RMweb

Project 43 - The North British B-B Warships

Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold

Very nice - raised NBL scavenger grilles, Hymek style marker lights, love the roof vents, lifting eyes and etched wipers. Only fly in the ointment is the lack of three mounting points on the cab front window handrails, but can't wait for my two to arrive.

A couple of my recent copyright NBL 43s pics to wet the whistle.

post-6925-0-69066700-1434735432_thumb.jpgpost-6925-0-39613400-1434735467_thumb.jpg

Neil

Edited by Downendian
  • Like 5

love the roof vents, 

That's the one, the vents are a customer fit (as with the panel eyes) and there's both closed and open vents on the sprue. :)

I wouldn't say there's room for anything other than a traditional round flat speaker but the bogie arrangement does not appear to be like the 40.

• Like 1

Oooh yes!

Another nice touch with a representation of the powerplants inset from the windows. Although I make it 36 parts I've fitted as part of the detailing pack it's definitely well worth the half an hour it took.

• RMweb Premium

Definitely looks like a Warship.

Maroon and green ones due here for now; price will be a deciding factor in whether they are joined by a blue Royal Oak.  

I was concerned about the lighting after the last batch of class 42s came with brilliant white cab, headcode and marker lights but I'm assured by one Dibber25 of this parish that they are "all right".  

Now how to model that escaping steam? ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Definitely looks like a Warship.

Maroon and green ones due here for now; price will be a deciding factor in whether they are joined by a blue Royal Oak.  

I was concerned about the lighting after the last batch of class 42s came with brilliant white cab, headcode and marker lights but I'm assured by one Dibber25 of this parish that they are "all right".  

Now how to model that escaping steam? ;)

Have a 'summertime' layout Rick - then no need for any escaping steam on diseasal hauled trains ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

This looks to be a terrific model, I'll wait until I have one in the hand before making my mind up fully but based on the pics here I think this has to be a good candidate for diesel/electric model of the year.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Andy

That does look like the class 40 system with the juice from the bogie carried up the tower by those brass strips to rub on pick ups in the chassis block. Just have to hope the non conductive grease hasn't been used...

Postie did call today but was some Railtec transfers and quilting books for SWMBO

Shame!

Phil

Thanks Andy

That does look like the class 40 system with the juice from the bogie carried up the tower by those brass strips to rub on pick ups in the chassis block. Just have to hope the non conductive grease hasn't been used...

Postie did call today but was some Railtec transfers and quilting books for SWMBO

Shame!

Phil

It runs fine.

Thanks Andy

Shame!

Phil

It's wired from the board to the contacts you see on the bogie, the wire's just about visible above the solder in the previous pic.

A view of the accessible internals.

Bachmann_Class_43_es.jpg

• Like 1

It's wired from the board to the contacts you see on the bogie, the wire's just about visible above the solder in the previous pic.

A view of the accessible internals.

attachicon.gifBachmann_Class_43_es.jpg

Saw this model for the first time yesterday at Quorn.

What a beast! Absolutely gorgeous, and I can only hope the shrink ray gets used on it as Old Elm Common could use a couple of these beauties.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

How about re-numbering/re-naming on one side only, thereby doubling your fleet at a stroke? My old headmaster Frank Young wrote about doing this is his 'Emphasis on Operation' article in the Railway Modeller back in the 60s. SWMBO will only have to live with you ordering another 13 1/2!

Prompted me to dig out my earlier 'Warships' - I have a 'Glory' - which appears never to have been out of the box and has suffered the old problem of masses of oil - and one which Darren Sherwood converted into D801 for a Model Rail feature. The latter has shed both its bogie frames and needs some re-assembly but despite twenty minutes struggling, I can't get the body off. The problem is those deeply recessed screws which are also present on the new model. If the slots in the screw-head get rounded off, as they seem to have done, getting to them is near impossible and breaking the frame or body is a real risk. So, take care when taking the lid off to be gentle with the screw heads. You'll also find that the cabs seem to be glued in, making it difficult to extract them in order to fit a driver.

CHRIS LEIGH

(Edit - Had to drill out one screw head in the end. However, a cab fell out, too, and this model was double-manned in both cabs, so the crew from the rear cab will be re-assigned to the new 'Warship')

Edited by dibber25

• RMweb Premium

You'll also find that the cabs seem to be glued in, making it difficult to extract them in order to fit a driver.

CHRIS LEIGH

Reported by many owners to also be a problem with Dapol's class 22 and 52 locos.  I've fitted crew to all of mine without mishap however.  It just takes care and a little determination.  Hoping to receive some 43s any time fairly soon now.

Reported by many owners to also be a problem with Dapol's class 22 and 52 locos.  I've fitted crew to all of mine without mishap however.  It just takes care and a little determination.  Hoping to receive some 43s any time fairly soon now.

The sides and rear of the cab appear to be clipped in slots in the body but the front edge of the control desk looks to be glued. Review model hadn't been photographed so I didn't risk trying to take them out.

CHRIS LEIGH

• RMweb Gold

And a sprinkling of courage too sometimes!!

Have to get crew in there though or MUD will be along to call industrial action - thats Model Union of Drivers....this is the late 60s/early 70s after all!

Phil

• Like 2

I guess it's a sign of the times - staff cuts and all that - but I've just noticed that the previous Bachmann 'Warship' was double-manned in BOTH cabs! Re-assigning two of them gives me a crew for the Class 43, IF I can get them in!

CHRIS LEIGH

• RMweb Premium

The green one is fine with me! Didn't like them in any other colour and the slab yellow end was truly horrible! Still it's all down to personal taste....

Bachmann send the different colours to each magazine, so BRM will probably get the blue and Hornby will probably get the maroon. (Bachmann know which reviewers like which period!)

CHRIS LEIGH

Looks like Hornby Magazine also got a green one, so did anyone get a maroon one to review I wonder?

When they do appear, please can someone post a photo of a recent Class 42 and new Class 43 in maroon to provide a colour comparison. Some of Bachmann's maroon 42s are too dark for my taste.