RMweb

The human side of the railway...

• RMweb Premium

Clitheroe Cement Works and the last train worked by Ray (can't recall his surname) from Healey Mills before retirement.

post-408-0-68159100-1363475825_thumb.jpg

Ray was well known for stopping the light engine on the return to Healey Mills next to golf courses to collect errant balls........

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Class 47 Diesel number 47 981 at Cricklewood on 20th July 1997.  What are all those guys in the background doing?

2977-L.jpg

Oops...

2976a-L.jpg

This may take a while to sort out...

2976-L.jpg

Good job I brought my grab bag with some sandwiches as this may go on a while!

2976b-L.jpg

With two lines already blocked with a relaying job having this in the dirt blocking the remaining open lines was no fun.  How many buses does it take to carry everyone from London to St Albans on a Sunday...

• Like 15

With two lines already blocked with a relaying job having this in the dirt blocking the remaining open lines was no fun.  How many buses does it take to carry everyone from London to St Albans on a Sunday...

Thanks NCK ... another normal day on Thameslink!!!I I remember it well.

I decided to accompany a fairly new RPI to Kings Cross and back a couple of times in case he encountered any problems and also encourage him to issue penalty fares [not tickets] as he would have me as a backup instead of catching up with my paperwork ... bad choice ... as we approached Mill Hill a pager message came through regarding the Cricklewood derailment. Detrained all the 'happy' punters at Mill Hill from a full and standing train and the unit then used the emergency crossover to access the down slow platform. Went up to speak to the driver who told me he was to run empty to Bedford. Agreed with him that if control would make a sensible decision after I rang them that he would run as an all stations stopper to return the punters to their starting station as their day out was ruined.

Control refused and we spent a 'happy' few hours until buses arrived with hundreds of unhappy people as the few buses that did arrive after an hour or so would only head to London.

Darned privatised railway never got any better!

Mark

Good job I brought my grab bag with some sandwiches as this may go on a while!

Edited by new puritan
  • Like 1

The High-Viz vest in its heyday....

attachicon.gifscan0030.jpg

Discharged tanks from Skipton for Ellesmere Port depart Warrington Bank Quay behind 40129, 14/6/83

cheers

Given that it's June - I'm surprised there aren't a couple stripped to the waist with the hv vest worn as a pair of shorts..................

oh wait - it's Warrington

• Like 1

A couple more examples of "weathered" HV vests

attachicon.gif011.jpg

attachicon.gif012.jpg

Birkenhead North Ca 1991

I think i will do a 4mm version of the figure  in the wooly hat .Priceless .Some one has asked me  for a "something in orange" figure  master .It will also be versatile as it can also "not be in orange" too .Pose will be fairly static .thanks for posting it .I keep tabs on this thread for  figure ideas.Keep em coming .

Edited by alfsboy

I think i will do a 4mm version of the figure  in the wooly hat .Priceless .Some one has asked me  for a "something in orange" figure  master .It will also be versatile as it can also "not be in orange" too .Pose will be fairly static .thanks for posting it .I keep tabs on this thread for  figure ideas.Keep em coming .

And I know him from my days with the S&T. But what was his name, you forget these things when you retire !

Merf.

And I know him from my days with the S&T. But what was his name, you forget these things when you retire !

Merf.

Colin Brown, He moved to the Chester area a while ago but I haven't spoken to him for years (the last time was most probably while resetting axle counters at Shotwick Sidings for the Wrexham line).

• Like 1

Colin Brown, He moved to the Chester area a while ago but I haven't spoken to him for years (the last time was most probably while resetting axle counters at Shotwick Sidings for the Wrexham line).

That's him. He hasn't changed a bit.  I worked with him at Chester a while back, but not seen him since I finished. 

Thanks Keith for reviving my memory.

Merf.