Bachmann 64xx Panniers

Mikkel

Phew. Spent half a day filming a review of the latest BR Early arrival  :locomotive: .  Will take a far few hours to get the complete video online, so hears a few screen shots to get your appetites  :jester:

Review now online ;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0o2dV2SqhQ :declare: 

Yet again Callum, you've spoilt us with another brilliant video review. Thank you and keep them coming !!!!

• RMweb Gold

Hi 

Maybe a silly question, did the 64xx only work Auto trains?.

Indeed it isn't. You've got me scratching my head now.I suppose they must have worked other types of train but I for one have no memory of them other than forever linked to an autocoach....but then I wouldn't would I ?

Yet again Callum, you've spoilt us with another brilliant video review. Thank you and keep them coming !!!!

Thanks you ever so much! Glad you find them of help! Will be sure to do more in the near future. A running video to follow soon! :locomotive:

Following on from my review of the all new Bachmann 31-636 Class 64xx, in BR Early Black Livery. Here's a quick running session featuring her hauling a typical branchline rake, which consists of a Hornby BR Maroon Hawksworth Brake Coach and Dapol 6-Wheel Milk Tankers.
As can be seen she is a superb performer, with smooth and quite running, and having no issues around bends or over point work. An excellent model indeed! 

Hope you enjoy!  :locomotive: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdvZXTesy9k

post-20663-0-53855400-1426179844.png

• RMweb Gold

31-637 BR lined green has now hit the shops too! Earlier than I expected. Very nice it is too. I'll try and get a photo or two of it on here over the weekend...

I know of a few people who will be licking their lips at that prospect.

I know of a few people who will be licking their lips at that prospect.

I could take a photo of it now and put it on here but my lighting isn't great - I am best to wait until I have some daylight available.....

Edited - I did it anyway! Not too bad I guess, you get the idea anyway!

Edited by leavesontheline

Stupid question alert ! I assume this model has been released the ? I was under the impression that it was due in April ?

Regards

Great Western

I was under that impression too! However I popped into my local shop yesterday for something else and he'd received a large consignment of them, which I assume fulfilled all his pre-orders as he had some on general sale too.

The only strange thing is that is is a couple of £ more expensive than the two earlier releases (31-635 and the BR black one) - more Bachmann pricing weirdness? .... or maybe it's just due to the cost of the lining compared to the other two? 

• Like 1

Regarding the price difference of the BR green version to the BR Black and GWR versions, is due to the later 2 being released before Bachmann's release of the 2015/16 catalogue, which increased the rrp from £81.95 to £84.95. One of the lower price increases.

This is mine, straight out of the box, on 'Earl's Court' at the East Anglian/St Neot's show this weekend.

Purchased from Lord & Butler Saturday morning.

Will have the airbrush/dry brushing/powders on it before my next booking at Trainwest, Melksham.

Nice model. Didn't really need one but, as I was a loco down on Saturday morning, I bought it.

Terry

'Earl's Court'

ecmr.webs.com

post-18114-0-13227100-1426541620_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

One thing that's interesting is that it has the 'illegal' 'ferret-and-dartboard' crest on the right side. These were originally all facing the front (just like the earlier 'cycling lion'), but after quite a lot had been applied BR was told only the left-facing version was legal, so subsequently all decals were left-facing, on both sides.

Edited by Coppercap

• RMweb Gold

One thing that's interesting is that it has the 'illegal' 'ferret-and-dartboard' crest on the right side. These were originally all facing the front (just like the earlier 'cycling lion'), but after quite a lot had been applied BR was told only the left-facing version was legal, so subsequently all decals were left-facing, on both sides.

Yes, I know that this is referred to in one or two of 'The Pannier Papers', but I can't recall (without checking) whether that applied to any 64XXs, or 6412 in particular.

I wonder if 247 Developments will produce some 'Flockton Flyer' nameplates....?

• Like 1

Purchased mine this morning from Rails. Excellent service in the shop. As I'm 200+ miles away from my layout, I asked to see it run and it did so beautifully.

I'm no expert at photographing models, and my camera was running out of battery so I didn't have too much time to experiment, but here we go:

post-7423-0-29815800-1426598194.jpg

And in the company of a Hornby Brakevan (with Western markings) from the latest batch:

post-7423-0-86429200-1426598184.jpg

I thought I'd include a couple of pictures of the real things, going back to August 2012 at the SDR, with a visit from 6430 from Llangollen:

post-7423-0-69020900-1426598170.jpg

Not having so much fun that day, 6412 sits in the shed at Buckfastleigh:

post-7423-0-43852400-1426598160.jpg

I'm yet to see 6412 in steam, but hope to do so this summer. I've never had much luck photographing the 64xxs, I've found they tend to bring rain with them wherever they go!

With regards to the ferret and dartboard, the real 6412 has been out-shopped with the the left facing crest on both tanks.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Has anyone found any decent prototype phots of the green version showing the top of the boiler and panniers as I'd like to weather mine and i can't find anything to show how the greeen top weathered in use

Chris

• RMweb Gold

I wonder who'll be trying to fit the 5'2" wheels from the Collett Goods to this one, to try and turn it into a 54xx?

Is it worth it? Wait for Bachmann to bring out a 54xx in due course.

Having said that, we are still in "due course" waiting for them to bring out a 4BEP and a 2HAP.

Has anyone found any decent prototype phots of the green version showing the top of the boiler and panniers as I'd like to weather mine and i can't find anything to show how the greeen top weathered in use

Chris

Hi Chris,

ColourRail have a photo from above of 6400 itself at Seaton, but it's been raining so it isn't too clear.

http://www.colour-rail.com/Preview.ashx?Cat=6&Ref=392299

have a look and see what you think.

http://www.colourrail.com/Category1.aspx

Luke

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Chris,

ColourRail have a photo from above of 6400 itself at Seaton, but it's been raining so it isn't too clear.

http://www.colour-rail.com/Preview.ashx?Cat=6&Ref=392299

have a look and see what you think.

http://www.colourrail.com/Category1.aspx

Luke

Thanks - the over-riding impression I'm getting from that plus side-on shots is that unless the loco is spotless the top of the boiler and tanks is very similar (if a little more subtle) in appearance to the roof of the cab!

Chris