The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

Guest CLARENCE
2 hours ago, Phil Howe said:

I love the first comment on this page; "could of," "should of," "would of!"  Coupled with all the grammatical and spelling errors, the only place Andrew could have used "of" correctly, he didn't!

I know that its all to late to do something about this but i do strongly think that the council should of taken in to fact that they were a number to ways to of kept the art deco building. my grandad worked there for 15 years and he would of been horified that they have pulled down a part of derby. SAVE OUR BUILDINGS BEFORE IT TO LATE!!!! The station could of been restored to its orignal state. it could of been made into a visiter centre filled with classic busses of the 1930s.
Andrew

Cheers

Phil

When, oh when, are the pedants going to STOP reading everything looking for spelling/grammar faults. It's very annoying to read through a topic, and find several people complaining about/deriding other people's spelling, etc. Please can we just concentrate on the content of contributions. We all have something useful to say, even if we can't always say it in perfect English.

3 hours ago, CLARENCE said:

When, oh when, are the pedants going to STOP reading everything looking for spelling/grammar faults. It's very annoying to read through a topic, and find several people complaining about/deriding other people's spelling, etc. Please can we just concentrate on the content of contributions. We all have something useful to say, even if we can't always say it in perfect English.

Which is okay with minor grammatical or spelling errors, but sometimes it can be difficult to understand what the writer meant. While there are those who struggle with the written word through various conditions such as dyslexia, we owe it to others to communicate as clearly and effectively as we are able.

• Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

Which is okay with minor grammatical or spelling errors, but sometimes it can be difficult to understand what the writer meant. While there are those who struggle with the written word through various conditions such as dyslexia, we owe it to others to communicate as clearly and effectively as we are able.

Unfortunately it seems that a lot of those who post comments on Facebook et al  were the ones at the back of the English class more interested in reading a comic than paying attention.:jester:

• Agree 6

Guest CLARENCE
5 hours ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

we owe it to others to communicate as clearly and effectively as we are able.

Agreed, but what makes you think we are not all  trying to do just that? I believe in giving everyone the benefit of the doubt; we can usually work what people mean. If not, then we can politely ask for clarity, without being rude to/about folk.

Edited by CLARENCE
spelling

Well

8 hours ago, CLARENCE said:

Agreed, but what makes you think we are not all  trying to do just that? I believe in giving everyone the benefit of the doubt; we can usually work what people mean. If not, then we can politely ask for clarity, without being rude to/about folk.

Well, despite missing out one word, I get what you are saying. Although why you consider being honest by saying you can't understand what someone has written is rudeness, I don't understand.

• Agree 1