Bachmann 64xx Panniers

Mikkel

• RMweb Gold

I plan to weather mine based on various photos I have of 64xx panniers in Gloucestershire including the Forest of Dean. I couldn't work out what was not quite right - then it dawned on me that in virtualy all the photos(both in day to day use and on SLS specials) the safety valve is metal rather than body colour - I've done a bit of painting.

post-1107-0-22845500-1427750056_thumb.jpgpost-1107-0-14084500-1427750064_thumb.jpg

Chris

• Like 11

Just found a nice photo of 5409 in lined black livery in 1950.

http://railphotoprints.zenfolio.com/p200288452/h2a1defb3#h2a1defb3

Does anyone know of any members of the 6400 class that received lined black livery? I know most of the were unlined but I have always found it to be a rather boring livery.

good find. No crest/emblem either; wonder if it ever got one in that livery.

I have checked the 1952 photo and the lining is still present but no sign of any crest. I would guess it never got one in that livery.

No evidence of any 64XX in lined black, as far as I can see.

You appear to be correct. I have found an article on the GWR Org website that mentions 5409 as being lined but saying that it does not think any members of the 64xx series were lined. A bit of a pity as I like the lining. I model in N Gauge so I could probably renumber a 64xx as 5409. The difference in wheel size in that scale is ~1mm an not likely to be noticeable.

• RMweb Gold

I believe that the black lined panniers (8750, 15XX etc.) were done in connection with having something 'a little smarter' to work the ECS trains in to Paddington from Old Oak Common. As the 64XX type weren't used for those duties, it's not a surprise to me that they weren't given the mixed traffic lining when in the black livery.

• Like 1

I believe that the black lined panniers (8750, 15XX etc.) were done in connection with having something 'a little smarter' to work the ECS trains in to Paddington from Old Oak Common. As the 64XX type weren't used for those duties, it's not a surprise to me that they weren't given the mixed traffic lining when in the black livery.

In many cases you are quite right however that does not explain them all. A handful of tank engines received line black that had no obvious connection any any prestige duties including 5409, 1470, 5816, 4409, 5173 and 5527. I suspect that some were either lined out in error or were painted before Swindon had reached and disseminated a clear policy on which locos were to be lined and which were not.

• RMweb Gold

In many cases you are quite right however that does not explain them all. A handful of tank engines received line black that had no obvious connection any any prestige duties including 5409, 1470, 5816, 4409, 5173 and 5527. I suspect that some were either lined out in error or were painted before Swindon had reached and disseminated a clear policy on which locos were to be lined and which were not.

If any of the above were London-allocated locos, that might go part of the way to explaining it. I suspect that 5409 may have worked on the London-area auto trains, for example, although 4409 is a bit of a puzzle.

Edit - The Pannier Papers confirm that 5409 was given lined black livery by Wolverhampton Works as early as 1949. Given that this was a London-area allocated loco at the time, I suspect that the theory of having certain London-based locos in lined black may still hold true here. However, the early application of the lined black livery may also have been an 'experiment'...

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Sorry, give up. What's the answer? :-)

The answer I seek is wether 6425 had a top feed fitted during it's working life, and if so, when....

All of my photographs show 6425 without said topfeed, but, I've seen a Bachmann model re-numbered as said locomotive. I'd really like one of these, but without the feed. So......

• RMweb Gold

The answer I seek is wether 6425 had a top feed fitted during it's working life, and if so, when....

All of my photographs show 6425 without said topfeed, but, I've seen a Bachmann model re-numbered as said locomotive. I'd really like one of these, but without the feed. So......

On page 6 of 'The Pannier Papers' covering the 54Xx/64XX/74XX, it describes how some of the 74XX were built with top feeds from new, and then goes on to say that top feeds were then fitted to the rest of the 64XX and 74XX classes, so it would appear that 6425 did eventually acquire one. Perhaps a dated photograph is your best guide.

I know what I would do if I wanted that number of loco but didn't want to take the possibly considerable risk of trying to remove the moulded top feed neatly...

• RMweb Gold

On page 6 of 'The Pannier Papers' covering the 54Xx/64XX/74XX, it describes how some of the 74XX were built with top feeds from new, and then goes on to say that top feeds were then fitted to the rest of the 64XX and 74XX classes, so it would appear that 6425 did eventually acquire one. Perhaps a dated photograph is your best guide.

I know what I would do if I wanted that number of loco but didn't want to take the possibly considerable risk of trying to remove the moulded top feed neatly...

Thank you for your reply Cap'n. My books are packed away, due to house moves.

6425 had a spell at Llantrisant, but my photos of the loco at Cowbridge show no top feed. Lord & Butler have a nice model of the loco on sale, but topfeed.....

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Thank you for your reply Cap'n. My books are packed away, due to house moves.

6425 had a spell at Llantrisant, but my photos of the loco at Cowbridge show no top feed. Lord & Butler have a nice model of the loco on sale, but topfeed.....

Ian

Do you know the date of the photos at Cowbridge, Ian? If you haven't got the book to hand, can you recall which one it was, if I have a copy I could check the date.

If I see any photos of the loco with a top feed, I'll let you know...

I've had a look through most of my books covering South Wales and whilst there are a lot of photos of 64XXs in action, most of these seem to have top feeds. Just one or two didn't, and they were probably scrapped like that. Couldn't find any photos of 6425, even though she was a South Wales engine around that time.

Would a different numbered South Wales-based 64XX with a top feed do?

Edited by Captain Kernow