Bachmann announce Mk2f's

newbryford

• RMweb Premium

All very fancy but as a non DCC user I would rather they were standard coach models without all the lights etc and half the RRP.  Any chance of a vanilla version without all these lights?

• Like 1

All very fancy but as a non DCC user I would rather they were standard coach models without all the lights etc and half the RRP.  Any chance of a vanilla version without all these lights?

Bachmann is already listing DC and DCC versions of all the types in both blue/grey and Intercity on its website. Only the DBSO is restricted to DCC only.

Edited by Simon Bendall

Looking at the images, they do look very good. I'm not a fan of separate grab handles - if they are done to scale they will be too fragile. Moulded ones are fine.

Bachmann need to take care with the numbers for the FO and RFB. They have modelled the versions with Temperature Ltd air-con (same as on all seconds and brake seconds). Some firsts, including some that were converted to RFB, had Stones air-con and looked different.

There will be; more information during tomorrow on the 2f.

It is increasingly evident that Bachmann are looking at bringing more added value to products and exploring where additional features can increase the appeal of products, a prime example of this has to be the Mark 2F coach range.

The latest EP samples were shown as below and the lighting functionality was demonstrated. Each coach contains a circuit board with built-in DCC circuitry so there’s no need to purchase or fit an additional decoder which allows the saloon and guard’s compartment (if appropriate) lighting to be independently controlled. Each coach will have a functioning LED at each end for a tail-lamp, the user can choose whether to fit the oil-lamp or battery-lamp mouldings or a blanking plate. The tail-lamp can be selected to be continuous or flashing (as appropriate to the lamp style chosen). Later variants of the coach will feature central door locking lights by the doors and these are selectable so that only the side of the coach which is at the platform is activated. The DBSO also features directional head and tail lighting and cab lighting.

post-1-0-05900600-1499329061_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-38908800-1499329071_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-68679900-1499329079_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-10653100-1499329091_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-42425700-1499329100_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-06509100-1499329109_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-62398500-1499329120_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-06424300-1499329130_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-17305400-1499329137_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-07349200-1499329144_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-00185500-1499329166_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-92930800-1499329177_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-96436800-1499329190_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-31171600-1499329204_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-26775800-1499329213_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-93418500-1499329224_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-03248900-1499329234_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-82800100-1499329243_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-20435700-1499329259_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-56925700-1499329271_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-27834300-1499329342_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-78724300-1499329356_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-74616600-1499329365_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-91391300-1499329435_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-13433900-1499329444_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-94880200-1499329448_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for update Andy. On the DBSO is there any functionality on the directional lighting if a blanking plug is fitted, in other words will that part work on DC as with many existing diesel locos or does it need to be fully DCC to get the additional functionality?

Thanks for update Andy. On the DBSO is there any functionality on the directional lighting if a blanking plug is fitted, in other words will that part work on DC as with many existing diesel locos or does it need to be fully DCC to get the additional functionality?

Directional lighting will work on DC. On DC all interior lights will be on by default.

Oil lamp, battery lamp or blanking plate mouldings? That is amazing! Do the wipers work? :jester:

Tiny question. I have a nice Bachmann Scotrail 47. What do I put between it and the DBSO?

Oxford Rail MK3a's...........................

• Like 1

Looks very promising indeed - they certainly capture the look of the 2f's and the DBSO also appears to be developing well.

I really, REALLY don't want to start any negativity..............however you know there's a BUT coming.........

But, as there are end wire handrails and wire lifting handles on the air con hatch even, why have we gone back to moulded grab rails and handrails along the side of the body? Surely, wire handrails on the bodyside are more of a necessity than on the end of the vehicle? I'd rather have the fine detail than Gucci switching lights or whatever it does.

Is this to attract the modeller who finds fitting lighting to be beyond them, and as a compromise, the handrails are all moulded?

Like I say, I don't want to pick at what appears to be a very fine development, however, I just can't get over the thinking behind moulded rails on an otherwise fully detailed and superlative model..........

Personally, and I'm aware that I am most likely in a minority, as all my other stock that I've resprayed have separate hand and grabrails, then it's going to mean a strip, detail and respray for me.

Yeeeessss, I'm putting my tin hat on as I type and wait for the incoming flak........

cheers

Andy

Later variants of the coach will.......

They do look nice, but it is this subtle comment which fascinates me. Was there any further mention of later variants above and beyond CDL lighting? Namely the DBSO, I see in the photo the front cab is a separate slide. Did Bachmann mention that they have tooled or allowed the tooling to have a later slide without the central door panel. Thus allowing DBSOs such as DRS, Network Rail and Anglia to be modelled? If so, very promising. 

Was there any mention of a 'no-thrills' Mk2 coach with the lighting not fitted in the TSO and FO? If lighting in the S-Stock adds £20 to the price, surely a no thrills Mk2 would appeal to a different market - including me who has no interest in running with internal lights.... though those CDL lights do look grand. 

Edited by 159220
  • Like 1

If so, very promising. 

I am not party to any specifics but it is my understanding that as yet unannounced variations within the coaches have been accommodated into the design and tooling.

thats quite a set of coaches.  really looking forward to seeing some livery samples next.........

looks like good close coupling. I wonder if Bachmann will ever consider built in flexible corridor connections at some point if they are thinking about added value features or just ones with a striking plate that's sprung (possibly one still best left to the aftermarket?) 

I have obviously gone ga-ga. I thought Oxford was doing Saltire.

They've announced the 1980s Scotrail livery (Blue stripe version of Intercity Executive - as was used with the push-pull 47s and DBSOs as TSO, CO and FO coaches).

Not sure about Saltire - dont think any Mk3s have been painted in that livery - its Mk2s that are used with the Class 68s

• RMweb Gold

Assuming this is a photo of the final tooling ? - the outline etc for the Driver's cab door on the moulding and a foot step and recess below it are missing ?

Not been stated that they are final tooling, just latest EP.

Roy

Assuming this is a photo of the final tooling ? - the outline etc for the Driver's cab door on the moulding and a foot step and recess below it are missing ?  

That is known about and is to be corrected, as are the missing door seams on the end wrap rounds.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm sure this has been done for a cost saving, but I do wonder at having a wired in DCC decoder on the circuit board. I think that might have missed a trick, in that Bachmann could have developed a separate small, function only decoder for these, and produced enough of them to really bring the price down and consequently sell as separate items so other stock could become DCC equipped for those that want to do it. Current FO decoders are a bit pricey for doing that.

I'm sure this has been done for a cost saving, but I do wonder at having a wired in DCC decoder on the circuit board. I think that might have missed a trick, in that Bachmann could have developed a separate small, function only decoder for these, and produced enough of them to really bring the price down and consequently sell as separate items so other stock could become DCC equipped for those that want to do it. Current FO decoders are a bit pricey for doing that.

I was wondering if this could spell the end for customer-fit decoders if they start going down this route.

• RMweb Premium

Directional lighting will work on DC. On DC all interior lights will be on by default.

Thanks Andy .I note in Rails website that the DBSO is only available DCC is that correct? Also reading this thread I got the impression that all 2Fs will be DCC but looking at Rails website they are quoting £42.46 for normal coaches and £63.71 for DCC . Will there still be DC and DCC versions of everything except the DBSO or have things moved on and the Rails website is now out of date ?

Thanks in advance

Only really in the bogie & brake department - the version shown covers 11 of the 14 built. For the other three it would be a simple matter of changing the bogies and putting the 2f BSO brake cylinders & linkages back.

Edited by Bob-65b