The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, newbryford said:

Upon closer inspection, whilst stationary at the accompanying traffic lights, it's a bit more obvious that the right arrow is pointing towards the side road visible in the pic.

In that case the arrow shouldn't the arrow be horizontal? (telling traffic to go up the side road)

As it is it means pass either side to get to the same destination.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, melmerby said:

In that case the arrow shouldn't the arrow be horizontal? (telling traffic to go up the side road)

As it is it means pass either side to get to the same destination.

No it doesn't.

Pass either side to get to same destination is a single sign with two arrows on it like this:

sign-giving-order-vehicle-pass-either-si

Two separate signs denote two separate routes.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Titan said:

No it doesn't.

Pass either side to get to same destination is a single sign with two arrows on it like this:

sign-giving-order-vehicle-pass-either-si

Two separate signs denote two separate routes.

But it's wrong.

It means pass to the right of the obstruction, not turn right so effectively is the same as the sign you have posted.

Edited by melmerby

2 hours ago, melmerby said:

But it's wrong.

It means pass to the right of the obstruction, not turn right so effectively is the same as the sign you have posted.

No, the meaning of the signs is specifically different. The turn right sign (horizontal arrow) is an order i.e. you must turn right. This also means that it cannot be used with any other sign, as another sign would contradict that mandatory order. i.e. you only use it when the only option is to turn right. Clearly this is not the situation here. In this situation there is no ideal sign, but all alternatives that they could have used would be more wrong, including horizontal arrows or the pass either side to get to same destination (which does not mean the same as two separate signs) . So they have signed it as best as possible within the limitations of the highway code. You can pass to left and go straight on, or you can pass to the right to take the turning.

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, Titan said:

No, the meaning of the signs is specifically different. The turn right sign (horizontal arrow) is an order i.e. you must turn right. This also means that it cannot be used with any other sign, as another sign would contradict that mandatory order. i.e. you only use it when the only option is to turn right. Clearly this is not the situation here. In this situation there is no ideal sign, but all alternatives that they could have used would be more wrong, including horizontal arrows or the pass either side to get to same destination (which does not mean the same as two separate signs) . So they have signed it as best as possible within the limitations of the highway code. You can pass to left and go straight on, or you can pass to the right to take the turning.

I have seen that sign when the RH lane is turn Right and the LH lane is straight on, so that is wrong?

Normally I would have expected a temporary sign saying  "Acccess to XXX Road" with an arrow on the sign pointing right, so I maintain that sign is wrong as it means pass the obstruction on the right. (not turn right)

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, peter220950 said:

Driving out of the Care Home I was visiting yesterday I was bemused by the keypad for the driver to operate the barrier.

Why does it need to be in braille?

IMG_20190514_130349_818.jpg

For drivers of German cars, or chavs so they can carry on texting at the wheel?

Mike

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, peter220950 said:

Driving out of the Care Home I was visiting yesterday I was bemused by the keypad for the driver to operate the barrier.

Why does it need to be in braille?

IMG_20190514_130349_818.jpg

If someone is driving a left-hand drive car and their passenger (who will have to operate the keypad) is blind.

On 17/05/2019 at 09:49, Metr0Land said:

rev red label tea.jpg

It may have been Photo-Shopped rather than..

REdSainsTeaX.jpg.db845f596ae8b2d479e9aa323bc93871.jpg

Now it seems a wee bit more likely..

Edited by Bill
Missing Image