Hornby's 2013 Announcements

Andy Y

It does point towards a change in Hornby's tactics. Limited - very limited - editions with high demand always selling out, and less of the perennial, always in the catalogue models which instead get put back into the catalogue as and when demand grows.

R4216.................. (Blue Grey MK2d TSO)....................

• RMweb Gold

I do feel that no. 2001 had what is perhaps the finest name of any locomotive ever

Basis for a particularly partisan thread all its own, perhaps?

As a Southern sort of chap, I've nevertheless always thought Dean Singles did pretty well both as a class and individually - Atalanta and Fire King come to mind. Lord of the Izzles less so, really.

It does not appear to be an issue on the Retford layout so why not. I would buy one just for the fun of running it!

Mike Wiltshire

A close up of that very same locomotive, which I took...must be getting on for five years ago now.

post-1656-0-92543000-1359039701.jpg

Of all of the "might have beens", this really does look absolutely stunning in the BR dark green. It also looks so right. Which in itself, is something which many modelling "might have beens" don't achieve. I love the fact it has the number which would have been allocated to the P2s, if not for their rebuilding as well. 

Tetley Mill's Mr Shakespeare has a model of Wolf of Badenoch which looks equally impressive and convincing.

A close up of that very same locomotive, which I took...must be getting on for five years ago now.

attachicon.gifCIMG9062.jpg

Of all of the "might have beens", this really does look absolutely stunning in the BR dark green. It also looks so right. Which in itself, is something which many modelling "might have beens" don't achieve. I love the fact it has the number which would have been allocated to the P2s, if not for their rebuilding as well. 

You mean this is ficticious Simon ? No surely not

It certainly looks a beast, and looks like it is right.

Thanks for the piccie

I would never advocate a fictional livery for a P2 though. It's easy enough to do express passenger blue or BR dark green as a repaint. The point being that you have the choice of a repaint if that's what you want to do. I don't think fictional liveries sell very well - look at the Olympic Javelin sets. At least the Hornby liveried HST was real originally!

I don't think encouraging fictional liveries from the RTR manufacturers is really a viable proposition. 

As a Southern sort of chap, I've nevertheless always thought Dean Singles did pretty well both as a class and individually - Atalanta and Fire King come to mind. Lord of the Izzles less so, really.

When it comes to names, I've always felt that the LNWR was in a league of it's own. Some of those names are inspired - Fire Queen, Medusa, Cyclops etc

Purely a personal point of view, but I've always felt the LNER chose the best names.

Well, each to their own.  I've always loved the captivating charm of the LT&SR names myself:

Stepney Green, Southend-on-Sea, Arthur Lewis Stride......... Ah, they don't make names like that anymore......................

I do feel that no. 2001 had what is perhaps the finest name of any locomotive ever

As Belgian’s profile indicates, his personal interest lies with the Southern Railway; Cock o' the North was/will be one of those locomotives whose attractiveness bridges the boundaries of partisanship. I like an interesting name too, but it's just the icing on the cake/nameplate on the loco. I was pleased when Bachmann announced a model of Edie Ochiltree, Edie being my favourite character in Scott's "Waverley" Novels. However, I wasn't going to pay extra for "DCC fitted", so Lady of the Lake it is. You can take the trainspotter out of Scotland, but you can't take the Scotsman out of the trainspotter.

Gordon

Guest Belgian

As noted above, I am Southern-biased. I love the King Arthur names and the Merchants. However, I think the Southern heritage contains the finest names - Beattie didn't just design Well Tanks, but fine express engines for their time, and they carried magnificent names such as (just a few here!) 'Fireking', 'Nymph', 'Stromboli', 'Snake', 'Harpy', 'Phlegon', 'Sirocco', 'Firefly' - and the last of those was one of the Well Tanks. The GWR and LNWR didn't have exclusive use of classic names. Sadly, William Adams, a great engineer but a slightly austere Victorian, did away with them.

Oh, re Dick Turpin's remarks: "When it comes to names, I've always felt that the LNWR was in a league of it's own. Some of those names are inspired - Fire Queen, Medusa, Cyclops etc"  all you need do is just change one letter - they were all LSWR names as well . . . (although with a King rather than a Queen)

Nevertheless, I still think 'Cocko' is the finest name of them all, although I do rather like the name 'Snake'!

Jeremy English

Guest Belgian

I prefer the later Southern names, such as Spitfire, Hurricane, Tangmere etc.

I'm not excluding them, I love them too!

JE

• RMweb Gold

And why not - given their homage to those who gave so much to save Britain and freedom?

And of course, for anyone loving the lush Wealden countryside, the Brighton did a good job of advertising places too obscure to even merit a station - Tillington, Lodsworth, Cliftonville (not Margate). In Stroudley's era, he feted the rest of Europe with his 0-6-0 freight tank locos - Paris, Honfleur, Vienna, Barcelona. ISTR Vivien Thompson built a model of Trocadero for her Eastbourne layout.

Looking for a Hornby “Brit”, I bought 70045 Lord Rowallan because (yes) it was the cheapest model on the market at the time; I had no idea who Rowallan was. Looking up the name on Wikipedia and in the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, I found that he was an interesting chap. with positions ranging from Governor of Tasmania to Chief Scout of the British Empire, chairman of the family firm of Brown and Polson etc etc. He fought in both World Wars, receiving a bad leg wound while winning the MC in the first. Despite the disability of his leg, he was given command of a battalion in the BEF in WW2; this was noted for leaving the French coast better equipped than it had arrived, having collected arms and ammunition abandoned by others.

Nothing to do with railways, of course, but what started off, for me, as a meaningless name, gave a little more interest to this example of the Standard 7MT class.

Gordon

• RMweb Gold

As I'm suffering from a severe bout of anoraxia, didn't they(the SR) copy the GWR who also had already re named twelve of Castle class locomotives after contemporary aircraft that had a role in the Battle of Britain?

Spitfire and Hurricane (5071 and 5072) which were named before the Bullyheads were even built!

5080 Defiant is still with us today.

Regards

Richard......donning fireproof duffel coat and nhs specs

Guest Belgian

As I'm suffering from a severe bout of anoraxia, didn't they(the SR) copy the GWR who also had already re named twelve of Castle class locomotives after contemporary aircraft that had a role in the Battle of Britain?

Spitfire and Hurricane (5071 and 5072) which were named before the Bullyheads were even built!

5080 Defiant is still with us today.

Regards

Richard......donning fireproof duffel coat and nhs specs

I don't think (well, I wouldn't, would I?) that the Southern 'copied' the (Great) Western by naming their engines after the Spitfire and Hurricane, merely that they were honouring the men, machines and airfields who/which were involved in the greatest story of then recent years that was conducted above and around the Southern's own territory.

So there.

JE

• RMweb Premium

Like "Mallard"? They must've been quackers :jester:

I wondered about that for years - until a orno ...   ortho...  bird spotter friend told me the Mallard is the fastest flying duck.  OK, Mr 60022? :danced:

I also think a lot of the LNER names are good, racehorses being a good line, but then there's always a blooper....Andrew K McKosh, anyone? :jester:  

Here's an OT thought, what other families have two locomotives named for them?  Bibby Line and A Harold Bibby?  I used to work for them.

• RMweb Gold

Along slightly similar lines, I knew nothing about Benjamin Gimbert GC until Rails of Sheffield released 'his' Class 66. Now I'm proud to own the model, and intend to one day add 66079 James Nightall GC to match.

Shouldn't that be 47 574 and 47 579 ?

Archived