Members Day 2012

Andy Y

Sam and I had a great time. The food was wonderful, and I thoroughly enjoyed meeting and chinnwagging with everyone. Just a little sad that we left a little early at just before 3:00pm because we had to get home to avoid the wrath of our respective other halves.

We will certainly try and make it next year. If Andy wants us to, we can certainly chuck a layout in the back of the car and bring that too.

Hi Andy,

We couldn't find you before we left so I wanted to say thanks to you and the team for the members day. We thoroughly enjoyed it again. Unbeatable value for money.

Regards, Andy

• RMweb Premium

Once again a splendid day out , well worth the travel from Somerset , there should be no excuses

for missing this event if at all possible .

A big thank you to Andy and all who put this social exhibition together , to me that is what it is , there

is so much more interaction between people than you can ever get at a normal show . This is more

along the lines of a multi layout club night ,

Nice to meet a few more members who's work I admire on these pages , and catch up with some from

previous meetings , And thanks to those that answered my questions and have given me some fresh

ideas .

As mentioned the food was brilliant so thanks again to those that were involved in that area , and that

chocolate cake was indeed superb .

Roll on next year .

Forgot to say thanks to John for the super name badges , so much better than sticky labels .

Just finished unloading Pen Y Bont and putting away. Need to do some small repairs to some of the stock, Vac pipes and lamps etc come adrift but apart from thhat all back in store OK.

Also just downloaded the contents of my camera, some shots were a bit poor because of slow shutter speed in the ambient light and no tripod, but, here's a few that just about pass muster.

post-6768-0-45862900-1341743075.jpg

post-6768-0-53392300-1341743122.jpg

post-6768-0-65144100-1341743147.jpg

post-6768-0-44499700-1341743176.jpg

post-6768-0-48254200-1341743214.jpg

post-6768-0-47610800-1341743249.jpg

Jaymes (Newfish) gets to grips with 3 links, instanters & scew couplings!

post-6768-0-74332200-1341743311.jpg

A couple of interlopers!

The first ever diesel to run on Pen Y Bont!

post-6768-0-40653100-1341743336.jpg

How did this one get here?

post-6768-0-30230500-1341743373.jpg

Cheers!

Frank

M2.jpg

It's difficult to know where to begin when drafting a note of thanks as so much is owed to so many over the course of the event but I'll try it chronologically and give a view behind the scenes as to what happens during the event.

Constant support for me over the weekend came from my son, Harry, and my good mate Chris which started with an early arrival at the hall about 5.30 on Friday evening to start placing tables, chairs and electrical supplies which was quickly sorted. My wife, Wendy, and Chris's wife, Jane, got stuck into setting up the field kitchen. Meanwhile the New Haden crew headed up by Mark Forrest, Old Gringo were loading a slice of North Staffordshire into the hire van helped by Colin and team at the Stafford Railway Circle's clubroom; Colin then spent a while helping at the hall with more 'stuff' whilst the NHC team is bolstered by Geoff and Nigel. So with one layout largely together further arrivals follow from lousy journeys from all points of the compass, Paul and Mike delayed on the A1/M1 with Greyscroft Mine, Andi and Rich with Ravensclyffe in just about the worst hire van known to man from Gloucs, Richard, Joanne and Liam with Orchard Road from Barnstaple, Andy and Jill in the motorhome from Pembrokeshire having been stranded in acccident strewn Shrewsbury for most of the afternoon, Phil and the Abbotswood team again from a soggy Gloucestershire and very last but by no means least Julia arrives after a 5 hour trip from Oxfordshire to meet up with Andy. By the way; nice legs Julia!

Well done to all for battling through that and a late set up and a minor crisis in terms of main entrance access presents itself due to the adjacent beach party. After we call it a day with set-up at 10.30 I tried to negotiate access arrangements with a club secretary somewhat the worse for wear from beer intake and Chris, Harry and I depart around 10.45.

An early arrival at 7.15 to negotiate terms with site security pays dividends in providing access and parking for remaining arrivals, maybe the promise of breakfast and lunch for him helped a little. Whilst set-up continues Wendy, Jane and Harry prepare the oatcake breakfast for 8.30 arrival which seemed to go down well enough. A thank you to all other exhibitors and demonstrators for a good set-up which meant we were really ready for business not far after 9.00. Thank you to Nick for point arrivals in the right direction, Richard, Samuel and Colin and other willing chaps for helping arrivals unload.

It was already warm and humid as the weather gods smiled as ever on Members' Day, the only drawback being that it's not possible to get any south-facing ventilation into the hall itself which meant it was quite clammy but I didn't notice any odour issues! The hall gradually gets busier as members arrive from around the country, Scotland, Mid-Wales, Devon, Sussex, Yorkshire, Lancashire and London just to mention a few.

Whilst that's all underway Wendy, Jane and Jill continue with trying to process 200 baked potatoes through a domestic double oven and prepare the hot food for transporting down back to the hall. They arrive bang on cue to serve at 1.00 with a somewhat hungry cluster of visitors ready to pounce on the serveries. Some commented that they didn't feel the hall was as busy but more provision for non-exhibit areas was made than last year and the food consumption rate either there were more visitors than last year, or they were very hungry in the warmth. Thankfully there were no complaints about the chilli!

The girls then get a bit of a break after clearing up for about 45 minutes before setting up for afternoon tea with a selection of excellent cakes provided by members, particular thanks to Emma and Mark, Derek, Paul amongst many.

Closing the event at 4.00 brought another frantic burst of activity as the hall empties and everyone gets on with it with no complaints despite the limited access issue through the single fire exit and the side doors. The final parts of Ravenslyffe leave the room a mere 20 seconds after our official hand-back time of 5.30 - a super effort.

After unloading essential out of the vehicles back home a weary crew couldn't face feeding ourselves so we headed out for someone else to cater for us in the shape of a Chinese. Aching feet found welcome beds apart from Wendy who, too hot to sleep or rest, cleaned all of the incoming stuff and the mess that we'd turned the house into over the previous day or two.

Thank you to all of the exhibitors and demonstrators; everyone seemed to enjoy the day and the feedback from visitors was very good - I was immensely impressed by the quality of the day put on based on goodwill and endeavour for the fun of the hobby. Thank you to everyone who played a part, large or small and thank you to those who made the foort to come out in unpredicatable weather. Sadly some couldn't make it and they probably feel the frustration more than most but for anyone who didn't make the effort you did miss out on one the best days in the hobby. Chris Dufill who runs Model Railways Live will be producing a video overview of the day and I'm sure he'll be along with that in a few days. The most important thank you at the tail of this is to Warners for ensuring such events as this continue under the RMweb banner following the 'takeover'! Such events make a statement about RMweb as a community and that Warners are there as a real part of the hobby in this country.

And so the cycle begins again whilst I try to look at some different angles for next year!

M1.jpg

From fifty miles away I can hear Andy screaming.

And you may also hear me screaming that I'd neglected to thank you and Sandy for the badges yesterday; they worked superbly well in helping communication between folk. I know quite a few folk have held on to them for future events. Excellent!

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks Andy for another day of excellent organisation - although all I had to do was turn up with a cardboard box and unpack it in a matter of minutes. And something definitely improved in either my organisation (most likely) or the event's as this year I actually got some of the excellent chilli. I might manage a piece of cake as well next year if I'm invited back :O

Great, as ever, to meet people who have become 'old friends' while also adding faces to screen names from a number of new ones who happily joined the queue (sorry about that for those who had to wait) and a special thanks to John for producing the name badges which allowed even those of us with 'mature' eyesite to recognise who we were talking to. There is inevitably a lot of talk on this thread about the layouts which Andy had gathered for the day but we shouldn't overlook the fact that he has also created a marvellous 'people day' where members of RMweb have a great opportunity to get together and talk about their hobby exchanging ideas and learning from each other in the spirit of the very best sort of 'club'. It is good to know too, from Andy's words above, that Warners' value days such as this and that Andy's ideas of the what such a day should do is continuing in its very positive contribution to our hobby. Thanks again Andy.

PS Early information on next year's date would be welcome to facilitate the hotel booking (and if you could avoid the Potters' Holiday fortnight in Stoke I can see certain personally selfish advantages ;) ).

And you may also hear me screaming that I'd neglected to thank you and Sandy for the badges yesterday; they worked superbly well in helping communication between folk. I know quite a few folk have held on to them for future events. Excellent!

You thanked us by accepting the offer to make badges, which was enough. You topped that by thanking us publicly on the day. You don't need to say more, but thanks for saying it. We enjoyed doing it. Thanks for staging the event.

Now onto matters about it being a two day affair. It works at the moment because And has a team of willing SAWs (Slaves, Aquaintances and Widows) who, as others have commented, make the event run. They provide breakfast, lunch and afternoon tea to a couple of hiundred people. I don;t thinik I'd like to ask any one of them to do that for double the time. For one thing the catering's a week or more in preparation. They don;t have parallel teams or facities (think 200 baked spuds once and you have a problem, Repeat that the day after and you have a revolt.)

But catering apart (and you can't leave that out) what about the rest of us who toiurn up for our stint? It's a community event (www.rmweb.co.uk/community)and the members of that community make it run. It's not a show. Or an exhibition. It's more of a seminar. Or conference. Why? Because the members of the community know of each other before they attend the day. They've read each other's posts, benefited from advice freely given, laughed at the jokes (or groaned as the case may be) and thus have an introduction when they finally do meet. A case in point of this - we met GWRROB for the first time - last night he provided me with two book references I didn't know about. Thanks, Robin.

Now what I've described is very different from a show or exhibition. There're you're a paying attendee. You largely haven't had contact with other people attending or running the show - that's the difference. The catering is largely contracted out. You have expectations because it has a certain amount of commerce about it.

But what about the people with the railways? Often they're exhibited in partially complete form. We've seen them online being built. We've shared in the frustrations - we may have had input in how it's gone so far. The partially complete would rarely be tolerated at a show where peoiple paid to get in to see trains run. And at the RMweb day if people stop and chat for a long period and trains don't run then it's no matter as you can join in the conversation (as you already 'know' the people involved). Try that at a 'show' and the exhibition manager will have a few words to say as the paying public expect to see trains running.

Now this ramble does have a point. (and thanks for staying to read it if you have). The community event is staffed and run by the community. It's one that Andy has built up and fostered over the years. It works as a one day event. It wouldn't be able to work as a two day event because of the pressures on the community being able to run it in the way that's proven to work well. It ain't broke. Let's not try to fix it.

[EDIT] Something I meant to say. Andy had to disappear for stretches. He was transporting food, I understand. I just hope that he got some chance to talk trains at some point during the day.

• RMweb Gold

Well not long back home in not very sunny Lincolnshire having left RMWeb towers full of bacon butties!. Had a brilliant but very tiring weekend As Andy has said Friday night was all about setting up the hall for the following day. This was a great help as it meant that unlike last year we had a head start on the day. It was also helped no end by the fact that we didn't have to move a couple of hundred chairs to start with! I did mean to take some photos of the setting up but what with helping to carry stuff in from the arriving exhibitors and arranging table and chairs I forgot. Interesting nonetheless to see the transformation from an almost bare hall to the place with the two largest layouts and a couple of others as well. Sadly I left my camera at RMWeb towers so will have to post my pictures when Andy kindly posts the camera back to me. Doh!

Andy has mentioned the many who turned up to help on both the Friday evening and early on Saturday so no point me repeating it other than to add my very sincere thanks to you all. When you see the willingness of all to chip in and help whether it was for lugging layouts and assorted paraphernalia in, sorting car parking or just those that offered to wash up after (wish I took you up on it now) that for me is what makes members day what it is. None of the bickering and moaning and plenty of people talking about all* aspects of the hobby along with quality layouts AND free food and drink no wonder the day went so well.

Being a very small part of the team (pot washer and filler of T urn) I have seen first hand what goes into the catering side of the day again. Wendy, Gill and my good wife Jane worked themselves to a frazzle but I know their efforts were appreciated by the many people that I spoke to. I would just like to add my own personal gratitude for a massive effort by them and although we were all knackered with aching feet without your help the day would not be the same.

Andy of course has worked for many months building up to a frenetic week tearing around buying all the food and other things needed on the day. His efforts were rewarded I am sure by the amount of enjoyment all had on the day. I actually thought he had done so well I even told him where his Barra Brith cake kindly transported and purchased by Two Tone Green was after 'someone' hid it!

Last and certainly not least I would like to thank all that turned up on the day and helped to make the day the success it was. All the build up and work on the day would be nothing without you and it is a tribute to the forum that the members days go from strength to strength. Looking forward to whatever Andy decides to organise next year.

* Including Missy's legs which I did teke pictures of but they are in my camera at Andy's so you will just have to wait for them! :mosking:

Regards Chris

• RMweb Premium

I just want to add my voice to those thanking Andy, the catering crew, helpers and all the exhibitors for a great day. As ever some top notch modelling on show made all the better by the friendliness of everyone there.

Railways around Wolverhampton I think.

Correct words, Robin, but in reverse order. The book that was open on the Black Country Blues layout and from which we are using three photos as references for ideas is: "Wolverhampton's Railways in Colour" by Simon Dewey, first published by Simon Dewey 2010 on behalf of the Severn Valley Railway (Wolverhampton branch). 80 pages of great colour photos and some copies were on sale in Kidderminster Railway Museum last Thursday.

(edit: I see that while I've been two-finger typing Andy Y has already added a link for the book - maybe every RMwebber's home should have a copy?!)

Damian has just set off home with his well-packed trailer full of the infant "Black Country Blues" and Chris is busy reading the "Members Day" thread, on his phone somewhere! (I wonder if Gill knows what he's up to?). I've just sat down at the computer and read through all the messages since yesterday and would just like to say thanks to Andy and the team for another superb and extremely enjoyable "Members' Day".

I can't believe that twelve months have passed so quickly since last year, but the sentiments remain exactly the same. Thanks very much for organising such a great day. As you probably know, I never stopped talking, excepting when I was enjoying some super food. Thanks to Wendy (and Harry), Chris and all the rest of the team who made the day happen. What a really magic day it was - such a brilliant atmosphere and as Mike (the Stationmaster) says great to meet old friends and hopefully make some new ones too..

It really was a super day, roll on next time.

All the very best,

John.

Hi all,

Just got back from an excellent day in Stafford and yet another chance to meet so many of the faceless names that appear on here.

Big big thanks to Andy, his wife and fellow helpers for making such a massive effort for those exhibiting, doing demos etc and all those who made the effort to attend as well.

I enjoyed chatting to new friends and old and I hope I managed to pass on some useful info and help those toying with the idea of using the PC to assist them operate their layout.

The day went by so fast and like last years event I did not get more than five minutes at the end to have a look around just as the time to pack up was upon us.

Name badge put away for next year and I promise that next time I will have a small demo working layout to show what RR&Co can do.

Thanks again Andy & Co, fantastic day.

How many days to next year.

Oh, one more thing. Chris are you doing the raffle next year ?

• RMweb Premium

I think that another "me too" post is just a little of an understatement for me, as I had one of the most enjoyable model railway experience of my modelling career thus far, and I went back home after the member's day with much to inspire and encourage me to pursue our mutual hobby, and for almost the first time ever, a feeling that perhaps I can do something similar to what I saw and admired yesterday. To see some of the work that I have followed in threads, blogs and in the monthlies was very exciting, and to meet and chat on a most informal level with the builders of the layouts, and locos/rolling stock.

The only low spot for me was the cretinous driver of the 825 bus who didn't know where (or didn't bother to tell me) where to get off, resulting in a walk almost equal to the distance from the station - however, Mr Arriva will be getting an irate call.

High spots were numerous, and in no particular order and with apologies to those I miss were the total informality of the day - even though I had never met anybody before, it was still like greeting old friends. The food/drink were without doubt a major contribution to the day - wonderful show there at lunch and cake time! Seeing one of my locos working (a surprise in itself) and turning up on Pen-y-Bont and now on here. Seeing Ian's Duke, and "What if" 8F which I have wanted to see in the flesh, and ditto Tim's Stanier 2-6-0 - but I won't insult any layout exhibitor by singling out any one layout as being the high spot - every one had something to offer and a lovely mix of eras/scales and a mix of DCC and DC. I was also very impressed to see what can be achieved by the new 3D printing processes - with a bit of tweaking, that seems like a route to near perfect models in 2mm!

A couple of personal words of thanks. Andy for making sure that my insulin was kept safe but accessible in a fairly warm hall, and also for making sure that a by now Knack*red 45156 got back to the station safely and in the dry, and Chris who was my chauffeur.

All in all, a brilliant day, and nothing like anything I've ever been to before. Well worth the worry over the weather/conditions as to "Will I or won't I"

.... meanwhile over on Highclere Pixie was willing more DG coupled wagons into existence..

Doing my best podgy table cloth impression too.

Give it another 12 months and I'm sure we'll be able string a complete loop of wagons around Highclere.... and then one day operate Highclere prototypically as it so desparatley deserves.

Pix

• RMweb Premium

Doing my best prodgy table cloth impression too.

Give it another 12 months and I'm sure we'll be able string a complete loop of wagons around Highclere.... and then one days operate Highclere prototypically as it so desparatley deserves!

Pix

What I used to run as a "continuous welded train" - all the locos and all the stock going roundy roundy LOL

Andy congratulations to you and everyone else involved in the marvellous day! Even my two lady companions were bowled over,esp when one had a go at operating!

After I got home I realised that the lack of barriers was a major pluspoint to me in my wheelchair and enabled me to converse with operators.

All in all wonderful and I do hope there is another next year.

Gavin

Archived