworth!

post-7258-0-41999200-1383651504_thumb.jpg

As I walked back to the car, the rain cleared to reveal fantastic Sun, so a little chase was underway to get a decent shot. First seen waiting in the loop at Challow, where even the driver fancied a shot, it's then seen carrying on its journey near Uffington.

post-7258-0-59221700-1383651516_thumb.jpg

post-7258-0-87035000-1383651525_thumb.jpg

Hopefully I can catch it a bit more local to home next time!

Andy.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

That's one good thing about the rail blue era - spare body panels were usually the right colour!

Geoff Endacott

DBS are heading that way - everything is red. Problem was the tree picked the 60 that isn't!

Cheers,

Mick