Bachmann 64xx Panniers

Mikkel

In 1993 I was paying 49p a litre for petrol remembering how I felt I was robbed when it went up to 55p a litre a few years later.

In 1982 a Mainline warship was £9.99 from Railmail, and I paid £18 for a jubilee.... 45691 Orion, Both of which today are worth double that on ebay..

But the 45596 I bought for £44.95 in 1993 with its can moter and superior finish today goes for the same price or less...

That said a 45611 dcc fitted was £100 last year on ebay, but are selling around £65 this year...

But then again a jubilee announced 2 years back and still new on the shelves has gone up £20 to £150 this year.

I think I can answer this strange problem you have, are you sitting comfortably?  Mr Chinese factory worker wants a higher standard of living and therefore puts in for a pay rise.  Mr Factory owner covers his extra costs by charging nice Mr Bachmann and nice Mr Hornby more for their products and this results in nice Mr Bachmann and nice Mr Hornby charging their consumers more for their models.

So instead of being able to purchase 10 of the latest locos from nice Mr Bachmann you can only purchase 7 or 8.  Thereby Mr Consumer puts in for a pay rise from his employer to cover his cost of living.  Mr Chinese worker sees our standard of living increase so he puts in for another wage rise and round we go again, simples.

Loconuts

• Like 2

According to the inflation counter on thisismoney.co.uk £25 in 1993 is equivalent to £45.16 today, so you woz robbed, Rob. Or you got a massive bargain in 1993 (70 today is the equivalent of £38.76 in 1993)

Two sides to every coin (adjusted for inflation).

• Like 1

I think I can answer this strange problem you have, are you sitting comfortably?  Mr Chinese factory worker wants a higher standard of living and therefore puts in for a pay rise.  Mr Factory owner covers his extra costs by charging nice Mr Bachmann and nice Mr Hornby more for their products and this results in nice Mr Bachmann and nice Mr Hornby charging their consumers more for their models.

So instead of being able to purchase 10 of the latest locos from nice Mr Bachmann you can only purchase 7 or 8.  Thereby Mr Consumer puts in for a pay rise from his employer to cover his cost of living.  Mr Chinese worker sees our standard of living increase so he puts in for another wage rise and round we go again, simples.

Loconuts

It's not a case of the Chinese factory workers putting in for increases, but the Chinese government imposing them, as they want to stimulate domestic demand..

• RMweb Gold

This release marks yet another return to schooldays for me.I frequently rode the Aberdare ( Low Level ) to Abercynon auto train until the arrival of DMU 's in early 1958.

My black 6417 has just arrived and settled down (for now) with its maroon Airfix auto coach with "Didcot" affixed ( !!! ). I believe that someone at Barwell has been reading my posts because it carries the 86J shedcode. Thank you....whoever (or if ) you are. As they say....how cool is that !

• Like 1

It's not a case of the Chinese factory workers putting in for increases, but the Chinese government imposing them, as they want to stimulate domestic demand..

It was done a bit tongue in cheek and not as a political statement by UKIP.

Loconuts 

• RMweb Gold

Shoulda done it with an 87XX to give all the Gods Wonderful Railway Haters a chance to bitch that they all look the same ! :blind:

That one is 8709 ;) I think I have a later cab one upstairs... gimme 10 mins lol

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Heard this morning that mine is on its way to Canada from Liverpool.

Typically takes a couple of weeks..........would appreciate some feedback about running performance ..........its going to replace a Hornby 14xx that is hardwired to an Autocoach containing the decoder and stay alive capacitor ..........it would be nice if I could run it without all this..................in which case I need to order a 6 pin decoder

Regards from Vancouver

Hi John,

I've had mine running on my test oval for the last hour using my trusty ECM Compspeed controller. It ran impressively smoothly right out of the box. Slow running is great, no hesitations over an insulfrog Peco switch.

Mine is winging it's way across the Atlantic from Scouseville too !

I am sure it will look lovely hidden away in its box (along with all my other Loco's etc. ) until I finally get my layout started.....

• RMweb Gold

Have had the body off the review sample. What do you need to know?

CHRIS LEIGH

Hi Chris

Thank you for replying to my enquiry

My autocoach is presently hardwired to a Hornby 14xx. The decoder and stay alive capacitor are in the coach. I am debating whether to continue this set up with the 64xx.  When I added tender pick ups to the Bachmann 3F it was quite easy to remove the entire decoder socket and the wires were helpfully identified on the socket.......I wondered if that was the case with the 64xx?

Regards from a sunny Vancouver

Spookily I took this earlier before I had read your request...

attachicon.gif64-87.jpg

I have been running 6407 in and comparing with a similar pannier in your picture. I noticed the difference in driving rods, but I think the overall weight is different. 6407 felt a little lighter compared with the resident pannier. Perhaps a little weighing is called for. Also the 'sound' seemed to be that bit hollow. It seems to be getting quieter with more circuits.

I shall also be interested in anyone who has chipped one with a 6 pin decoder, as I am about to take the plunge in changing to DCC.

A quick look at the exploded diagram of the chassis of 6407 seemed to indicated that the motor is at the front and the socket at the rear, which is the reverse of my other dcc ready pannier chassis.