Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

1 hour ago, simontaylor484 said:

I used to prefer Eurotrash

Bono Estente, Boutros Boutros Ghali.

A fe fe fe fe fe, Chris Waddle!

Different types of programme.

You do realise that the woman doing the weather and the newsreaders was a joke about foreigners whereas Eurotrash was real foreigners? :prankster:

spacer.png

Scorchio!

• Like 6
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

You do realise that the woman doing the weather and the newsreaders was a joke about foreigners whereas Eurotrash was real foreigners?

There was another aspect to that as well, I thought: making fun of the way that you think you hear odd English words when you’re listening to a language that you don’t know. 
Ten deros muchos bonkos hinky sminky pinky meth-eth-eth-eth-eth-eth-eth-eth-eth-eth-eth Nelson Mandela win on penalties.

• Like 3

Your references are meaningless to me having never seen the programme in question.

As for Eurotrash, I once had the misfortune t see an episode and I thought it was the biggest waste of electricity I had ever encountered and couldn't believe anyone could enjoy such mind-numbing stupidity. A half an hour (or whatever of it was) of my life wasted that I would never get back.

steve

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Eurotrash was only really understandable / enjoyable if you'd been to the pub for 3 hours before....

The fun in the Fast Show was knowing the characters' catch phrases and anticipating when the would come into the sketch. Sometimes they would throw you by changing things, like Rowley Birkin the drunken QC telling how he'd married the daughter of an Amazon chief, ending with "Of course, I was completely off my head on poisonous tree frogs!"

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

6 minutes ago, Ramblin Rich said:

Eurotrash was only really understandable / enjoyable if you'd been to the pub for 3 hours before....

Or if you'd lived in Europe and seen their TV.   I thought it was brilliant.  I'd seen Antoine de Caunes on his French show (Nulle part ailleurs) and he is a very clever, very funny man.

• Agree 3

Yep. Post pub TV. Thursday to Sunday from about 10 til 2am on BBC2, ITV and Channel Four.

Took off at some point in the mid 1980s and seemed to disappear in the late 1990s. Loads of comedy, music and films.  They also had the original American Gladiators and the WWF Wrestling before it became popular.

Jason

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, steve1 said:

Can we have a "baffled" button please? I could use it for the post above.

steve

It's a mis-quote from a Sean Bean line in Lord of the rings -'One does not simply walk into Mordor' - much copied and parodied for all sorts of reasons.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?ei=YGBfX4jsN5Gj1fAPw6KrMA&q=one+does+not+simply&oq=one+does+not+simply&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQAzICCAAyAggAMgIIADICCAAyAggAMgIIADICCAAyAggAMgIIADICCAA6BAgAEEc6BggAEAcQHjoECAAQDVCYZVjfamDxb2gAcAV4AIABYIgBugOSAQE1mAEAoAEBqgEHZ3dzLXdpesgBCMABAQ&sclient=psy-ab&ved=0ahUKEwiInPui0ejrAhWRURUIHUPRCgYQ4dUDCAw&uact=5#spf=1600086128151

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, steve1 said:

Can we have a "baffled" button please? I could use it for the post above.

steve

Turning it upside down, doesn't help either (CTRL ALT Down arrow on a Windows PC). To save you the bother of turning the monitor over!