Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hattons Model Railways of Widnes (formerly Liverpool).

tractor_37260

• RMweb Gold

I don't think people are actually kicking Hattons, just wondering / concerned where their order is.  Like many others I placed an order on the 25th, and like others the order does not show up on my Hattons account. 

Again, like others I have contacted Hattons to be told that they are checking if the items I ordered are actually in stock, 7 days later, with money already debited from my account I may add. 

It's not kicking Hattons, just genuine concern.

I also placed an order on 25th and the money was debited from my card on 26th.  In my case, the order appeared in the "Your Invoices" section, and was apparently picked on Friday.  As of now, "Your Invoices" states "Despatched", while "Your Orders" shows it as status "Open" which implies that it hasn't been shipped yet.  I also received the email quoted above this morning.

Hopefully my order is in a parcel awaiting collection by Royal Mail this evening...?

I placed an order on Friday before 9am.  One item was a DMU (more than 10 in stock, etc) and the other two were coaches (Limited stock, 3 items) which count went down to 1 after placing my order.  All well and good, and the confirmation email arrived at 08:51.  I expected the order procesed email to arrive in short order, as it usually does, but it  didn't.  Well, I thought, it'll kick off on Monday morning then I got the Dispatch Update email at 12:30.

I expect the sticking point will be the coaches, as they are no longer listed whilst the DMU is.

I think a problem that Hattons has with its software is that sometimes it loses count and in low stock conditions that may mean that they're offering stock that no longer exists.  Something similar happened when I ordered a Bachmann Coal Tank some months ago.

Oh well, wait and see, eh?

• RMweb Premium

Nice to see people taking delight in this.

Why do so many feel a need to kick Hattons, I don't understand it.

We're not taking any delight in this at all. But Hatton's do deserve a kick in the pants for this mess. Clearly their problems are rather more than just the technical issues affecting despatch they have admitted to. And of course it cannot be any fun at all for the staff trying to resolve things - they have my utmost sympathy. But It is when problems like this occur that suppliers are put to the test... and giving repeated promises over the phone, that are not then met is just not the way to engender positive customer response!

I have not had the missive from Richard Davies, but have received an unexpected 'courtesy e-mail' that my stuff has been placed on back-order. Given the state of their stock listing as well (no new stock listed for over a week now) I am still clueless about whether I will receive my order or not!

I'm not taking any delight in this. 

Hattons has been my preferred supplier for many years and I will continue to buy from them in future: their service over the long term has been exemplary.  They made an offer to sell and I thought I had completed the transaction when the price was debited to my credit card.  I am disappointed, that's all.  I fail to understand how stocktaking can show stock for sale on the website.  I did have some doubt and I didn't quite believe that the item I thought I had purchased had suddenly turned up for sale.  If something looks too good to be true then it......

Peterfgf

• Like 1

A pointless, reactionary comment. Many of us on here have been using the company for four decades or more BECAUSE of their previous exemplary service. We just dont want to see that eroded, and are entitled to raise concerns when money is taken and no item is shipped for 11 days and counting, in my case.

Again

A regular Hattons customer here.

Same problems, same email as others have received, order was not showing on the site but is now showing as OPEN, money has been taken.

So I guess all companies have glitches. So no problem, it what it is ...as long as it is resolved in a few days and does not become their standard operating procedure.

I have just checked and part of my order was Peco bullhead track - which now shows that they can not obtain any more of this stock. So we shall see how long it takes for them to sort this out

Edited by SouthernBlue80s

It's the lack of communication that's causing most of the problem. I placed an order 2 weeks ago, not heard a thing about it, other than an email telling me it had dispatched, with a tracking number.

Trouble is, the courier have never heard of it and still no parcel....

It's obvious they've had a few problems with the computer system. It's not like they've done it on purpose as they are probably losing sales due to the problem.

They can't do anything about it late at night and they will probably have to get an IT expert in if it's a serious fault.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport

• RMweb Gold

It does beg the question of why items are shown as in stock when they are not, 'glitchy' computer system or something more sinister?

Sinister?

Come on! You must be joking. Kindly explain what you think is "sinister"

:(

sinister

ˈsɪnɪstə/Submit

adjective

giving the impression that something harmful or evil is happening or will happen.

"there was something sinister about that murmuring voice"

synonyms: menacing, threatening, ominous, forbidding, baleful, frightening, eerie, alarming, disturbing, disquieting, dark, black, suggestive of evil, evil-looking; ill-omened, inauspicious, unpropitious, portentous; eldritch; informalspooky, scary, creepy; rareminatory, minacious, minatorial, bodeful, direful, sinistrous

"there was a sinister undertone in his words"

Edited by Colin_McLeod

Lets maintain a sense of perspective and not get over excited.  "Sinister"? Ye gods!

Remember the days when mail order adverts always bore the caveat "Delivery may take up to 28 days"?

And when we had to wait for cheques to clear before even expecting a vendor to take any action?

AND there was never any communication between vendor and customer until after that 28 days was up and the customer was getting antsy and had written a stroppy letter?

Well, its good to share and compare experiences, so lets keep it at that without getting all apocalyptic!

• RMweb Premium

Remember the days when mail order adverts always bore the caveat "Delivery may take up to 28 days"?

And when we had to wait for cheques to clear before even expecting a vendor to take any action?

AND there was never any communication between vendor and customer until after that 28 days was up and the customer was getting antsy and had written a stroppy letter?

Well, its good to share and compare experiences, so lets keep it at that without getting all apocalyptic!

It's certainly true that our expectations have increased these days.

Some years ago I ordered something from Hattons on a Sunday and paid for the regular delivery. It arrived on the Monday morning. I had no need of such quick delivery and rarely do, and I believe they do offer options for next day delivery should you want to be sure something will come quickly.

However, given that most companies offering on-ilne shipping seem to fall over themselves to ship as quickly as possible it's interesting that Hattons don't seem to be doing so any more.

Their prices are no longer as competitive as they were (not surprising given the reductions in margins at least from Hornby). So they don't currently seem as attractive as they used to be.

I would cut them some slack with stock control though. Especially if you also have a physical shop, it's not just a matter of having the right software - somebody has to consistently do the right thing when things are sold. And this must be particularly difficult with one-off second hand items. There's a good reason that few shops have all their second hand stock available on-line.

Hi

I am not getting over excited. However, I would like to know whether the stock problem has affected all customers or just a few of us. Are Hattons sending anything out at the moment? If so then I realise that the reason my order has not been processed is due to a stock problem with the items I have ordered. If not then Hattons have a major system problem. Hence my question.

I place an order on Monday 25th Sept and sent an e-mail reminder yesterday. I got an immediate reply saying my items would be delivered today by DPD.

Just checked DPD and the order has arrived at their depot. Hopefully will arrive later today.

Mal

No kicking, just stating the facts.

Nothing more.

Again

A regular Hattons customer here.

Same problems, same email as others have received, order was not showing on the site but is now showing as OPEN, money has been taken.

So I guess all companies have glitches. So no problem, it what it is ...as long as it is resolved in a few days and does not become their standard operating procedure.

I have just checked and part of my order was Peco bullhead track - which now shows that they can not obtain any more of this stock. So we shall see how long it takes for them to sort this out

Yes they do.

However this has been going on for quite some time now for it to be a mere glitch.

My first experience of any problem was over a year ago.

I stated way back that something had changed at Hattons & not for the best.

Maybe they've changed their business model or maybe they're having staffing problems ?

Who knows ?

All I know is that some people have been having problems with a company where previously problems were virtually unknown.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi

I am not getting over excited. However, I would like to know whether the stock problem has affected all customers or just a few of us. Are Hattons sending anything out at the moment? If so then I realise that the reason my order has not been processed is due to a stock problem with the items I have ordered. If not then Hattons have a major system problem. Hence my question.

I ordered 5x coaches and one Peco point on Monday 25th last and yesterday I received just the Peco point in a box big enough for the whole order. Seems like the problem is affecting some stuff but not all.

Best thing you can do is ring up Hattons for a status on your order, they can tell you its current status but take any promises made with the requisite pinch of salt.