ModelRail USTC 0-6-0 Tank Loco Project USA

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

As far as I can see, the link refers to the H2 Class 4-4-2 .......... or am I missing something?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Gold

As far as I can see, the link refers to the H2 Class 4-4-2 .......... or am I missing something?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

If you read halfway down the page the link takes you to, all will become clear, John.

• RMweb Premium

If you read halfway down the page the link takes you to, all will become clear, John.

Nope - just the H2 announcement.

Perhaps you could give a link directly to the USA announcement, or quote the relevant text, please?

Thanks,

John Isherwood.

Perhaps you could give a link directly to the USA announcement, or quote the relevant text, please?

Thanks,

John Isherwood.

Line 10 on my screen says "In other news Model Rail magazine have today announced that their USA tank will now be produced by Bachmann rather than Dapol.".

Mike

• RMweb Premium

Line 10 on my screen says "In other news Model Rail magazine have today announced that their USA tank will now be produced by Bachmann rather than Dapol.".

Mike

Astonishing - I had scanned that page numerous times - a case of 'can't see for looking'!

Sorry,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks,

John Isherwood.

Sorry I managed to hide it John, I was posting whilst on the move behind the C Class heading to East Grinstead. All those who attended today were given the news on an A5 flyer and I spent the day with Ben Jones. The flyer I think will also be included in the next issue of the mag due next week.

• RMweb Gold

I guess this will delay the project a bit, is there a revision to the timescale at all?

Shame for Dapol as their Well Tank led to high expectations but it's in safe hands still so still looking forward to seeing the result.

• RMweb Gold

I guess this will delay the project a bit, is there a revision to the timescale at all?

Shame for Dapol as their Well Tank led to high expectations but it's in safe hands still so still looking forward to seeing the result.

Just to echo Paul's question, anyone have any idea how this will impact time scales?

I wonderif this is a 'priority' project for Bachmann, or one to be slipped in as and when?

• RMweb Gold

I think one of the reasons for the switch was to try and limit the slip of timescales already experienced.

An interesting development, yet no mention of this on Model Rail's own web page or Facebook page. However, I am sure that the Bachmann version will be exquisite.

Whilst is it neither on their own web page or Facebook page yet the listings have been changed accordingly on the Model Rail offers online shop pages

Now the news is fully announced by Graham Muspratt: http://grahammuz.com/2013/09/02/model-rail-usa-tank-to-now-be-manufactured-by-Bachmann/

Felix

I posted this just for clarity within my own blog to give the news its own posting, and although I shall likely be assisting MR with CAD checking etc., I am not of course in anyway an official mouthpiece for Model Rail or Bachmann

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The mention of a "revised set of CAD drawingsis intriguing. Were the original ones not usable?

More a case of the CAD drawings being revised to incorporate changes already noted from the first set and bring them in line with Bachmann's own way of working.

• RMweb Gold

It is certain that the departure of Dapol Dave from Dapol will have had some negative impact on project development there, whatever the qualities of the rest of the team and his successor. Add-in Bachmann's more direct links to Chinese factories, and it all makes sense to switch if time is of the essence.

• Like 1

Its just been put out via Model Rails Facebook page:

UPDATE: Model Rail is now working with Bachmann Europe to design and produce our exclusive 'OO' gauge SR USA Tank. Revised delivery schedules will be announced as the project proceeds, but all other details, such as numbers/liveries etc stay the same. All pre-orders remain unaffected too. We'll bring you more updates on the model as it develops. Pre-orders for all four 'Batch 1' models are very strong, especially so for the two BR models and advance ordering is recommended even at this early stage. Further versions will be added in due course, covering all major livery variations across military, industrial, BR and preservation eras. Look out in Model Rail for updates over the coming months and thanks for your patience and enthusiasm!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Last time this happened with Kernows Thumper it took four years one month from placing my order to delivery. Hope it's not going to be that long.

You're one of the lucky ones. I pre-ordered one of the versions not yet produced so am still waiting - and still no news even to confirm they are going ahead.

As I've said previously, Model Rail's aim is to deliver the 'USA' and any other projects in the most timely fashion possible. The longer any project takes, the longer we must wait for a return on our investment. Nevertheless, good products take time to develop and patience is a virtue.

CHRIS LEIGH

• RMweb Gold

Let's be fair to everyone, chaps. We in the West think we have the market for lots of exotic models, and there are certainly several energetic entrepreneurs who can identify and commission stonkingly-good products, with the best development resources and unprecedented attention to detail. That's the - almost - easy bit. Even the biggest players in our (tiny) industry struggle to bring products to market because of the complexity of the Chinese manufacturing base, its capacity and its cultural differences.

Infuriating - but a fact of life as I see it.

• 1 month later...

Any update on the spec for this model?

With the transfer to Bachmann, as we going to lose the heavy tungsten chassis in favour of cheapy mazak?

Similarly will the All-wheen direct drive to the motor survive? Experience with the BWT really shows the enhanced stability of running with direct drive rather than relying on (necessarily slack) coupling rods.