• RMweb Premium

Hi Mike.

I'm spending very little time on RMweb at the moment and it seems like weeks since I've looked on here. Wow. The photos in post 1367 are really good and I hope you're having a great time playing with the layout, in addition to the serious stuff.

Jeff

Congrats on the Heinz Page :O :no: :no: :no: :no: :no:

:boast: 57 :stinker: .

Hi Andy,

How strange! The old Heinz 57' motto is seldom used nowadays but when I was in Halifax at the weekend the pub attached to the Premier Inn serving breakfast stated you could have as much as you liked from the breakfast AND continental menus, well not being greedy I asked for 3 Sausage, 3 Bacon and 57 Beans! I did get a laugh as the lady was of a certain age to understand. I got more of a laugh when my mate couldn't get the toaster to work and she said: "It only gets turned on if you fiddle with it"

My reply was " Funny the same thing happens to me!"

Hi all,

Busy week doing things that in the main can't easily be seen so here is a gallery of shots taken with more BORROWED stock....

A 2-car Class 108 in a really sensible livery for a train (NOT!) stops for the ever hopeful passenger who had the stamina to climb the 1:5 hill!

post-5296-0-25395400-1412526109.jpg

The following service has a Class 128 attached to the rear.

post-5296-0-83253900-1412526127.jpg

post-5296-0-77847900-1412526149.jpg

post-5296-0-19927000-1412526166.jpg

post-5296-0-33422400-1412526180.jpg

I knew it couldn't last long, the 1:100 incline has had its toll on the 3rd northbound diagram for the Class 108 which has had Class 40, 40012 summoned from Carlisle to assist.

post-5296-0-15925100-1412526195.jpg

post-5296-0-26772500-1412526219.jpg

Busy day for the Class 40's as 40141 heads south with a Glasgow-Nottingham express and passes the stricken recovery operation

post-5296-0-48871900-1412526234.jpg

post-5296-0-18353600-1412526260.jpg

post-5296-0-71543500-1412526283.jpg

Class 40, 40141 heads or the depths of Widdale Tunnel.

More to follow...

Edited by mike61680
  • Like 15

Continued....

post-5296-0-53785500-1412531112.jpg

post-5296-0-64862900-1412531119.jpg

Class 40 40141 thunders over Widdale Beck into Widdale Tunnel

post-5296-0-11664200-1412531128.jpg

post-5296-0-05381700-1412531137.jpg

post-5296-0-30255100-1412531145.jpg

Its Class 40 heaven on the S&C as yet another Class 40, 40012 'AUREOL' follows with a Carlisle-Leeds Semi-Fast. The failed DMU has a doppleganger!

And in best Monty Python style.....Now for something completely different!!!

We have been transported back to pre 1948 and to the days of the old LMS with yet another load of BORROWED stock!

Just some gallery shots of a 3F and 4F with a Midland Compound trundling along through Dent...

post-5296-0-16418800-1412531153.jpg

post-5296-0-30845000-1412531161.jpg

post-5296-0-41456400-1412531169.jpg

post-5296-0-19728400-1412531178.jpg

post-5296-0-54153600-1412531187.jpg

Now an answer to the borrowed' stock. A few of my mates don't as yet have a layout to run things on or they are end-to-end so its mainly to run the loco's in for them but it helps me to test various types as well!

• Like 15

Last lot for today showing at least some of the progress made on the scenics, you could also see some of it on the above posts with the LMS stock if you spotted it!

post-5296-0-71317300-1412532041.jpg

post-5296-0-93259800-1412532050.jpg

post-5296-0-98846500-1412532061.jpg

post-5296-0-29241500-1412532070.jpg

General views showing the shrubs and stunted trees and bushes which now populate the east side of the Fell. I have also been ballasting the remaining plain track leaving the points and slips until I am totally happy with them - which i am not as yet!

Oops! Edit to add:

I have also fully covered the east Fell with a blend of Static grass - how could I forget that! Dipstick! :boast:

Edited by mike61680
  • Like 14

Agree with Andy, Mike, wonderful is the word! Jealous of the stock and amazed by the greenery - even kept Andy happy for now HaHaHa! Thanks also for your post on the other thread (Bitton) about Saltcoats, remember it well along with most of the Ayrshire 'resorts' which I visited with dad!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Edited by Jock67B
  • Like 2

Hi Mike

It's been a while since my last visit and it is good to see the landscape coming together, my favourite bit of any layout if I'm honest.

The static grass and shrubs have now started to add a bit of depth and I look forward to seeing it grow over the next few hours days :mosking:

Jim

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mike,

Thought I'd like to see Andy's comment and found some great pictures of an oft mentioned layout's progress.  Especially pleased and encouraged to see the wire fencing and the propped-up walls - I had made up something similar to the former and thanks to your pictures will now be more willing to employ them.

Cheers, PeterBB

• Like 1

Hi all,

Thanks for the continued encouraging comments, much appreciated.

At the present moment there are a stack of weights on the track awaiting the drying out of the ballast so I doubt there will be many pics until the weekend.

It looks like the weather is changing and very soon the dining room table will be commandeered in preference to heating the whole den for a few hours work in the evening. The first task will be the completion of the main station building.

• Like 4

Hi all,

Not quite cold enough yet to migrate to the comfort of the dining room table so I have started doing a bit on the 'Bothy'. The windows and doors arrived from York Modelmaking together with the signalbox kit so I have fitted those to the ready prepared Perspex structure shell and applied some scrap 0.040" packers in readiness for the Wills Dressed Stone covering. The really annoying thing is I will not be able to see any of these lovely details on the Main Station Building, the Signalbox or the Bothy as they all have the frontage facing away. I did consider facing the whole thing the opposite way but that meant working on it over the high side of the Fell so that thought was consigned to the bin!

Pics will follow possibly tomorrow.

• Like 1

Hi all,

Not quite cold enough yet to migrate to the comfort of the dining room table so I have started doing a bit on the 'Bothy'. The windows and doors arrived from York Modelmaking together with the signalbox kit so I have fitted those to the ready prepared Perspex structure shell and applied some scrap 0.040" packers in readiness for the Wills Dressed Stone covering. The really annoying thing is I will not be able to see any of these lovely details on the Main Station Building, the Signalbox or the Bothy as they all have the frontage facing away. I did consider facing the whole thing the opposite way but that meant working on it over the high side of the Fell so that thought was consigned to the bin!

Pics will follow possibly tomorrow.

Sounds like you need a big mirror along the back wall, or put windows in the back of the shed so you can look in from outside, (that last bit was a JOKE by the way, in case anyone thinks I've lost the plot completely).

Mike can we have some step by step pics of you covering the plastic shell as I'm intrigued by this method.

Edited by Andrew P

Sounds like you need a big mirror along the back wall, or put windows in the back of the shed so you can look in from outside, (that last bit was a JOKE by the way, in case anyone thinks I've lost the plot completely).

Mike can we have some step by step pics of you covering the plastic shell as I'm intrigued by this method.

Hi Andy,

More pics! Why am I not surprised........... All in hand dear boy!

Glad you were joking about the windows as by the time I got around the street to look through from the neighbouring property the train would have undoubtedly passed by! I know because I always missed the real things in my spotting days! Talking of which have you seen the photo topic by RMweb '4630'? Some good old BR Blue stuff, worth a look.

• Like 2

Hi Andy,

More pics! Why am I not surprised........... All in hand dear boy!

Glad you were joking about the windows as by the time I got around the street to look through from the neighbouring property the train would have undoubtedly passed by! I know because I always missed the real things in my spotting days! Talking of which have you seen the photo topic by RMweb '4630'? Some good old BR Blue stuff, worth a look.

Not seen that Mike, where do I find it?

Not seen that Mike, where do I find it?

Hi Andy,

I found it at bottom of your 'Bitton' pages where it shows items "ALSO TAGGED WITH.......etc.!" 

I'm sure if you just type 4630 into the search it will come up mate.

Hi Andy,

I found it at bottom of your 'Bitton' pages where it shows items "ALSO TAGGED WITH.......etc.!" 

I'm sure if you just type 4630 into the search it will come up mate.

Thanks Mike, found it last night, enjoyed it and posted on it with credits to you for directing me.

Cheers.

Hi Mike

Very interesting to see your MR signal box kit.The detail looks fantastic.

I've no experience with laser cut models so I'll be very interested to see how it all fits together.

Love the Class 40s and the failed 108 in post 1405.... didn,t realise you were serious about running blue things... :)

Cheers

Alan

• Like 2

a large backscene of the wind swept moorland covering the wall would really give another edge of atmosephere to this already magnificent layout, and you could bring your reference photos onto the front of the layout, but i digress.

well done on the layout mike.

Regards, Sam.

• RMweb Premium

a large backscene of the wind swept moorland covering the wall would really give another edge of atmosephere to this already magnificent layout, and you could bring your reference photos onto the front of the layout, but i digress.

It would look very atmospheric, although it already does. I think it's the snow fences and Coal Road bridge that really give the feel of the place.

Hi Mike

Very interesting to see your MR signal box kit.The detail looks fantastic.

I've no experience with laser cut models so I'll be very interested to see how it all fits together.

Love the Class 40s and the failed 108 in post 1405.... didn,t realise you were serious about running blue things... :)

Cheers

Alan

Hi Alan,

So will I! Seriously it seems to be in a layer form so the shell looks quite simple (say's he) it will be the finer points that will take the kit to a new dimension for me.

I am not averse to the Blue Period on BR, well I did work on the things! and at a push, a large push! I would run the Sectorisation era, but as for Privatisation I could not possibly put it in written form! Oh and even LMS is a bit of arm twisting!

• Like 3