Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Bachmann announce Mk2f's

newbryford

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, Rich Papper said:

Somewhere earlier in the thread was the suggestion to put the bodyshell in the freezer for a bit, but I'm guessing would still need great care. Didn't find out about the freezer plan until after I'd done mine so can't comment but I did manage to get them out of a TSO for a repaint without damage, but it was a very slow job with scalpel and tiny screwdriver for leverage.

My standard approach for Bachmann stock is to soak in IPA.  It strips the paint and softens the glue enough to remove the glazing.   I haven’t tried it on a mk2 (yet) but it’s worked perfectly on locos.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I paid a quick visit to Topps Trains in Stafford yesterday, and while I picked up a couple myself, there may still be one or two more 39-677 IC Exec TSO of the non-DCC variety at £50.50, I don't think there was any 677DC though. He found a few bits and pieces recently, no online shop though so its a ring and see or drop in to the shop.

On 09/09/2022 at 18:29, The Fatadder said:

My standard approach for Bachmann stock is to soak in IPA.  It strips the paint and softens the glue enough to remove the glazing.   I haven’t tried it on a mk2 (yet) but it’s worked perfectly on locos.

Not the same model, but a Bachmann one, ive put one of my 117 bodyshells in the freezer to try that out, its loosend up the glazing a bit, but the rest is firmly still attached

NL

• 2 weeks later...

las tnight I triedclose coupling my Mk2Fs. I use roco or the Hornby roco-style couplings to form rigid bars on my close coupled corridor stock. Hornby Roco style couplings (which are too long by NEM Spec) perfectly close couple Bachmann Mk1s. Hornby close coupled coaches need Roco couplings, as do more recent Mk1s from Bachmann (TPOs etc). I was rather dismayed to find that the Mk2s conform to neither spec. The Roco coupling is not long enough, and the Hornby knock off is too long. 

Satisfyingly, one of each is perfect. This is not idea as it precludes mix and matching with other stock, but having an A and B end of the Mk2Fs is just about OK as they need to stay the right way round for CDL purposes. However the conclusion is that the cam mechanism and alignment does NOT conform to NEM standards on these coaches.

Also BUMP on my post above about a table of CVs and values for dimming, and for potentially swapping A and B sides of the CDL lighting

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Has anyone tried matching paint to the Intercity liveried Bachmann 2F?  I want to paint a Mk1 RFB and a couple of Lima mk3 sleepers to match my 2d conversions, and would like for the finish to be consistent. Preferably Enamel or an automotive spray, but flexible...

I did find that Phoenix weathered concrete was a reasonable match when painting out the yellow stripe on a downgraded FO, but I cant remember if the little that was left in that can and been previously mixed with other colours while weathering..... 

• 1 month later...

So when Bachmann get round to more of these whats the guessing on what we will see from them?

I suspect it could be the turn of the Anglia Rsilways blue livery given theyve done the DBSO which I thought was a little odd just releasing that on its own with no matchimg coaches.

How about the old Cargo D blue and grey?

BTW if anybody is after one I have a boxed 39-652 mk2f FO for sale in executive livery (not swallow and not dcc fitted) for £50 unused with the detail pack and can take it to Warley on the Saturday for collection.

Edited by ThaneofFife
Fpelling

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, ThaneofFife said:

So when Bachmann get round to more of these whats the guessing on what we will see from them?

I suspect it could be the turn of the Anglia Rsilways blue livery given theyve done the DBSO which I thought was a little odd just releasing that on its own with no matchimg coaches.

How about the old Cargo D blue and grey?

BTW if anybody is after one I have a boxed 39-652 mk2f FO for sale in executive livery (not swallow and not dcc fitted) for £50 unused with the detail pack and can take it to Warley on the Saturday for collection.

They seem to do things in threes…

Anglia must be a given, but after its less clear… DRS /Scotrail are done. Virgin trains seems to be in stock everywhere.

Looking at Intercity / executive and blue grey… aside of TSO… they are all still around… FO, RFB and BSO are in stock… its really only TSOs that are needed.

So it might be they did the dbso in Anglia now, as that market is a bit saturated too, it maybe a while before they do more dbso’s.

The other problem with Anglia is lack of anything recently made to pull it.. Heljans 86 hasnt been done for a decade, the Hornby one isnt the most eyecatching tooling and is also a decade old.

Imo what might be nice is if they pulled some new slides on that HAP and turned out a GLV… then do at Gatex set… 

That would offer at least 3 livery variations of mk2fs: Original Exec, Intercity Exec, and Privatisation Gatex.
It is also a nice  easy train to build…

Gatex is a rake of 6 (class 488/2 - FO+TSO) + (Class 488/3 - TSO + TSO+TSO) + GLV.

The DBSO has shown a £100+ coach with DCC etc is possible, a DCC fitted GLV would extend the mk2f sale considerably.

The GLV went on to NR use, the Gatex mk2f’s are still in Network Rail use today…  other  Gatex coaches went to Ireland, giving more options

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

Imo what might be nice is if they pulled some new slides on that HAP and turned out a GLV… then do at Gatex set… 

That would offer at least 3 livery variations of mk2fs: Original Exec, Intercity Exec, and Privatisation Gatex.

Gatex is a rake of 6 (class 488/2 - FO+TSO) + (Class 488/3 - TSO + TSO+TSO) + GLV.

Oh yes. Got to be one of your best ideas ever!

Roy

• Thanks 1

Still desperate for some Mk2f SO's in Blue/Grey very thin on the ground, I managed to get a new Hornby Blue/Grey MK2e SO from a retailer I found that still has a few, and at a reasonable price compared to the stupid prices on ebay I would prefer a Bachmann one but there was a non DCC Bachmann one on ebay the other day for £100 I'm not paying that.

• Like 1

RFB has not been done in Swallow with CDL lights, and is therefore 'missing' in terms of presenting a mid-late 1990s IC rake.

Also scope for a heritage blue-grey release with CDL lights (as per the original run of blue/grey RFBs), and a release of more Swallow TSOs.

Also potential for Arriva liveried Mk2Fs, as used on Welsh loco hauled services, as well as Anglia livery mentioned previously (is there potential here for them to run with appropriate liveried Class 90s during the changeover period from Mk2 to Mk3 stock on the Anglia mainline?).

If they were being very brave they could do Wessex purple...!

Edited by G-BOAF
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• Tempfix
On 13/11/2022 at 12:00, adb968008 said:

The DBSO has shown a £100+ coach with DCC etc is possible, a DCC fitted GLV would extend the mk2f sale considerably.

The GLV went on to NR use, the Gatex mk2f’s are still in Network Rail use today…  other  Gatex coaches went to Ireland, giving more options

Unfortunately the GatEx 2fs would need some modifications to the tooling that they might not have catered for. Losing the buffers within sets is probably easy, but losing some of the toilet windows is more difficult, not sure interior is the same, and the outer ends of each set would need the recesses and jumper cables. Not sure, but there might have been tweaks to the underframe boxes too.

Tell you what, if I start chopping up the ones I have earmarked for it and get on with the GLV kit they should have time to announce for spring just as I finish it!

Rich

• Like 5

well as most liveries have been picked off now one can only hope that it wont be much longer before we see another run of TSOs in blue and grey and also IC executive.

if the gat exs are out then i can only think of the arriva livery and the anglian colours of the GEML.  i dont believe the pullmans are Mk2f's unless Bachmann tool up for Ds or even Es........be good to see some of the above at the next round of releases.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Here's a salutary reminder that good maintenance is as important in OO as it is on the real railway.  Investigation of a derailment revealed that poor lubrication had caused extreme heat to build up in the bogie of a Mk 2f BSO.  The result: a malformed bogie, seized wheelset and a jammed coupling (the heat having also deformed the under frame of the coach).  I wonder if Bachmann has plans to release miniature hot-box detectors?!

IMG_0214.jpeg

• Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 2

On 13/11/2022 at 12:00, adb968008 said:

They seem to do things in threes…

Anglia must be a given, but after its less clear… DRS /Scotrail are done. Virgin trains seems to be in stock everywhere.

Looking at Intercity / executive and blue grey… aside of TSO… they are all still around… FO, RFB and BSO are in stock… its really only TSOs that are needed.

So it might be they did the dbso in Anglia now, as that market is a bit saturated too, it maybe a while before they do more dbso’s.

The other problem with Anglia is lack of anything recently made to pull it.. Heljans 86 hasnt been done for a decade, the Hornby one isnt the most eyecatching tooling and is also a decade old.

With regards to the Anglia liveried DBSO, I think it actually fits quite well into the Bachmann portfolio. If they do the matching MK2Fs, you can make up a whole train (a couple of the Anglia sets had Mk2 RFBs instead of Mk3 RFMs), and of course Freightliner grey, RES class 90s (as well as some others not currently produced by Bachmann, including the GNER liveried one) operated on Anglia services from c2004. Admittedly, not as common as an Anglia 86, but still quite normal.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, uk_pm said:

Here's a salutary reminder that good maintenance is as important in OO as it is on the real railway.  Investigation of a derailment revealed that poor lubrication had caused extreme heat to build up in the bogie of a Mk 2f BSO.  The result: a malformed bogie, seized wheelset and a jammed coupling (the heat having also deformed the under frame of the coach).  I wonder if Bachmann has plans to release miniature hot-box detectors?!

IMG_0214.jpeg

What was the heat source ?

1 hour ago, VXDH92 said:

With regards to the Anglia liveried DBSO, I think it actually fits quite well into the Bachmann portfolio. If they do the matching MK2Fs, you can make up a whole train (a couple of the Anglia sets had Mk2 RFBs instead of Mk3 RFMs), and of course Freightliner grey, RES class 90s (as well as some others not currently produced by Bachmann, including the GNER liveried one) operated on Anglia services from c2004. Admittedly, not as common as an Anglia 86, but still quite normal.

And of course Anglia operated the high-density tso based on reclassified FO (i.e. FO bodyshell but Bachmann would need to tool a a revised interior including the airline style seating)

Edited by G-BOAF
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, uk_pm said:

IMG_0214.jpeg

Any ideas what caused the heat? I would be amazed if the pinpoints generated that much heat to cause so much damage? Looking at the deformation at the centre of the bogie frame, could that have been caused by a bad contact on the pick ups between the bogie and coach chassis? That would also explain the jammed coupling. The coach must have been running for quite a while? 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, billywhizz said:

Any ideas what caused the heat? I would be amazed if the pinpoints generated that much heat to cause so much damage? Looking at the deformation at the centre of the bogie frame, could that have been caused by a bad contact on the pick ups between the bogie and coach chassis? That would also explain the jammed coupling. The coach must have been running for quite a while? 

I’ll often run the rake for a couple of hours at a scale 100mph. But you’re right, it could be caused by that. In many ways that’s much more worrying. I wouldn’t have thought the current is high enough to generate heat. Funnily enough, I’ve thought the rake is “heavy” for a while. But it’s easily whipped up to linespeed by an Accurascale Deltic or Heljan 47. 

Edited by uk_pm
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

23 hours ago, uk_pm said:

I’ll often run the rake for a couple of hours at a scale 100mph. But you’re right, it could be caused by that. In many ways that’s much more worrying. I wouldn’t have thought the current is high enough to generate heat. Funnily enough, I’ve thought the rake is “heavy” for a while. But it’s easily whipped up to linespeed by an Accurascale Deltic or Heljan 47. 

Any chance the wheel b2b was slightly out and pinching on the metal 'bearings'/pickup units? There would need to be a LOT of friction to heat the bogie that much.

You are lucky the body shell wasn't damaged, as you can easily source a replacement underframe and bogie from Bachmann Spares.

• RMweb Gold

Damn, I have AC flowing through metal all over my house.  220 - 240V of it with really high currents.  If low voltage, low current DCC can cause such heating I do hope the "induced electrical current" doesn't cause ohmic heating in my home.  😉

Thanks goodness my Masters level Engineering says it is all safe.

• Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, letterspider said:

Yes but the wheels are rotating while your wiring is not. 

Goodness; I had no idea my post would inspire such high-level intellectual debate.  I am intrigued by "ohmic heating" (which sounds like something HM Government might espouse in the face of the energy crisis).  I still prefer my original theory, which is that I had failed to ensure the metal-on-metal bearings were properly lubricated, and so heat built up as the coaches tore their way around my layout - sometimes for hours on end (whilst I looked on, oblivious to the dangers!). That would explain why (a) the rake felt heavy and (slightly) resistant to movement and (b) only 3 bogies out of 22 were affected.  

Nonetheless, I am astonished that such heat can have been generated.  It will, of course, have been transmitted very effectively by the metal pick-ups which stretch the length of the bogie and up into the coach body.  

I think the moral of the story is that good lubrication is as essential in OO as it is on the real railway.