The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

I avoid recipes that include flour, as the mess it makes in the kitchen is unacceptable, though for a while I did make bread in a breadmaker, which you could tip the flour into fairly safely.  Gave that up because of the wastage of bread, because the stuff went stale before I could finish a loaf and I like my bread thinner sliced than I could cut it.  Before I moved to my current address, I had a local baker who would slice it for me if I bought a couple of buns off him, but there isn't one in this area willing to do that.  All the same, I'm thinking about buying another breadmaker, or some baking tins, and trying mini-loaves this time.  Difficult to justify the cost, though, with Lidl just up the road selling perfectly cromulent (crumbulent?) wholemeal sliced at 36p a loaf, which will last more than 36 hours before going stale because of the preservatives, yay added chemicals..

• RMweb Gold

Had a great evening in Stourbridge watching John Richardson performing a ‘work in progress’ set in readiness for his national tour later in the year 

Certainly made me smile

CBB93E06-4774-4C9F-A487-FA5747D4BA90.thumb.jpeg.286280dedb9710e300f7fe361a2501c3.jpeg

3751390E-8F8B-443B-A58E-DEFA5670C289.thumb.jpeg.9a2e93b15c7eec37f2a9d2f9328d51b8.jpeg

2E194F2F-BA6D-4490-9A9F-EC1C6BBE3BC7.thumb.jpeg.ddd69fa45ca175d43f4ad9ee19e728c2.jpeg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, The Johnster said:

I avoid recipes that include flour, as the mess it makes in the kitchen is unacceptable, though for a while I did make bread in a breadmaker, which you could tip the flour into fairly safely.  Gave that up because of the wastage of bread, because the stuff went stale before I could finish a loaf and I like my bread thinner sliced than I could cut it.  Before I moved to my current address, I had a local baker who would slice it for me if I bought a couple of buns off him, but there isn't one in this area willing to do that.  All the same, I'm thinking about buying another breadmaker, or some baking tins, and trying mini-loaves this time.  Difficult to justify the cost, though, with Lidl just up the road selling perfectly cromulent (crumbulent?) wholemeal sliced at 36p a loaf, which will last more than 36 hours before going stale because of the preservatives, yay added chemicals..

We used to have a breadmaker, we made bread because my eldest had dairy triggered ADHD.

So to get away from the use of milk in the shop bought bread, we made our own, we used

olive oil in place of the butter, it made a lovely, soft loaf, which lasted much longer than usual,

because there was no butter to go off.

I highly recommend you try it!

Edited by jcm@gwr
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, Hroth said:

I've still got a roll somewhere.  No idea why my parents bought the stuff, other than that it was advertised as "medicated" and that the alternatives might be cut up newspaper or "soft" toilet paper that was more like blotting paper...

As a child, I think we were convinced that the main uses for the stuff were as tracing paper or for comb kazoos!

I also don't remember which side was to be used for wiping, the glossy or the plain...

both sides hurt!!

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 17/06/2022 at 23:30, Cowley 47521 said:

C63256E6-9FB4-47EC-8B55-5A878EB8CC8B.jpeg.6b651794f745a30f5cdcbba0933d51e7.jpeg

Things we can do:

- Be Your Hero, Baby

- See For Miles

- Sing A Rainbow

- See Clearly Now The Rain Has Gone

- Boogie

- Dream About You

- Hear Music

Etc etc

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Asda wonderful search again:

Top items, it gets worse...

rice.JPG.3966804ac4b85a3754d32e888803c03d.JPG

Their search is the absolute pits with totally different classes of items regularly suggested, as above.

Edited by melmerby
  • Friendly/supportive 2

3 hours ago, melmerby said:

Asda wonderful search again:

Top items, it gets worse...

rice.JPG.3966804ac4b85a3754d32e888803c03d.JPG

Their search is the absolute pits with totally different classes of items regularly suggested, as above.

A colleague of mine recently had an Asda order which included number candles for her son's 10th birthday cake. So, she asked for a 1 and a 0. Asda didn't have a 1 so they substituted a 4.

THEY LIVE AMONG US

• Agree 1
  • Funny 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, CameronL said:

A colleague of mine recently had an Asda order which included number candles for her son's 10th birthday cake. So, she asked for a 1 and a 0. Asda didn't have a 1 so they substituted a 4.

THEY LIVE AMONG US

To be fair, you could cut off the angled and horizontal legs of the 4 to give a 1... 🤔

• Agree 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 1

8 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Can't remember the brewery but I was drinking Treacle Pudding & Custard Stout the other day.

A bit like the Christmas Pudding beers, but not spicy.

Aldi do a very nice Plum Porter, and also a Sticky Toffee Ale, both very nice!

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Hroth said:

According to the French, it should taste of roast beef, but its more likely to be pork flavoured...

Depends whether they had a curry the night before..........

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Hroth said:

According to the French, it should taste of roast beef, but its more likely to be pork flavoured...

Are you sure? I reckon it would be more likely to be horse flavoured... 😉

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, jcredfer said:

Works the other way round, too.....    "Just because you are offensive, doesn't mean you are right, either."

But some people are right - and offensive.................

🙃

• Agree 2